Menu

DIY? Convience foods you stopped buy and began making yourself?

Has anyone stopped buying certain pre-made convenience foods and started making them from scratch? Please share recipes, if you are inclined.

I stopped buying taco seasoning packets.

I just make my own now from the seasonings in the cupboard:

Garlic powder

Onion powder

Cumin

Thyme

Oregano

fresh ground black pepper

sea salt

Chili powder

sometimes chipotle powder or cayenne if DH is not around, he doesn't like things really spicy

and a can of tomato juice (or a small can of sauce, if I have no juice) instead of water

ETA: I really can spell. Truly. It is so embarassing when you botch a thread title.

I also make my own taco season. I make my own refried beans using the recipe called Refried Beans with the Refry on allrecipes.com I make my own spaghetti sauce by buying a #10 can of plain sauce or crushed tomatoes from Sam's club for about $2.50. I freeze what I don't use. Then just add my own seasonings. There's stuff in canned spaghetti sauce that I don't care for (some sauces have corn syrup in them :glare: I also make my own beans starting from dried beans. I use my crockpot to cook them. Beans for chili & soup that is. Dh is still partial to Bush's Baked Beans, so I buy it in a #10 can also. (for about $4-5 I noticed the price went up recently. Another thing I buy is tomato past in a #10 can and freeze it. I use an ice cream scoop and scoop lumps onto waxed paper and then smash it down, freeze it, carefully take them apart and put into a ziplock bag and freeze the lumps. They are about the same amount as what a small can has. This last me for months and keeps well.

anyway, that was a little more on saving than just convience foods, but hopefully it helps someone. Oh, I never buy rice packets either, I always season it myself or make flavored rice. One of our favorites is a rice, spinach casserole.

Phlox

I have never bought a seasoning packet of anything - rather throw together the spices etc. myself. Mashed taters are always form scratch. Rice is never from a box. Cookies/cakes/pies etc. all from scratch (except for angel food cake - I am not messing with all those egg whites when the kids are going to eat the durn thing so fast! That I make from a mix.)

hubby brews his own beer - he thinks it taste better and that he is saving money. i asked him to brew me some Mikes but no luck yet. ;)

We make lots of stuff instead of buying convenience food. Taco seasoning, tortilla shells, bread, graham crackers, snack crackers, ketchup, pizza, etc...

I don't like buying frozen pizzas anymore because you can make them bigger and better at home.

kelly

I've often wondered about making crackers, does it save? And do you have any good tips for making them?

My whatever-you've-got spaghetti sauce recipe.

My healthy pancake mix.

My caesar salad dressing recipe.

I make my own taco/chili seasoning too. About a tablespoon of cumin seeds, a teaspon of coriander seeds (both toasted in a dry skillet, if I have time), a tablespoon of dried oregano, and one to four whole chillies. Grind in a coffee grinder, and walla! It's missing the dried garlic, which most mixes have, but I add lots of fresh to the recipe, so that's okay.

I also double any cookie recipe I'm making, and freeze a log or two for cookie emergencies. (This whole past year has been a cookie emergency. So we're all out.) Most of your standard cookie recipes can handle this--not meringue or lemon bars or something like that, but your standard drop cookies and cutout cookies and that sort of thing. (I've never actually bought premade cookie dough, but I can imagine cookie emergencies in which a responsible mom would have to do it.)

This recipe beats any boxed brownie, and isn't any more complicated. (Maybe the first time you make it, it is. But the second time--and there WILL be a second and third and twentieth and four hundredth time--it takes all of two extra minutes to get everything together and measure it.)

The Zatarian's Red Bean/White Bean seasoning mix became unavailable in my area, so I just started making my own. A "kit" for making gumbo, from Culinary Cuisine, also became unavailable, so I started making my own from scratch. My family say all are much better, too, LOL!

Now that I'm making a roux on a more regular basis, I'm thinking of beginning to toy with making other gravies, too.

I read your post several times thinking that whole list was things you make yourself. And I kep thinking, She makes her own sea salt? What a woman!

Anyway...

Cream soups. SO much better homemade. Once I learned to make a roux, I'e never looked back.

The book More With Less really helped me learn to make staples myself, including the cream soup.

After I married dh, I had to go from Prego to homemade spaghetti sauce. It's really easy to make.

