Menu

Does anyone have a good granola recipe?

My favorite granola is the Nature's Path organic granola that our food co-op orders, but it's so expensive. It has little puffs of rice type cereal in it. http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Path-Organic-Granola-11-5-Ounce/dp/B000FBZQ1M

Does anyone have an absolute favorite granola recipe? I want to try something different. I've haven't made homemade granola in a while because what we do have is still in container because of lack of interest!

Thanks,

Kristine

6 cups rolled oats

3/4 cups raw pumpkin seeds

1 cup dried cranberries

1 cup raw almond pieces

1 cup raw walnut pieces

2/3 cup flax seeds

1 cup raisins

pinch of salt

1 tsp. cinnamon (optional)

1 cup shaved coconut (optional)

1 cup chocolate chips (optional)

1 cup brown rice syrup

1/3 cup honey

Mix all dry ingredients together in a large bowl. (If using chocolate chips, it's best to add them after the baking process.) Add rice syrup and honey, mixing until well coated. Spread out onto cookie sheet (jelly roll pan) and bake for 15 minutes at 350°.

HTH,

Doran

I always make half this recipe...

*Granola Mix*

10 c Old Fashioned Rolled Oats

1 c Wheat Germ

1/2 lb Shredded Coconut

2 c Shelled Raw Sunflower Seeds

1 c Sesame Seeds

3 c Chopped Nuts

1 1/2 c Brown Sugar, Firmly Packed

1 1/2 c Water

1 1/2 c Vegetable Oil

1/2 c Honey

1/2 c Molasses

1 1/2 tsp Salt

2 tsp Cinnamon

3 tsp Vanilla

Raisins Or Other Dried Fruit

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. (150 degrees F). In a large bowl combine oats, wheat germ, coconut, sunflower seeds, sesame seed and nuts (can include sliced almonds, pecans, walnuts, or a combination of all of them). Blend well. In a large saucepan combine brown sugar, water, oil, honey, molasses, salt, cinnamon, and vanilla. Heat until sugar is dissolved, but do not boil. Pour the syrup over the dry ingredients and stir until well-coated. Spread onto five 13 X 9-inch baking pans, or jelly roll pans. Bake 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Bake 15 minutes longer for crunchier texture. Cool. Add raisins or other dried fruit, if desired. Put in airtight containers and store in a cool dry place. Use within 6 months. Makes about 20 cups of mix.

Granola

• One big package Quaker Oatmeal, old fashioned type. A generic oatmeal can be used, I just use the big Quaker because I don't measure it. It is probably about 12 cups.
  • About 2 cups of wheat germ
  • 2-4 cups of nuts (I use whole pecans)
  • 1 C sunflower seeds
  • 1 C of unsweetened coconut (if you like this)
  • 2 big handfuls brown sugar
  • About three fourths cup of honey
  • About one half cup molasses
  • About three fourths cup of water
  • 1 C of canola oil

Mix dry ingredients in large cooking pot. Mix wet ingredients in bowl. Combine dry and wet, mix well.

Spread the granola into about 4 big pans and put into a 325 oven.

Stir them every 10 minutes or so until they begin to get toasted (not burned). After the first hour turn the oven down to 300 and continue toasting and stirring for another half hour. It is done when the granola is a nice light brown color and fragrant.

If you want to add any dried fruit (craisins, etc) do it after the granola is out of the oven.

Let it cool completely before storing in covered containers. You want it completely dry and cool.

This recipe is VERY forgiving. I use whatever I have on hand. It is heavenly when eaten on top of a big scoop of plain yougurt. To me it is much, much tastier than anything I have ever bought in a store.

This is a staple in our house, we make a double batch every 2 weeks or so.

Fast and Easy Granola

1/3 C brown sugar

1/3 C vegetable oil

1/3 C honey

Mix above in saucepan and heat until combined.

5 C oatmeal

½ C dry milk

¾ tsp cinnamon

pinch of salt

peanuts (1/2 C – optional)

Combine above dry ingredients in 9x13 pan. Pour sugar mixture over dry mixture and mix well. Bake at 375 for 10 minutes. Let cool in pan. Add raisins and/or dates (1/2 C) at this time. Store in airtight container.

We do not add the nuts, they weren't a hit in our house, but we do use a lot of dried fruits after the granola has cooled. We always eat ours with plain, low fat yogurt for breakfast (or dessert!); it's the favorite food of my 2yo. HTH:)