Menu

Would any one please share school profile and/or counselor letter?

cave canem

• 2 weeks later...

Is the school profile where you put your educational philosophy - such as "We fly by the seat of our pants?" :blush:

Some do!

If you'd like to see what I included in the one I wrote for my daughter, I'd be happy to share with you (or others).  Simply send me a personal message with your email address.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

I used the Common App example as a guide, and kept it fairly short and simple, without much philosophy or homeschool specific information. I chose to include the demographic information because: 1) It is standard for schools to do so, and 2) I think the demographic information helps to illustrate that outstanding opportunities (academic, service, or extracurricular) were not just falling into the student's lap. 

Approved Home Study Program – Our High School

CEEB Code: 970000

Katilac, Home Educator

Phone Number

Email  

SCHOOL

Our High School is a home school that operates under the Home Study Program, which requires annual approval through the Board of Elementary and Secondary Education. Diplomas awarded through an approved home study program are recognized by all post-secondary educational institutions.

COMMUNITY

We are located in Our Town, a suburb of Our City which is within Our Public School System, a diverse district where approximately 76% of the students are considered economically disadvantaged.

CURRICULUM

The academic program is organized on a traditional daily schedule, with a college-preparatory curriculum that is designed to promote independent learning, hone critical thinking, and develop the skills needed to be successful as both a student and citizen. In addition, Our Local University enabled the student, as a junior and senior, to enroll in college courses on the main campus.

GRADING SCALE – PLUS AND MINUS GRADES ARE NOT USED

A (4) 93-100

B (3) 85-92

C (2) 75-84

D (1) 67-74 F (0) 66 or below

GRADE POINT AVERAGE (GPA) CALCULATION

GPA is computed using the above quality points. All subjects, beginning in grade 9, are included in the computation. Honors and college courses are weighted by one point. Grades are recorded on the transcript and GPA is computed in January and May. 

Our homeschool supplement also did not include any grand thoughts or details; it was 52 words long, and simply stated that the educational environment fostered intellectual curiosity and enabled the student to take more varied and specialized courses than they could have through the local district. 

Basically, I went with short and straightforward. I think it's a fine strategy unless one of the schools that seem to regard homeschoolers as a separate species are on your short list  :lol:

• Like 5

I looked at our local school's profile, some private schools in the area. and a few on this board.  Here's what I ended up doing:

Community

Philosophy

High School Curriculum and Grading

Grading Scale

Explanation of Credits and Transcript

Educational Partners

Our local high school's profile was lovely, but not all that helpful.

Information section covering: location, leadership, counselors, accreditation, community

School organization: describes block schedule, number of classes student is enrolled in, length of semester

School demographics

Grading Calculations - I had included this on my transcript and referred to that in order to save space

Graduation Requirements

Curriculum

AP/College-Level Courses

Testing Information - Averages

Academic Statistics for the Previous Year