Menu

Can someone help me buy a tablet for dd10?

The tablet is a reward for learning to type.  She has done a great job, and now we are stalled on the actual purchase.  I am rather behind the times in terms of technology and feeling rather overwhelmed at the options.   :confused1:

Currently, we have and old desktop, and old laptop, and dh has an iPad for work.  But we have never bought our own tablet.  I am not sure what to look for.  Here is what we want.   We offered this to her, because we believe that it will make writing easier for her, so we need a keyboard.  It would be nice to find an app that will help her to outline and plan her writing.  She will want to take pictures and videos, but that is not of primary importance.  We do not watch a lot of TV, so being able to watch movies is not a priority, either.  She will want to play some games.  I would like to keep the total cost under $150.

Is there anything in particular that we should be looking for?  Thanks!

ETA:  I am chronically ill and cannot make a trip to a store.  I need to buy something online.  

You might post on the chat board too...

Is there a Best Buy where you live? You could have them demonstrate various models then take that info home and discuss, maybe do some additional research. It might really help you to see some in action. Tech is changing rapidly. I really recommend you go look.

I am too sick to make that kind of trip.  I really need to just buy something online.  Thanks for your response.  

I am too sick to make that kind of trip.  I really need to just buy something online.  Thanks for your response.  

Oh, I am so sorry.  I can ask my husband.  He is a tech guy and it is also part of his job to evaluate what type of computer works best for different employees.  He is out of town but I should be hearing from him soon.  Hopefully he will have some good answers for you.   :grouphug:

I really like the kindle fire.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TSUGXKE/ref=ods_gw_d_h1_gv_tab_fire?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-hero-kindle-A&pf_rd_r=14GW3BTQSFZM5CDT0NBB&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2234129482&pf_rd_i=desktop

There are several models, and I think an external keyboard can be used via Bluetooth.

The web address should show a comparison between the models.

• Like 1

Ok, right now you can get into a kindle at that pricepoint, no problem.  I think android tablets and ipads are priced about the same.  You can get into an ipad 3 for about that price if you look on ebay, but that's getting a little slow on the wifi.  Does your budget change if you ask her to wait and pool her *christmas* (or whatever you celebrate) money with the $150?  That's what I did with my dd.  I did the same thing you're doing, letting her earn by learning to type, but I combined it with christmas money to get closer.  Even if you can go up just one model from the ipad 3 to the air, you'd have a lot faster wifi.  

The apps for android and ipad will typically be equivalent or pretty close to equivalent most of the time.  Unfortunately the apps for *kindle* will be less.  And the video editing, etc. won't be nearly as good on the kindle. Well I say that, and ds has just done a little using the built-in apps, nothing extra.  I guess go through the apps on amazon and see for yourself.  If you decide not kindle, then you're down to ipad vs. android.  I'm not a fan of android tablets, just me.  Do you have a phone, and if so what kind?  The android tablets (my mom's is a samsung) function basically like an android phone.  If that's what you're used to, well that's exactly how it will function.  I prefer the way the ipad pages bounce, the way the apps organize, etc.  It's just a difference though and I know there are people (supposedly, haha) who like their android tablets.  Either way, I'm not sure android vs. ipad is going to save you money.  

Have you thought about an ipad mini?  I'm not sure what they're going for.  Like if grandma and aunts and everyone gave her money toward it, plus you added your $150, could you get closer to an ipad mini?  My ds' kindle is the 7", and I really like that mini size for hauling around to listen to audiobooks.  It's big enough to play apps.  Or of course go with a larger (regular) ipad.  I'm just saying it's so close to Christmas, you might see if that can expand your options.  

Btw, I don't know if you need this, but the kindle has fabulous parental control options.

• Like 1

Are there are any particular apps you want to play?  We have several Kindle Fires (December is the BEST time to buy them, hands down, when Amazon offers their big sale.)  They are great, I like the size, and they've been pretty sturdy.  You can buy a refurb one pretty inexpensively too.

However, if there are specific apps you want, make sure they are available.  I really want Ronit Birds and the Barton tiles and I'm going to look at an iPad for Christmas simply because they aren't available for Android either.  It was disappointing to me.

• Like 1

DH and I have the Samsung Galaxy Tab 4.
We love the Samsung tablets for many reasons, but especially because of the parental controls. You can set it so that children can only access the apps within the child mode and can not get out unless the parents puts in the passcode.
It's around $180, but definitely worth it. 

I'm not a fan of android tablets, just me.  Do you have a phone, and if so what kind?  The android tablets (my mom's is a samsung) function basically like an android phone.  If that's what you're used to, well that's exactly how it will function.  I prefer the way the ipad pages bounce, the way the apps organize, etc.  It's just a difference though and I know there are people (supposedly, haha) who like their android tablets.  Either way, I'm not sure android vs. ipad is going to save you money.  

Have you thought about an ipad mini?  I'm not sure what they're going for.  Like if grandma and aunts and everyone gave her money toward it, plus you added your $150, could you get closer to an ipad mini?  My ds' kindle is the 7", and I really like that mini size for hauling around to listen to audiobooks.  It's big enough to play apps.  Or of course go with a larger (regular) ipad.  I'm just saying it's so close to Christmas, you might see if that can expand your options.  

Btw, I don't know if you need this, but the kindle has fabulous parental control options.

haha, this would be me. I LOVE my school issued iPad and it's very user friendly, but I much prefer the android tablet for parental controls. 

Dh's Kindle Fire didn't last long for him. Might have been a fluke, but we've been much happier with the tablet. 

Barnes and Nobles has a new tablet out for $250.00. They are giving $200.00 trade ins for some ipads. The final price with tax is less than $60.00 with some trade ins.

I think it is a Samsung Galaxy Tab E. I don't know what that really means. I think the screen is almost 10 inches. I didn't see any keyboards made just for it, but maybe you just have to buy them elsewhere than B&N.

Supposedly you can install the Kindle app and anything from Google Play.