Menu

GED for St Louis University?UPDATE in post 1

regentrude

Does anybody have experiences with St Louis University?

On the admissions page, SLU states:

"SLU welcomes admission applications from home-schooled students. Home-schooled applicants must submit all secondary-level transcripts and official ACT or SAT test scores. If transcripts from an accredited home-schooling program are not available, an official copy of a GED certificate must be submitted for consideration for admission. "

Anybody encountered that? Did you jump through this hoop?

UPDATE:

We contacted the admissions counselor who is assigned to homeschooled applicants. His response:

The wording from the excerpt  "If transcripts from an accredited home-schooling program are not available, an official copy of a GED certificate must  be submitted for consideration for admission. " can be confusing to all of our homeschool applicants.  We take homeschool transcripts.  The student does not have to take the GED if complying with state law. 

This now puts SLU in the running for possible schools for DS. yeah!

• Like 8

" an accredited home-schooling program" 

Not sure what that really means?

Any state standards for HS that you could show being fulfilled?

I believe in your case forcing the GED is an insult.  I assume your DS has good SAT scores etc.

I think you are running into one downside of a pure home-schooling experience.  It may limit your college choices.

You may want to look at this similar thread:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/565404-ny-schools-wanting-proof-of-high-school-diploma/

Not sure what that really means?

Any state standards for HS that you could show being fulfilled?

I believe in your case forcing the GED is an insult.  I assume your DS has good SAT scores etc.

I think you are running into one downside of a pure home-schooling experience.  It may limit your college choices.

Thanks. We did not mention the word "insult" when we contacted the admissions office, but we certainly mentioned that we are hesitant because of the associated stigma.

I updated the OP: they take transcripts and the wording is "confusing". You'd think they'd change the wording if they are aware of that.

I have not encountered any limitations during DD's college search. Here's to hoping this continues.

• Like 1

The wording from the excerpt  "If transcripts from an accredited home-schooling program are not available, an official copy of a GED certificate must  be submitted for consideration for admission. " can be confusing to all of our homeschool applicants.  We take homeschool transcripts.  The student does not have to take the GED if complying with state law. 

How odd.  To me, it seems confusing because they are asking for something that they don't actually require.  

Glad you got a good update.

Thanks. We did not mention the word "insult" when we contacted the admissions office, but we certainly mentioned that we are hesitant because of the associated stigma.

I updated the OP: they take transcripts and the wording is "confusing". You'd think they'd change the wording if they are aware of that.

I have not encountered any limitations during DD's college search. Here's to hoping this continues.

It's not confusing because homeschoolers have problems understanding.  It's confusing because they ask for an accredited transcript, but don't really require that.

I agree that they should change the wording.