Menu

Managing school w/ chronic illness, EF deficits

Tracy

Some of you are already aware of my situation, but let me summarize.  I have a dd10 and ds7.  I am asking in this post about dd10, who is 2e.  She has EF deficits particularly in the areas of transitioning from one activity to the next and sustained focus.  

A year ago, I became chronically ill.  I have whittled down school work to the minimum.  Here is what she does each day.

Life of Fred intermediate series, 1 chapter

Typing, 15 minutes

Book basket, 15 minutes (history and historical literature reading)

Piano practice (She loves this, so I don't put a time on it.  Usually about 30 minutes.)

Chores (make bed, swish toilet, wipe counter daily, laundry once per week)

Memorization (Gettysburg address and multiplication tables, about 10 minutes total)

Theater class (1 morning per week)

Ballet (3 afternoons per week)

Ballet helper (1 morning per week, she assists in the 3yo and 4yo classes)

Library (we meet our friends there 1 afternoon per week)

On days that we are home in the morning, she can get her work done if I prod her along.  We have been working on following her chart, and she is getting better about that, especially where it comes to her chores.  Math takes a long time.  She is good at it, but she is sloppy and often has to go back and redo answers.  And multi-step problems are hard for her to focus on.  She has a really hard time stopping one activity and going to the next.  It is not unusual for piano to extend to a full hour.  If she has a long book in her book basket, she will keep reading until she is done.  I have managed to get her to use a timer for typing. But the reason that I don't have her use it for reading is that I think that 15 minutes/day is not really enough for a 10yo.  So if she does more, that is okay.  

One of the symptoms of my health condition is insomnia.  I need to sleep for as long as a I can in the morning, and that means that they are up an hour or more before me.  I also have to cook a separate meal for myself, so I spend a lot of time cooking.  And I absolutely have to do my physical therapy exercises each day.  

I would love for my 10yo to be more independent.  But I am not sure that it is possible right now.  Some days, she does pretty well. Others, it is as if there is no chart and no school work to be done.  I don't feel like she is doing enough academically.  I feel like I cannot challenge her academically, because we are always at the mercy of her EF deficits.  I don't know how to get her to do more without a lot more participation from me.  Mornings are pretty shot, because without someone reminding her to check her chart and do her work, nothing gets done most of the time.  I have tried just leaving it up to her and telling her that she doesn't get to go to her activities if her work isn't done.  But then she fiddles around all day, and her work barely gets done, but she doesn't have a chance to play outside or work on her projects (like the Halloween costumes that she is making for the two of them).

Is there something more that I can do to help her?  Or would I be better off just accepting that it is what it is?  I am trying really hard to just enjoy the season, but I can't shake the feeling that her academic load is really light.  

P.S. You might notice that she has no writing in her curriculum.  Previously, she did WWE1-3 and 5 years of SWR.  We are taking a break from writing to get her proficient in typing so that she can do writing assignments on the computer.  She just got to her goal of 20wpm, so we will be adding Writing Tales soon.  But that scares me, because I don't know how we will fit it in.  

My dc are ~10 years apart, and my dd had a "lost year" (or two) when ds was born.  Really, having btdt, I think you should let her read more and worry less.  Since she's an avid reader, let her read a LOT more.  Around that age we used a genre diversification list, where I required her to read across genres every week.  So it was read something in science, some kind of biography, some poetry, etc. etc.  Let that cover up the holes.

As far as the writing, I love Writing Tales.  You can teach her once a week using the co-op lessons and assign the rest as homework.  If you're not ready for that, You could simply have her do weekly outlines and narrations.  Around that age we used Muse magazine articles.  They're funny, well-written, and perfect for this age/stage.  Have her use some kind of mindmapping software.  Popplet (an app on the ipad) is free, but Inspiration is even better.  Whatever you can get.

The other thing you can do is use How to Report on Books.  I know it sounds formulaic and not like what you're thinking of, but it's really kind of useful in its own way.  It has lots of STRUCTURE and is something she can just implement when you hand it to her.  

Throw some science videos or kits her way.

I just wouldn't worry about it beyond that.  Let her read more, a lot more.  It sounds like if you up that a bit and get some writing and the kits/videos going, got a plenty full load.  My dd continued to grow during that lost year.  I don't even remember much of it.  I remember being stressed, thinking I wasn't doing enough, lol.  Only in hindsite could I see it was fine, that she was growing and maturing anyway, that reading a lot really could cover the gaps, that it was ok...

We finally made the decision to medicate my ADHD child with severe EF problems. It's really been a wonderful help. My other child who had similar problems did VT and I've seen amazing improvement in her EF skills.

