Menu

Why outsource?

Hi ladies,

I sort of started discussing this on another thread and realized I should start a new one. Once you hit middle and high school, what are the reasons you might outsource? What do you feel are good options to keep at home? If you aren't good at "x" or "y", do you definitely get help elsewhere? What if not being good at something just means it's not your strongest area? I ask these things because I really would love to keep history, literature and writing at home because I am absolutely loving it. However, I'm no expert and don't want to short change my kids because I am loving the content. But sometimes I end up feeling like everything will be outsourced at some point :)

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!

I outsourced French. I am only a learner myself and not fluent, and without a fluent teacher, we were not progressing past a certain level. DD took five semesters at the university, starting in 10th grade.

We also outsourced physics and literature to the university because DD needed  the challenge of college classes for 11th and 12th grade (I would have had the expertise in physics, but not literature). It was what made it possible to delay her high school graduation until age 17.

With DS, I am not outsourcing anything.

I will keep history, literature and writing at home until my kids are ready for college classes, likely.  If I outsource, it will be to an online writing class just to give them the feedback of someone else.  I am confident in these areas.  I am teaching 9th grade English at our co-op this year with my boys and eight other students.

I outsourced math for one of my boys in Algebra after a disastrous first semester.  Math was a source of conflict for us.  Jann in Texas's math classes work well for him and have helped our relationship.  I only regret not outsourcing math sooner for him.  

I am not a competent math teacher past pre-Algebra.  I accept this.  My students will either need to self-teach (as one son is currently doing) or be outsourced.  I plan to outsource little dd beginning possibly in pre-A, in order to get her used to an online class.  I will be very glad when I am not responsible for anyone's math learning.

I outsource science beginning early in elementary just because our co-op offers it, and it is fun for my kids to take it in a small group setting.  Middle and high school sciences involve labs, and I appreciate being able to outsource these.

I outsourced Latin for three years for my boys from 5th - 8th to co-op to someone with a college Latin background.

I'm outsourcing Spanish this year for my boys because I think it is a better education than I can provide.

We have a good community college system, so I will outsource some dual credit courses at some point for all of my kids.

I am currently kind of in burn out mode so I think about potentially outsourcing little dd's high school to a good local university model college prep school.  If I do this, I have four years to go after this year with her and then I can not be the primary responsible person for subjects.  

In truth, we take each year as it comes.  Changes in co-op, kids' needs, my willingness to take on certain subjects, financial resources, and other variables enter into the decision-making process so I can't make a solid plan more than a year in advance.

• Like 3

I need a break from my kids and they need a break from each other. Outsource classes cost about the same as babysitting. My kids want to be with their age peers for recess, lunch breaks and what have you.

For the classes I outsource, German was because hubby and I are not good enough at German to teach correctly. Chinese was because they enjoy learning as a group of kids. Cello because neither hubby nor I are good at strings instruments. Art because neither of us can teach pottery which is what my boys want to learn. Golf because we don't know how to play golf but kids want to play. Science is a hands-on class and they like having different lab partners every week.

I outsource physics, literature and math to online classes because my kids think I am too stingy/critical on grades.

• Like 2

I'm outsourcing French. I let her pick her language because I'm done trying to make a foreign language happen. She's taking an online class and she's loving it.

I outsourced history this year too because I just didn't want to mess with it. I like history a lot and have this tenancy to let it take over my life and then it's all too much. So she's doing that online as well.

We attend a co-op because she absolutely loves it and all her friends go there. She's taking writing and a few electives. But the writing class she's taking is being taught by me so it doesn't count as outsourcing. But she really wanted to take it. :)

She's also doing programming with my husband which very much does feel like outsourcing because it's completely beyond my ability to help her with it.

So this year has been very different in a good way. I help her juggle everything, and there's a lot to juggle. I make sure she's keeping up with it all and help her out with anything she's getting lost on.

I'm doing this because I can't do everything to the same level. Some subjects I'm good and some I'm not. I always knew there would come a point where I felt unable to offer her what I felt she needed in some areas. This year will be the last year I teach math. I can probably do math beyond this point, but I don't feel able to teach it.

It's also nice to have other teachers demanding things of her. She takes those deadlines seriously and works hard not to disappoint her teachers. I've also seen her handle communicating with her teachers very well. When an assignment was going to be late, she emailed her teacher to talk about what needed to be done. When she ran into technical difficulties turning in an assignment, she figured out how to get it to her teacher.

