Menu

More Math Questions...MUS and 7th grade

Kim in SouthGa

My 12 ds scored low on the PASS test in math a few weeks ago. He is about 2/3 through Epsilon. So, I started looking at some different math programs, and I am really surprised that MUS does not cover so many things that are in standard textbooks, like graphs, charts, statistics & probablility-and the level of word problems in MUS also seems quite easy. I was telling this to my dh, and he was shocked that anyone would buy a program that didn't cover these things. Am I missing something? I love MUS for the little ones, but I'm just not sure about higher math.

My experience is that homeschool targeted math programs are sub-par to standard high school math texts. I have used MUS's alg/geo program with 4 of my kids as pre-alg/pre-geo. There is absolutely no comparison between MUS and textbooks like Foerster, Larson, or Koeberlein. There is a significant difference in complexity of application.

Rod & Staff math. When my ds took IOWA std test in grade 7 (never took std tests prior) and The Catholic High School Placement Exam in gr. 8, I was surprised by what they expected him to know that wasn't covered in R&S math (finished R&S math 8 in gr.7). He still did well on the math portion but not as well as I thought he would have because he just wasn't shown some math things.

We switched younger ds to CLE math after I bought CLE math 3 grades ahead to make sure this didn't happen again.

My advice is look way ahead to see what is and is not covered in your math program compared to where your dc need to be if you plan to std test them or put them back into school at some point.

MUS is a VERY different scope and sequence. My experience with my oldest who used MUS was poor testing. She couldnt solve problems she had never been taught much less seen. This prompted me to switch to another program for her and start younger dc on another program.

There are some good math programs out there. I personally like BJU and TT. My gf uses Abeka until 7th grade then switches to Saxon so she can use the DIVE cds. My experience using BJU with my youngest was very good. It covers the standard material. I did use the MUS dvd to help explain long division.

A word about TT. . . . Many have criticized the program for not being rigorous enough. I do think it is a number grade off. My 6th grader did TT7 last year and my 4th grader is doing TT5 this year. If you are interested in the program, I would urge you to take the placement test and call the company. My 7th grader is doing TT Pre-Algebra this year. She was very close to doing Algebra 1. She probably could have done Algebra 1. But, I felt she needed another year to solidify math in her brain. She will do Algebra 1 in 8th grade

I have a friend who loves VideoText math and another who cant stand it. I hear good things about ChalkDust at our local group - but the price is pretty high.

The only other thing I can suggest is using the Keys to . . . Series so you can fill in whatever gaps your dc might have.

HTH

I like Singapore math a lot. But ds10 was at a roadblock and I just ordered MUS (gamma.) I felt like we needed a new approach and a new "start" that would be more visual for him. We have used Saxon for high school math and been pleased with the rigorousness. I hadn't made a final decision for this ds yet about high school math. Foersters is definitely an option. But from what you're saying, even if we change for high school, will MUS put us so far behind that he won't be ready for high school level math?

I am unfamiliar with where students finish when they finish the non-high school sequence of MUS, so I can't answer that question. I can only say that the high school sequence, while covering the same topics as Foerster, Larson, etc. does not cover them anywhere near to the same degree. MUS's problems are very concrete, very repetitive, and duplicate all the examples. FOerster's level of difficulty surpasses anything found in MUS. They require a different level of application, integration, and over all comprehension.

I loved MUS for the early years, but we supplemented with Singapore's CWP. This year, we are using MUS Algebra and Life of Fred Algebra. We will not continue with MUS after this year because of its simplicity.

Regarding testing, here is an excerpt from my MUS review:

When my son was about ½ way through Epsilon (5th grade), I had to have him evaluated due to state law. He took the Woodcock Johnson test (national test which only took 30 minutes total), and the results were startling. His math calculation came out upper 8th grade and his math reasoning came out mid 9th grade! It took me a while to understand this. It does not mean that he is doing 8th/9th grade math work. It means that my son, working at 5.5 grade level, does as well as the average 8th/9th grader. When he was ½ way through Zeta (6th grade), he took the Kaufman Test of Educational Achievement and scored post high school in math. After MUS Pre-Algebra, he scored 11.4 on the math total of the ITBS.