Menu

What are your favorite gifts for a postpartum mom?

My twin sister is about to have her second child. So far I'm thinking about a small box of chocolates, a Pilates for postpartum mothers book, but what else? :)

If you know some of your sister's friends, you could get 3 or 4 of them to bring her a meal every other day, so she won't have to be cooking very much. Although this doesn't sound like much, it will mean the world to your sister, and her friends will love doing it. Make sure you let them know what she hates to eat, so they don't make it.:rolleyes:

Something I loved was a friend of mine knew we would get meals for a few days after I brought little bit home so she made me some frozen meals that I could pop in the oven in the coming weeks on days when things got to hectic. With the two olders ready for me to be off bedrest once he was home the meals came in terribly handy.

Melissa

I didn't receive them myself, but they were given to a very good friend of mine last time she had a baby... gift certificates for a specialty frozen foods retailer. All their products are frozen and usually one-dish meals. Easy, simple and fantastic for any new mother! I thought it was a great idea vs. having meals brought to her b/c this way she had a choice in what they ate for supper.

Meals are such a great gift too!... I found that last time we had a baby we got about 7 of the same meal. Very thoughtful and appreciated but, honestly, everyone was pretty sick of hamburger soup by the end of it...

I didn't receive them myself, but they were given to a very good friend of mine last time she had a baby... gift certificates for a specialty frozen foods retailer. All their products are frozen and usually one-dish meals. Easy, simple and fantastic for any new mother! I thought it was a great idea vs. having meals brought to her b/c this way she had a choice in what they ate for supper.

Meals are such a great gift too!... I found that last time we had a baby we got about 7 of the same meal. Very thoughtful and appreciated but, honestly, everyone was pretty sick of hamburger soup by the end of it...

The key to meals being a blessing is having an organized person let the meal prep folks know who is making what on which day.

For my 2nd - 5th babies, we didn't have any repeat dinners. Yay!

A fully-cooked meal in a disposable pan that doesn't need to be washed and returned.

A "just for you" basket for the mom. Nothing in it for the baby (chocolates, nail polish, gift certificate for a pedicure, gift certificate for dinner for two at her favorite restaurant).

Go do her laundry for a week (or two).

Bring extra food that can be stored in the freezer, already prepared.

Clean her house.

Does she have other kids? Take them out for lunch, pick them up from school, or just hang out with them at home while she is busy with the baby.

Stay with the baby during nap time so mom can actually sleep during nap time too (I was never able to sleep when the baby slept. I was afraid I'd sleep through them waking up! LOL).

I agree--food food food. Especially if you are homeschooling in the midst of having a baby. I had food for two weeks after my last was born, it was wonderful. We also have had showers for ladies at churches where we all bring a frozen casserole/dish (homemade or store bought). That has been a great hit for those of us with smallish kids.

One of the best postpartum gifts I got was a huge fruit tray from the grocery store. Snacked on that for days.

Many years ago, my husband (then boyfriend) had double-hernia surgery that knocked him on his backside for several days. His mom is not local, so she had a dinner for two from a local rib joint delivered to the apartment. We grazed on that for at least two days, and I still remember that fondly. (i was not much of a cook -- only somewhat less scary at it now)

And the childcare for the older child is priceless.