I always made a schedule which was basically a list of things to do. It was set up on a grid so it was every easy to get a visual picture. This year, because of a suggestion  kbutton made, I put times into the schedule for my EF challenged child. For the first two weeks I kept tweaking those times based on her needs. Right now the longest time period is fifty minutes for math because I realized the last ten minutes of the hour I originally planned for math were really not productive. I think one reason it's working because of the meds and I'm not sure if it would have without. But I've been very pleased at how new schedule with a limited time for math reduces my own stress level. I also give long breaks before (20 minutes) and after math (45 minutes) and offer a snack.

History, literature, and science, I put on a loop schedule to avoid overwhelm because I finally realized when there is huge difficulty focusing and keeping oneself organized, it is really exhausting for the child. I knew that with my child with processing issues but this is the first year it hit me that ADHD can be truly exhausting. Only having to focus on history or lit or science each day has lightened the academic load but just made life more manageable. It's also boosted her self-esteem because it's made it manageable for her to get her work done. I just have to make sure that 45 minutes each day is spent in a worthwhile way and supplement here and there with videos or field trips to flesh it out.

Whatever you do, I'd keep the ballet. :)

For my nine year old with significant writing issues, I'm using the Just Write series. She would not use Writing Tales, which was very sad for me because I love it. Just Write is very inexpensive and the instruction is very clearly presented. It's available from EPS, so that says something. I started with only the paragraph sections of book one and then we'll move on to the paragraph sections of book two. The instruction in the Just Write books is really great and there's a lot of support. Yes, it's technically below grade level for her but we needed low-pressure writing if we were ever going to get over the writing hump. She does a few pages a day and it might take ten minutes. I think we should finish up around Christmas and then I'll have to re-evaluate if I want to start book three or have her start writing short animal reports each week. 

She does copy work and dictation for spelling. That gets in more writing and exposure to nice writing passages and vocab without it being overly taxing for her brain.

I hope some of these ideas help.

• Like 1

Hugs, Tracy.  :grouphug:

I thought of a recent thread when you mentioned that transitions are hard for her. It's essentially a block schedule.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/564354-so-today-we-are-trying-a-new-schedule/?hl=schedule&do=findComment&comment=6591212

Science is one thing you didn't mention. Since she loves to read, can you add interest-led science books to her book basket? I don't know how you feel about tv-based learning, but my 9 yo loved the dvd series Chemistry 101 and is now enjoying Physics 101. I don't even look at the written material - he just watches the videos in his free afternoon time and absorbs a lot. I don't think he even counts it as school.

I have other thoughts, but life is calling.

I'm back now that the house is quiet.  :)

Have you read Smart but Scattered by Peg Dawson and Richard Guare? It helps you identify strengths and weaknesses so you can help her use her strengths to improve weaknesses and teach EF skills overtly. Lots of great info.

I'm also reading That Crumpled Paper Was Due Last Week by Ana Homayoun, and it has some useful information, although it is geared more toward older kids (and boys, although she mentions that it will help girls, too). Maybe your library has a copy?

Other ideas:

Is physical exercise possible for her before she starts school? Even practicing her ballet for a few minutes?

Does she take Omega 3s? You may consider looking into Dianne Craft's Biology of Behavior recommendations for other supplements.

Can she work close to where you are so it is easier for you to keep her on task? 

Would having a fidget toy help her stay focused?

Also, gently, have you considered moving your family's diet closer to what you need to eat to save yourself effort? Cooking twice for each meal is time consuming and frustrating. My family has needed to radically change the diets for 2 family members 6 months ago and I've basically switched all 4 of us to compliant dinners and lunches, at least. If that is overwhelming to you, I'm happy to try to help suggest possibilities if you give me specifics.

Again,  :grouphug: . I commend you for continuing to homeschool while dealing with a chronic illness.

My dc are ~10 years apart, and my dd had a "lost year" (or two) when ds was born.  Really, having btdt, I think you should let her read more and worry less.  Since she's an avid reader, let her read a LOT more.  Around that age we used a genre diversification list, where I required her to read across genres every week.  So it was read something in science, some kind of biography, some poetry, etc. etc.  Let that cover up the holes.

As far as the writing, I love Writing Tales.  You can teach her once a week using the co-op lessons and assign the rest as homework.  If you're not ready for that, You could simply have her do weekly outlines and narrations.  Around that age we used Muse magazine articles.  They're funny, well-written, and perfect for this age/stage.  Have her use some kind of mindmapping software.  Popplet (an app on the ipad) is free, but Inspiration is even better.  Whatever you can get.

The other thing you can do is use How to Report on Books.  I know it sounds formulaic and not like what you're thinking of, but it's really kind of useful in its own way.  It has lots of STRUCTURE and is something she can just implement when you hand it to her.  

Throw some science videos or kits her way.

