Menu

Where do volunteer activities and awards go?

cjzimmer1

Sorry for so many questions lately but this board is a tremendous resource in helping me get through this stuff.

So I'm wondering where to list DS volunteer activities and awards that he has received?  I'm assuming the common app will have a place for this but we haven't gotten that far yet but the one we are currently working on is school specific and I haven't found a section for this.  Am I suppose to include it in one of the documents I'm producing?  Does is go as a footnote on the transcript?  The school profile?  The counselor's letter?  Is is it's own document?  I haven't found much discussion on this so I'm assuming it's something obvious to most people just not me.

Does the application not ask about extracurricular activities?

That's where such things belong. Not on an academic transcript.

I would elaborate in the counselor letter only if the activity took a lot of time and played a central role in my kid's life, and in the school profile only if my schooling philosophy centered around this activity.

Does the application not ask about extracurricular activities?

I will go back and check.  I know there was a page that mentioned work and sports, I bet that's where it was but my mind equated extracurricular with sports and dramas and other school programs and not volunteer stuff.  Thanks.

When you get to that point in the application, he will have a variety of areas to enter the information.  I don't remember exactly, but there was club involvement, volunteer activieies, work, awards, leadership roles?, etc..  Sometimes the hardest part was deciding where to list info and some ECs fit into several of the categories.  I think we repeated too much, and they do ask that you not do that, but it was hard not to.  If that makes sense.   I think you can look ahead in the application, but I think I blocked out quite a bit of the CA process.  It was the first year, glitchy and not even remotely fun.  Some recommenders couldn't get their LORs to go through.  In hindsight when I think of everything I did wrong, the hoops we didn't jump through (some we weren't even aware of),  technical glitches, etc. it's amazing dd was accepted anywhere!

Your son's activities and awards can be highlighted through LOR(s) from the activity facilitators.