Menu

Latin Progression

tm_burriss

I have 3 kids. My oldest is doing Latin Alive for high school Latin.  My middle is doing Visual Latin for middle school. I am getting ready to start my youngest with his Latin. If you were starting a child in Latin in 4th grade (he has a good vocabulary built already from memory work) where would you start them and what would the progression be from there.  I am not looking to turn him into a Latin scholar but would like him to have a good working knowledge of Latin and be able to apply to learning vocabulary and other languages. Thanks!

I don't know if this helps or not, since I'm not familiar with Visual Latin, and I'm only slightly familiar with Latin Alive (in that I've looked at it, like the way it looks, and think it will be good for end of 8th grade into high school).

We start Getting Started With Latin in about 4th grade, a couple of lessons a week, finishing it in about 5th grade.  I think GSWL is very gentle, but very effective.

Then we move on to Latin's Not So Tough, Level 3, and we work through Levels 3, 4, 5, and 6 through about 8th grade.  Kind of depends -- some days we whip through several pages, and some days one page takes a long time, but it's roughly two pages a session, two sessions a week.  Level 3 is quite easy after GSWL, as I don't think it has any new grammar, but it has some new vocabulary, plus I figure slightly easy is a good thing when learning a new layout.

DD is in 8th grade and part of the way through Level 6.  6 has a lot of review at the beginning, which she was able to get through quickly.  When she finishes Level 6, we will start Latin Alive 1.  I am hoping to finish Latin Alive 1 and 2 by the end of 9th grade, which is almost two years from now, but we shall see.

I have a 7th grader also doing Visual Latin, and she did Latina Christiana last year.  This was a great progression for her (and me).  I don't know that I would love VL as much as I do if we had not done LC I first.  I had meant to go to First Form next, but my dd saw Visual Latin and wanted to try it.   It is a good fit for her (but I do miss the parts-to-whole of LC; I may still order First Form this year and go through it myself).  If I was to do it over again, I would start with LC again, and now wish I had done so in 4th or 5th grade and not waited until 6th.  This is what I think I'll do with younger dd when she gets there (she's only in Pre-K now, but she watched LC with us and also VL so she knows a surprising amount of vocabulary as well as the LC songs!).  I highly recommend the LC videos; Leigh Lowe is not as funny and engaging as Dwane Thomas of Visual Latin, but still very helpful. I'm not sure where we'll go after VL I & II, because dd wants to study Spanish or French in High School.  If she is still interested in Latin, I may look at Latin Alive.

we did the same sequence but didn't go with Latin Prep though bought two levels of it. The main reason is that I do not the order of declensions.

We did GSWL , Lively Latin I & II, working on Latin Prep 1 -3. Not sure where to next.

What is their retention of LL 1 and 2 like? LL 2 was pretty hard for the second half. We finished it but they didn't master it. Now we are doing Henle Latin 1. They finished the review of 1st and 2nd declensions. Next week they will start with 3rd declension. Henle has students work on all 5 declensions before introducing adjectives and then verb conjugations. I will get Lingua Latina to use either as reading supplement or a parallel program.
  • Like 1