I just wouldn't worry about it beyond that.  Let her read more, a lot more.  It sounds like if you up that a bit and get some writing and the kits/videos going, got a plenty full load.  My dd continued to grow during that lost year.  I don't even remember much of it.  I remember being stressed, thinking I wasn't doing enough, lol.  Only in hindsite could I see it was fine, that she was growing and maturing anyway, that reading a lot really could cover the gaps, that it was ok...

Thanks, OhElizabeth.  I will take a look at How to Report on Books.  That might be something we can use.  She just got to her typing goal, so she will be getting a tablet, so perhaps we can put some mindmapping software on that.  And Writing Tales is on its way.  My husband has not been the least bit worried about her, so maybe I need to listen to him.  

History, literature, and science, I put on a loop schedule to avoid overwhelm because I finally realized when there is huge difficulty focusing and keeping oneself organized, it is really exhausting for the child. I knew that with my child with processing issues but this is the first year it hit me that ADHD can be truly exhausting. Only having to focus on history or lit or science each day has lightened the academic load but just made life more manageable. It's also boosted her self-esteem because it's made it manageable for her to get her work done. I just have to make sure that 45 minutes each day is spent in a worthwhile way and supplement here and there with videos or field trips to flesh it out.

Whatever you do, I'd keep the ballet. :)

Yes!  I can definitely see that this is very exhausting for her.  And you are definitely right about ballet.  I think it helps with focus, and it definitely contributes to her self-esteem being looked up to by the little girls.  Not to mention that the moms love her, too.  

Hugs, Tracy.  :grouphug:

I thought of a recent thread when you mentioned that transitions are hard for her. It's essentially a block schedule.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/564354-so-today-we-are-trying-a-new-schedule/?hl=schedule&do=findComment&comment=6591212

Science is one thing you didn't mention. Since she loves to read, can you add interest-led science books to her book basket? I don't know how you feel about tv-based learning, but my 9 yo loved the dvd series Chemistry 101 and is now enjoying Physics 101. I don't even look at the written material - he just watches the videos in his free afternoon time and absorbs a lot. I don't think he even counts it as school.

I have other thoughts, but life is calling.

This is definitely worth considering.  We couldn't do it with math.  But we could devote a whole day to history/reading.  Hmmm.

I'm back now that the house is quiet.   :)

Have you read Smart but Scattered by Peg Dawson and Richard Guare? It helps you identify strengths and weaknesses so you can help her use her strengths to improve weaknesses and teach EF skills overtly. Lots of great info.

I'm also reading That Crumpled Paper Was Due Last Week by Ana Homayoun, and it has some useful information, although it is geared more toward older kids (and boys, although she mentions that it will help girls, too). Maybe your library has a copy?

Other ideas:

Is physical exercise possible for her before she starts school? Even practicing her ballet for a few minutes?

Does she take Omega 3s? You may consider looking into Dianne Craft's Biology of Behavior recommendations for other supplements.

Can she work close to where you are so it is easier for you to keep her on task? 

Would having a fidget toy help her stay focused?

Also, gently, have you considered moving your family's diet closer to what you need to eat to save yourself effort? Cooking twice for each meal is time consuming and frustrating. My family has needed to radically change the diets for 2 family members 6 months ago and I've basically switched all 4 of us to compliant dinners and lunches, at least. If that is overwhelming to you, I'm happy to try to help suggest possibilities if you give me specifics.

Again,  :grouphug: . I commend you for continuing to homeschool while dealing with a chronic illness.

Yes, I have read Smart but Scattered!  That is a really great book.  It is how I honed in on her specific EF troubles several years ago.  I will take a look at the other book.  

She does do a lot of ballet around the house, but perhaps we can make it a point to do that in the morning or between assignments.  We tried Omega 3's, and they didn't do anything for her.  

Most of the time, it is not possible for me to be right next to her.  I have to spend more time with ds7.  So she is usually in the same room, but not at my elbow.  She is doing okay with it right now, but I am concerned about when we add writing.  

My diet right now consists of grapefruit, oranges, kiwi, sweet potatoes, squash, carrots and lamb.  I cannot subject my family (or my budget) to that kind of a diet.  

Can you work with her in the afternoons? Sit down with her and stay there and see how she does with the transitions. Also, is her school area set up to deal with her EF issues?

I can and do work with her in the afternoons on days when we have morning activities or when she just doesn't get her work done before lunch.  I have resigned myself to have to move her along from one activity to the next all day long.  I have made significant changes to her work area.  First, she has to work where she can be near me.  I have installed blinds on the sliding glass door to diminish distractions from outside.  I bought Keekaroo chairs to allow her sit more comfortably.  I make a great effort to keep the table clear.  I have tried a handful of other things, but these are the things that have made the most difference.  

Thank you all so much for your input.  

• Like 1