Menu

An Audiobook Thread

What are you listening to right now? What are your kids listening to?

We need new ideas at our house!

Here are some of the current audiobooks my kids enjoy in the evenings:

The Buccaneers' Code (book 3 of the Very Nearly Honorable League of Pirates)

Mrs. Rapscott's Girls

The Candy Shop War

The Whizz Pop Chocolate Shop

The Wollstonecraft Detective Agency

We're a little young for you, but we love audiobooks here. I usually buy audiobooks from audible when they are on sale or deal of the day, so we have an eclectic mix. Some others are more deliberate and not all of these are on Audible.

The girls' favorites include:

Winnie the Pooh

Augie and the Green Knight

Little House on the Prairie and Big Woods

Frozen and Big Hero Six (They were a dollar each! I know they are twaddle, but the girls adore them)

The Complete Tales of Beatrix Potter

D'Aulaires Book of Greek Myths

Ivy and Bean

How to Train Your Dragon

Classics for Kids (Vivaldi's Ring of Mystery, Beethoven Lives Upstairs, etc.)

Nim's Island

The Sheep-Pig

A Bear Called Paddington

Ones I enjoyed recently:

The Martian

TimeBound Series

Jane Eyre

Ender's Game

Bossypants

The Saturdays (and the rest of the Melendy Quartet)

Geronimo Stilton (but only up until the narrator changes...maybe book 9 or so?)

Boxcar Children...gave up on reading these in order, enjoyed number #70 or #80 recently.

For my older one, Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, etc., and for school, A Single Shard, Amos Freedman, The Golden Gobblet, Across Five Aprils (one narrator was better than the other, listen to samples).  I forget all the things she's listened to for school, but those are some of the favorites I remember listening to with her.  I typically go through the lists for Sonlight each year, and gather up any that are available on audiobook.

Mine are a little older than yours, but I'm cycling back around with the Enchanted Forest Chronicles for ds#1. He just finished Chris Grabenstein's Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library & The Island of Dr. Libris. He's also working on the Blue Balliett series that starts with "Chasing Vermeer."

Hope you get some great ideas!

When I had several about those ages, they adored Neil Patrick Harris's readings of Henry and Ribsy and B. D. Wong's Ralph S. Mouse.

Cricket in Times Square was popular.

We liked Little Britches: Father and I Were Ranchers, but it's a little coarse. Not bad, just a little less refined than Little House.

The Great Brain was a hit. I recall it being funny.

Shoot, what was the one Mark Hamill read about brownies? Oh, yes, the Spiderwick Chronicles.

I thought Phantom Tollbooth, read by David Hyde Pierce, was a riot, but DD didn't like it. Don't know why. Hilarious story. The puns. Oh, the puns.

I liked the recordings of Narnia, but my dear children said they preferred Mommy's voice reading them.

Jim Broadbent reading Pooh never, ever gets old.

The 68 Rooms by Marianne Malone. I recommend those all the time here, but my children (and I) utterly loved those books. A little mystery, a little fantasy, a little art, a little history, with both a girl and a boy as the main characters -- those books had everything!

I wonder if the Mixed Up Files has an audio book. I read it to the older ones, but in a couple of years, my younger boys will like it. It would be a good car book.

Me: And Then There Were None read by Dan Stevens.

Kids: The Fellowship Of The Ring and Where The Red Fern Grows

In the car with everyone: Harry Potter and the Sorcerors Stone.

Past Favorites:

The Chronicles of Narnia - read by British actors, BBC dramatization or Focus On The Family dramitization. I have all of them and listen on long car trips.

Wizard Of Oz read by Anne Hathaway.

Little Britches

How To Train Your Dragon narrated by David Tennant.

Socks The Cat narrated by Neil Patrick Harris

Peter and The Starcatchers narrated by Jim Dale

A Christmas Carol narrated by Patrick Stewart

We are currently listening to The Railway Children, but it's kind of dragging on.  We only listen in the car though.  Hope to be done this week, then I also have Cheaper by the Dozen out from the library.  I bought The Phantom Tollbooth on CD because our library doesn't carry it and we loved it as a read aloud a couple of years ago, so we plan to listen to that soon too.

I'm always looking for the biggest bag for my buck (monthly audible credit). I search for the longest stories in the children's section for one credit. So far, the complete Wizard of Oz series, The Once and Future King, The Adventure Collection, the complete Ramona, the complete Henry Higgins and other Beverly Clearly collections have been incredible successes. We rarely listen to audiobooks as a family, it's all on them during their free time and they adore these books.

Some might be interested in this free Audible offering ~

ETA: Especially if you have 13 hours and 26 minutes at your disposal!

FREE: Locke & Key by Joe Hill, Gabriel Rodriguez, Haley Joel Osment and Tatiana Maslany (Oct 5, 2015)Original recording

Based on the best-selling, award-winning graphic novel series Locke & Key - written by acclaimed suspense novelist Joe Hill (NOS4A2, Horns) and illustrated by Gabriel Rodriguez - this multicast, fully dramatized audio production brings the images and words to life.

A brutal and tragic event drives the Locke family from their home in California to the relative safety of their ancestral estate in Lovecraft, Massachusetts, an old house with powerful keys and fantastic doors that transform all who dare to walk through them. As siblings Tyler, Kinsey, and Bode Locke discover the secrets of the old house, they also find that it's home to a hate-filled and relentless creature that will not rest until it forces open the most terrible door of them all....

Featuring performances by Haley Joel Osment (Entourage, The Sixth Sense), Tatiana Maslany (Orphan Black), Kate Mulgrew (Orange Is the New Black, Star Trek: Voyager), Joe Hill, Gabriel Rodriguez, and Stephen King (The Stand, 11-22-63), as well as a cast of more than 50 voice actors, this audio production preserves the heart-stopping impact of the graphic novel's astounding artwork through the use of richly imagined sound design and a powerful original score.

Locke & Key is FREE until November 4, 2015.

*Locke & Key contains explicit language and adult situations.

Regards,

Kareni

Mysterious Benedict Society series was a huge hit here. We started with the Extraordinary Education of Nicholas Benedict.

From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler

The Carpet People by Terry Prachett

the Mercy Watson collection is hilarious

The Tale of Despereaux (sp?)

Beatrix Potter The Complete Tales of Peter Rabbit were better in audio than when I read them out loud - must be the British accent. :)

Indian in the Cupboard

Pippi Longstocking

A Bear Called Paddington

• Like 1

We're in the middle of the Artemis Fowl series right now.

Recently we have enjoyed:

A Snicker of Magic

Savvy (Ingrid Law)

Bell Bandit (Jacqueline Davies; Lemonade Wars characters)

White Giraffe and Dolphin Song (Lauren St. John, I think.  There are two more books in the series, that our library doesn't have on audio)

Flush, Chomp, Hoot, Scat (Carl Hiaason; different narrators for each, some are better than others)

How to Eat Fried Worms (narrated by Jay O. Sanders - LOVE his voice!)

I know these books aren't everyone's cup of tea, but we listened to the entire Lemony Snickett series and loved every bit of it (except the one narrated by the author--it switches back to being narrated by Tim Curry who is excellent).

How to train your dragon (narrated by David Tennant) was great. In similar vein so was Odd and the Frost Gians, by Nail Gaiman narrated by the same).

Chitty chitty bang bang narrated by David Tennant was good as well.

For myself, I'm mostly listening to great courses and BBC-produced dramatized versions of books (like Life and Fate). Nothing that memorable comes to mind there