And sometimes it's just nice to not have to worry about it. I was totally overwhelmed by history and then decided, you know what? I'm not doing this class. :)

Next year she will take French, Geometry, and probably a science class online. Possibly a 4th, we'll have to see how money is next year. I wouldn't want to homeschool high school without outsourcing. I simply don't think I could do the job I would want to do.

Possible reasons I would outsource:

- course that requires an audience or group (theater, public speaking, etc.)

- course that requires live one-on-one teaching/feedback in an area that mom knows nothing about, and just video tutorials alone won't help the student progress properly (musical instrument instruction, etc.)

- opportunity for the student to work with an amazing outside teacher

- opportunity that couldn't be reproduced as well at home

- subject area mom was weak in

- subject area a student was "fighting" mom in

- student works harder for someone else other than mom (esp. for core subject areas like writing or math)

- subject area in which the student had special needs, and a more knowledgable option was available via outsourcing

- subject area mom was not very interested in teaching (would free mom to teach mom's strengths/interests)
- lots of youngers with high need of mom's time, and the older student was ready, willing and interested in outsourcing
- life circumstances require more of mom's time/energy, so outsourcing for a season is necessary

You also asked "what…are good options to keep at home"… For your specific situation, if you're strong is some areas and love doing them with your student -- keep doing them at home! The subjects you mentioned -- History, Literature and Writing -- are GREAT to do at home in middle/high school, because you and your student can so easily create your own unique courses that are far more awesome than outsourcing options. :)

So, that leaves things like Math, Science, Foreign Language, Art/Music, and Electives (things like PE, Health, Logic, Driver's Ed, Computer, Bible, Vocational-Tech, special interests, etc.). I suggest taking a look at these other subject areas, and decide if you and/or your student *want* to outsource any of them, and what your outsourcing options are. I wouldn't outsource "just to outsource" -- I'd want to make sure that there was a good reason for it -- it's a co-op so also doubles as desirable social time, earns dual credit, or it's an outstanding teacher, it's a unique opportunity, or other worthwhile reason that is unique for your family. :)

You can get a taste of outsourcing without actually outsourcing (lol) by going through a series of lectures with a Great Course series, or a free open source intro-level course from a college, or signing up (just your student, or both of you) for a Coursera class -- intro level college courses free and open to the public, with the option of several levels of commitment -- just register and read along, or do the full schedule of readings, discussions, and write the papers.

What we sort-of outsourced (would have been outsourcing, but I was the teacher, so not really outsourcing for *us* ;) ):

- public speaking co-op class -- needed a group/audience

- study skills co-op class -- I figured if we were going to cover it, we might as well help other families out too

What we actually did outsource, and why:
- PE -- both DSs had the opportunity to participate on the public high school's varsity tennis team
- Elective: Worldview -- both DSs really enjoyed these summer high school camps, and asked to return each year; we supplemented the credit with books done together at home

- Fine Arts: Drumming -- private one-on-one lessons for DS#2 fine arts credit

- Foreign Language -- dual enrollment at CC for both DSs, since I could not provide adequate instruction and language practice, and it allowed DSs to "dip a toe" into college level work before going to college full time

Enjoy your middle/high school journey, whatever the amount of outsourcing or no! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

• Like 4

I haven't outsourced anything yet, but these would be some of my reasons for doing so:

-giving them exposure to a classroom setting and a teacher other than mom (college recommendation letters!)

-earning college credit

-a subject I didn't feel confident in (ie higher level foreign language)

-time (I only have so much to go around)

-pooling of resources that would be hard to get at home

• Like 2

Much like above, I have begun outsourcing because Ds has maxed me out in a few places. Piano came this year. The depth of teaching is so vastly incredible compared to me. Yes, he would have learned the piano from a combo of me and YouTube, but he would not see passion for music. Ds has passion for music. Being with a teacher who also does has changed the way he plays. Being with other students who are passionate has given him a room full of others some better, some worse, but all learning to express their passion.

I am passionate about math. There is no need to outsource that one, other than possiblly for the mere reason that Ds doesn't want to learn from Mom anymore. You know, at some point, none of us want to hear from our parents about certain things anymore.

Latin will come next year and shortly thereafter Japanese and Spanish.

