Menu

What songs make you feel emotional/nostalgic?

Janie Grace

"In Your Eyes" just came on my Pandora. Gets me every time. It's not even a specific memory or person, it's just an era of being more easily swept away by my emotions than any other era of my life. 

Also the whole August and Everything After album (Counting Crows). It came out my freshman year of college. Oh the feels. 

What about you?

• Like 3

"I am not that girl" from Wicked; most of Les Mis

Open Arms from high school and Angel Eyes - by ???

The Winnie the Pooh song from Kenny Logans

probably a dozen more - I cry a lot - but I am actually a happy person - probably because I cry a lot. All of the above are super happy memories

• Like 2

Songs on their own don't make me emotional unless I connect them to an emotional event. I can't listen to The Old Rugged Cross or How Great Thou Art without tearing up because they vividly bring back my parents'funerals. Browned Eyed Girl makes me nostalgic because dh used to sing it to our oldest when she was small, and now she's singing it to her own daughter.

• Like 1

Some John Denver, some Jim Croce (Alabama Rain, always).  Much of Les Mis (Do You Hear the People Sing, especially the last one..., Eponine's song, and Bring Him Home)  (I've got a frissand just thinking about those...) 

Some Faure, Claire de Lune, Liebestraum (sp?), and the grand chorus from Beethoven's Ninth (mostly because of a party we had with some of the best people who ever walked the earth and we were all singing along at the top of our lungs).

Worthy Is the Lamb and Great Amen from the Messiah.  Other pieces...from that Oratorio.   Shivers.  

Music is so powerful.  

This may sound weird but if I run across the Temptations' song "Just my Imagination" I am immediately transported back to a visit to my hometown when I was a teen.  I can picture the people I am with and what we were doing.   I guess it was on the car radio that evening. 

"Lowrider" doesn't exactly make me nostalgic, though I did grow up in San Jose, CA in the midst of lowrider culture.  But it's such a happy song.  I can't be in a bad mood when I hear it.  My kids love it too.

• Like 1

Meatloaf-Bat out of Hell Album.  Spring Break, Summer, teen years.  That one just brings me back.

Too many 80's new wave song to list strike a chord.

But the 70's are also part of the soundtrack of my life

Truly any song from my youth will bring on nostalgia.  I am a sap.

• Like 4

A lot of songs make me nostalgic. Different songs remind me of different time periods and times in my life.

The two biggest that will make me cry are Sunrise, Sunset from Fiddler on the Roof, and Puff the Magic Dragon (notice a theme?).

Much of Les Mis (Do You Hear the People Sing, especially the last one..., Eponine's song and Bring Him Home)

Empty Chairs and Empty Tables will get my tears flowing. Do You Hear the People Sing? makes me want to go join a revolution. :)  

Music is so powerful.

That it is.

• Like 1

This may sound weird but if I run across the Temptations' song "Just my Imagination" I am immediately transported back to a visit to my hometown when I was a teen.  I can picture the people I am with and what we were doing.   I guess it was on the car radio that evening. 

There are a few songs from the summer before my family moved to Florida that will do that to me. I'm instantly transported to that last summer in NJ, and can see the people and smell the summer air. 

• Like 1

You and Me of the Ten Thousand Wars, Indigo Girls. Anything by the IG makes me smile, but that one makes me teary. Power of Two can do the same, makes me think of my best friend through the 80s/90s.

Counting Crows. Their early stuff brings back a lot.

Lots of Peter Gabriel songs get me.

And ... Anything by Majosha makes me turn happy and bouncy. If you don't know Majosha, it's Ben Folds' old band ... Back in the days he was a local (to me) guy... Playing tiny bars and clubs.

• Like 1

Hootie

Others but Hootie springs to mind. Oh and Melissa Ethridge's most popular stuff.

"Let Her Cry" and "I'm The Only One" are the kinds of songs everyone has to be silent for, because I am about to have a moment.

"I am not that girl" from Wicked; most of Les Mis

Open Arms from high school and Angel Eyes - by ???

The Winnie the Pooh song from Kenny Logans

probably a dozen more - I cry a lot - but I am actually a happy person - probably because I cry a lot. All of the above are super happy memories

The Jeff Healey band.  Love that song.  

And here I was thinking "

" by Steelheart.  :D 

Time in a Bottle

Sunrise, Sunset

What a Wonderful World

Empty Chairs and Empty Tables

I Dreamed a Dream

Almost anything from Neil Diamond... had fun introducing my kids to him too!  They love him.  (I thought to introduce my kids to him after that Big Bang Theory show about the scavenger hunt... my favorite episode of all time!)

• Like 1

The Hawiian version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow always always reminds me of when Dr. Greene died on E.R. 😢

OMgosh, ME TOO! I can't hear it without thinking of that sweet and sad episode.

My emotional ones are different from my nostalgic ones, for the most part.

combines both, though. It's especially emotional for me now because dd has realized in the last year or so that this current house is her House that Built Me, and she is very aware that one day she will leave it and be unable to return--we live in a rectory, so when dh leaves the church, we will never live here again.

I also love some that I used to listen to as a teen, late at night on the adult pop station--esp

and
. The latter reminds me of my brother, and I think of his wife when I hear the words.

There are many more.

Bruce Springsteen makes me think of the baby we lost at 22 weeks in-utero.  We have a 3D ultrasound picture of her with her face turned toward us, with her hand up like she is waving  and the shadows make it look like she is smiling. 

The second part of the songs lyrics are what get me

She'll lead you down a path
There'll be tenderness in the air
She'll let you come just far enough
So you know she's really there
She'll look at you and smile
And her eyes will say
She's got a secret garden
Where everything you want
Where everything you need
Will always stay
A million miles away

There are certain songs from mix tapes given to me back in the day, that take me back in time.  

Country music is now allowed in my house when I am here.  I will cry every time.  I reminds me too much of a different life I used to live. 

• Like 1

Gives me chills every time. One of my favorite pieces of music...

Lovely song, lovely video...

Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata"

Eric Clapton's "Tears in Heaven" because of the topic.

The video & words of Paul McCartney's "Pipes of Peace".

Band Aid's "Do They Know It's Christmas?" (the original version; yes, I'm a teen of the '80s, lol)

Plenty of others.... I tear up (sometimes from happiness, sometimes from sadness) for dramatic music pretty easily.

This came out of my iPod the other day and instantly I remembered three distinct memories. One from a concert, one from a road trip and one when I was on a trail crew and we had a guitar at base camp and after being made to sing freaking Hotel California, I made them sing Closer to Fine:

This takes me back to my wedding day:

But this takes me to the day, 2 years earlier, when I realized I was in love for keeps:

And this song reminds me of this very poignant moment at a party 20 odd years ago. Really the entire album is the soundtrack of all of 1994 for me:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jZjNANezP_E

• Like 1

The Star Spangled Banner- every time, but the time I sung it with a group of veterans officiating at Silver Dollar City-unforgettable

The Anchor Holds by Ray Boltz

I Will Praise the Lord by Ray Boltz- church dramatization made it come alive

Turn up the Music by Point of Grace

Amazed by You by Lone Star

East to West by Casting Crowns

• Like 1