Menu

Electric Razor for Boy

ashfern

I'd lobby for a manual.

Shaving is a rite-of-passage.

An electric razor not only shaves badly, is expensive up-front, can be ruined through poor maintenance, is irritating to the skin, but on a symbolic level it lacks the gravitas that shaving with a blade carries. 

Bill

• Like 2

I'd lobby for a manual.

Shaving is a rite-of-passage.

An electric razor not only shaves badly, is expensive up-front, can be ruined through poor maintenance, is irritating to the skin, but on a symbolic level it lacks the gravitas that shaving with a blade carries.

Bill

Agree with all of this. We have very few rites of passage in our society. There's not much to mark coming of age or passing into adulthood. Unless your community has some rite of passage that the majority of us don't.

Has he shaved yet? I'd encourage starting off with a razor. Then once he's got that down, move on to electric.

YMMV. This is the anthropologist in me speaking.

• Like 1

Another vote for a safety razor for boys.  It costs a LOT less and it is a good skill to learn. My son has been shaving since he was 14, started with just the 'tween stache' and now he does a full shave once a week. He's a blonde so he can go a while before anything shows.  He has never cut himself. I know he will at some point, but he's been doing it long enough that a nick isn't going to be the end of the world.

But most of the boys he knows are using safety razors. They are a more environmentally sound choice and very economical. Electric razors do tend to cause irritation and they break frequently, cost a lot etc. A safety razor will last a lifetime with a minimum of care.

DH has a full beard so wasn't much help with teaching him to shave. Instead they watched some youtube videos together. I bought the razor on Amazon and it came with some razors.  You can buy refills at any drugstore for very little money. We got him some nice shaving cream (not the foam in the can) at the supermarket.

• Like 2

The rite of passage is a great point. However, after enjoying that ritual for an appropriate amount of time, you might consider a Braun kit that guys use more for general facial hair styling. For younger men who may have less/thinner facial hair, the razor component is sufficient to shave. But my young adult guys, they like to experiment with various styles. They also like to save money on razors (which are insanely expensive).