You can still learn and enjoy even if you outsource. I had to bring in The Great Courses for all the various ancient literature Ds was getting so geeked out about. Good Grief! I never even heard of Herodotus before classical homeschooling, much less be able to really say much intelligent about the man. So Ds and I learned together. I am going to be very excited to listen in on Lukieon 2nd and 3rd year Latin. I will more than likely do the assignments right along side him. I had the basics in Catholic school, but do not know much past first (or 1st and a half) year. The idea of learning along side my son is a great deal of why I love to homeschool. It shows him that even adults still learn new things, get excited to keep expanding themselves, and no one is the best at everything. It is also really nice for him to help me with various things so we can share the roles of student and teacher.

• Like 1

We outsourced some subjects because I discovered we needed to have external deadlines to keep us going. It has been especially important in subjects like physics, where I'd rather poke fingers in my eyes than read the textbook.

...Also because I'm tired, and when it stops being fun for me it stops being fun for everyone.

Languages, too. Little hope of getting a child fluent and exam-ready in a language I've never studied.

I figure I've done it DIY for many years, with considerable time and energy costs to me; I'm able to shake off any feelings of guilt I might feel about outsourcing this year.

Outsourcing happens here for one of two reasons:  1. I don't feel I can do the subject justice and 2. the kids want the group experience.  

Classes that happen because of #1:  Foreign Language, Music, and some higher math.

Classes that happen because of #2: Lab science, dance, etc.

Our senior year is almost all DE classes for a third reason, in combination with the first two:  They can get a grant that pays for up to 12 credit hours of community college.

I could get by and check boxes by doing everything entirely at home.  However, I feel like their education is greatly benefited by outsourcing some subjects.  

• Like 4

But what about socialization????  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

My kids LOVE being with other kids.  My youngest is my most outgoing and social and he would thrive in the right full time school environment.

We outsource for math in high school because it is beyond my expertise and because my DH is not a great teacher (shhh.....don't tell him I said that!)  I want them to not only do the work, but GET it and hopefully excel at it.   Oh, and higher level science too.

However, we are kind of done homeschooling.  Oldest will be going to CC in January as a dual enrollment student.  Middle has opted to go to a charter high school for 10th grade.  Youngest (6th) is so self sufficient I barely teach him anymore and he will go to the same charter starting in 7th grade.

Dawn

My main reason would be what others are saying here about subjects I'm just not qualified to teach at a high enough level or subjects that are better in a group.

My kids are in middle school and I haven't found many of these things yet outside the arts. However, we've dropped the ball on foreign language, so there's that.

One reason I didn't see mentioned much was that sometimes you're capable, the kid is capable, and yet there's a disconnect or a block. And you just have to throw up your hands and say, oh well, someone else can teach this.

• Like 1

I outsource foreign languages because I'm not fluent.  

DS has a math tutor because my brain simply doesn't work the way his does.  DD takes classes with AoPS for the same reason.

I outsource writing and some english beginning in middle school to help free up time for other things and to give the kids outside accountability and a classroom experience.

Oldest DD and I are auditing some college classes together, so those are technically outsourced.  It's been a wonderful learning experience for us both.

We outsourced a few things, but another option to outsourcing is to find a good video/computer course. That's kind of a "middle of the road" option--someone else is doing the teaching, but you can still be involved (if you choose or want to be). We outsourced:

• PE--our local Y does a class for homeschoolers, LOVE that I can drop them off, they get group games, calisthenics, and swim time at the end.
  • Music lessons--I've done music lessons at home, and it's one place we didn't connect well--much rather outsource
  • Art lessons--same as music
  • Speech--we did a co-op for this. The group environment was very helpful here. 

We did video/computer for:

• Writing--I still help with revising and do the final grading, but it was nice to have a video do the teaching
  • math--I really enjoy math, but I wanted someone else giving the first explanation, and me to walk alongside in that process, help with corrections/finding errors etc...
  • foreign language--we did a video course with a book and workbook for Japanese. No one in town teaches Japanese, and I certainly can't! So, I let him pursue this interest (at first thinking I'd learn alongside....ha! That lasted 10 lessons! But the basics actually did help me with coaching and encouraging. I only checked quizzes though--he had to check all of his homework, find mistakes and try to understand them on his own. He felt he was able to though). 
  • We also did a computer course for Spanish, which I probably could outsource but it's working well enough I don't want to.
  • Robotics--used a computer program

We did science with a text book and labs at home, and did history with a text and literature-based curriculum we enjoy. I like doing most things at home, and found ways to make that work for us. 

Find things that work for you and enjoy! Don't feel you have to outsource--or conversely that you have to do it all yourself.