Menu

Teaching Textbooks Placement

*Jessica*

My sixth grader does not like math. He has been doing Math Mammoth but really prefers a video lesson to teach the concepts, so we're planning to switch to Teaching Textbooks. I had him take the Math 6 and Math 7 placement tests and he scored the following:

Math 6

Section 1: 15/15

Section 2: 11/15

Math 7

Section 1: 11/15

Section 2: 9/15

Math 7 says the student should get 10 or more correct on section 1, and 8 or more correct on section 2 to be ready for Math 7. He would have had 13 on the first section if he had reduced the fractions to their lowest forms, but instead, for example, he reduced 12/18 to 6/9 instead of the correct answer of 2/3. On section 2 he did not know how to do the 4 "multiply or divide each pair of fractions" problems, and once again didn't fully reduce two problems. So, assuming I can get him to understand he needs to always fully reduce, he could have scored 13/15 and 11/15.

Do you think he is ready for Math 7? I would just buy both levels, but holy smokes it's expensive!

Trust the placement test for starters. If it turns out to be too challenging, you can drop back and buy 6 *or* supplement with the MM you already have.

If he has been doing MM6 I would expect him to place into TT7 as MM7 and TT8 are both pre-algebra.

Thank you! I figured I should trust the placement test, I was just second-guessing myself. It helps to have someone confirm.

Their placement tests are pretty spot on.  Since it's spiral, they will review the "missed" concepts.

I did place my DD at grade level in TT when we made the switch... but she hated math, felt she couldn't do it, and needed a boost of confidence.  She did test into the next level... but barely.  I just felt it was best with her to go easy and let her learn that she could "do math" and it worked... she now LOVES math!