Menu

Scheduling for MCT?

Above The Rowan

So my son and I are working through the first level of MCT and he is loving it. We just finished Grammar Island and he wants to do Building Language next.

Is there an ideal order or sequence to do this series in? I had planned to follow the schedule on the Satori Smiles blog. But now we decided to jump into BL next instead of her recommended Hemispheres.

He is so in love with all of this MCT stuff and he's looked through all the books (we have several of level two as well) and he just wants to do it all right now. I'm letting him sort of drive this particular subject because normally he struggles with language arts so it's nice to see him LOVE something language-related (and retain what he's learning!)

But my checklist-loving self wishes it wasn't QUITE so open ended lol.

So if anyone has any scheduling ideas or tips or one they've already done up, I would love to hear it :)

The open-ended format was confusing to me at first. We've ended up moving between the books after Grammar Island. Here's the schedule I made: http://everchangingchild.blogspot.com/2015/03/michael-clay-thompson-island-level.html

But I could see a lot of different ways to approach this. Other than doing Grammar Island first, and working through Practice Island slowly no matter what order you do the rest of the books, I don't think there's necessarily a "best" order.

• Like 3

There is a recommended order and it was confusing at first but if you go to the last page of this document

http://www.rfwp.com/pages/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/LA-ELEM1.pdf

you can see that you do Grammar first, then you start the Practice slowly concurrently with Vocab, so you are fine. Poetry comes concurrently or after.

We did Island last year and followed Satori's plan. This year we are doing Town and I am following the recommend sequence more closely. What I do is that for the first month or so, we slowly did the grammar for a few minutes a day, two to three times a week. We finished it last week. This week We started Caesar's English (the Vocab) and next week she will do her practice book, 5 a week as well as one day of the Vocab. Once we have that established, I will add the Poetry every other Friday (she has a class every other week). She is also doing Getting Started with Latin so she makes flashcards of the Vocab and adds it to her GSWL flashcard drill.

• Like 1