A lot of things we just don't have anymore. I didn't really replace them with homemade alternatives. For example, Rice-a-Roni - now we have mixed brown and wild rice in olive oil instead.

For the most part, I don't use convenience foods anymore. Last night, since this has been a hectic week and I didn't plan ahead, I did use Stove Top stuffing and instant mashed potatoes, but that's extremely rare. The turkey was cooked the night before, since it was thawed, and I needed a meal fast. :glare:

I make my own taco seasoning, stuffing, cookies, bread, pizza crust, pancakes/waffles, sometimes tortillas--the kids just go through them so fast! My sister buys that Sloppy Joe mix in the can; I never have.

I have found lots of recipes that don't use creamed soups since dh has high blood pressure. No Hamburger Helper or such. The only soups I will buy occasionally are tomato soup and sometimes bean soup, tho I often make that myself.

Black beans and rice is easily made: add some cumin and garlic to the can of black beans. Serve over rice with your choice of toppings. We started out with the boxed stuff there.

I'm working on mac and cheese. I found a crockpot version we liked. It's just not a quicky food now. ;) Now that I've got jam down, I'll probably quit buying that.

I know there have to be other things. I know I pass lots of stuff in the aisles...

I wasn't sure that homemade spaghetti sauce was cheaper, it takes so many tomatoes... I did recently learn to make enchilada sauce tho, and a nice sized batch at that!

I've been wanting to try crackers; we go through lots of them with soup. I'm also toying with making yogurt, and I've seen making your own cheese, but I'm thinking that's more plausible if you own a dairy cow. :P

Transitioning into full time bread making.

These wonderful pumpkin chocolate cookies that cost $6 a dozen at our local organic food store.

Granola Bars is a new and VERY exciting one I recently tried and succeeded .....much, much tastier and, of course healthier.

Popcorn on the stovetop.

Pancakes and all that jazz.

Pizza occasionally.

Always Mac and Cheese.

The yogurt I too have been contemplating.

I love all the above ideas. I do hope they keep coming!!!

Emerald

We make most things from scratch.

Yogurt and granola (our basic breakfast meal)

all desserts, pies, cookies, bars, bread, etc

pancakes

white sauce

all soups -both broth and cream based

smoothies

some teas - chamomile, mint, I am experimenting with echinancea leaves)

salsa

all jellies

beans

applesauce

pesto

bruschetta (I actually found a canning recipe for this!)

Meatballs (the Swedish meatball recipe from the Joy of Cooking- I get a fam pack of hamburger and mix with deer meat- make a boatload of meatballs at a time and freeze them.

Hungarian cabbage rolls

We buy large cans of tomato sauce from Sams and freeze in ziplock baggies. I priced it out and even using homegrown tomatoes it is still cheaper to buy the large cans. I'm using our tomatos for salsa (more expensive) and for dried tomatoes (in the oven).

Guest Virginia Dawn

The only time I buy any kind of mixes for baked goods is for birthday cake and frosting. I would like to stop that but my kids would protest. :-)

I make my own: pancakes, muffins, cookies, cakes, quick breads, pies, and recently added yeast bread. I want to add tortillas.

I make my own seasoned coating mix for baking pork chops and chicken.

I make my own seasoned rice, bread crumbs, chocolate syrup, chocolate pudding, pizza, mac and cheese, chicken tenders, popcorn

Occasionally: ice cream, salsa, salad dressing,

I've often wondered about making crackers, does it save? And do you have any good tips for making them?

I'm not sure if it saves me money but I do know exactly what is in them. I can make them without preservatives and all the unhealthy stuff. I don't really have too many tips. Do a google search for homemade crackers and you'll come up with lots of recipes.

Kelly

I absolutely cannot stand store bought bread anymore. I'm on a routine with my Kitchen Aid.

Always make cake from scratch using Joy of Cooking one egg or lightening cake. Everyone asks what's so good about this cake--it's been so long since most people have eaten a scratch cake they don't know what cake is supposed to taste like.

Two nights ago we went to a dinner and awards ceremony for dd and others at a major downtown hotel. I was up all night with indigestion, which I NEVER get at home. What do they put into that stuff? Not only do I wonder about the mystery ingredients in groceries, but now restaurants too.

Danielle