Menu

Snickering at this writing prompt for a scholarship competition.

FaithManor

LOL. That is funny.

We had a similar one last year about texting. It slips my mind now, but it was something about how texting brings people together. At the time my oldest had just a very simple pre-paid phone that was agony to text with, so we had to do a tutorial with mine so he knew what they were talking about.

• Like 1

I had great success treating those kinds of questions with disdain, either by mocking them (which version of sauce on bread inspires a consensus YEAH from the world?) or turning them on their heads completely (No, I don't think pizza brings people together but here's what does...). I never felt compelled to answer the questions as given and didn't suffer for it at all.

• Like 2

DS10 would have no problem answering that prompt. He was trying to convince me to buy him more pizza ingredients and gave a long "speech".

My condo community typically serve pizza for community social night. They will just get a few large pizzas of vegetarian, Hawaiian supreme and curry chicken.

I can't find out who the sponsor is, but I do half expect based on this essay contest some commercial for Pizza Hut or Dominos in which the UN Security Council is seen sitting cross legged on the floor of some conference room holding pieces of pizza in their hands solving some great world crisis - "Aha, as soon as I consume this last pepperoni, I'll tell you how we can deal effectively with North Korea!" That or some actor representing Putin offering to apologize to Ukraine after receiving a stuffed crust pizza delivery!

:D

LOL! I think I would have written something about dumb phones being too much of a pain to use, so it encouraged me to pop over to my neighbor's house to talk to him instead, and we became besties over coffee.

LOL. That is funny.

We had a similar one last year about texting. It slips my mind now, but it was something about how texting brings people together. At the time my oldest had just a very simple pre-paid phone that was agony to text with, so we had to do a tutorial with mine so he knew what they were talking about.

• Like 2

"describe how pizza can bring people together for the greater good of improving communities and society as a whole"

Who thinks these up?

A 23yo AdCom who fondly remembers scrounging free food during undergrad and the synchronicity of various encounters they had then...

If this is one of 4 or 5 choices it isn't terrible... phrasing the question as merely food will get you dull tortured essays about your relatives ethnic food... asking about free food will generate tedious essays about working in homeless shelters. The pizza limitation is perhaps inartful but should limit the essays to something about a casual encounter with friends that changed someones views in a meaningful way or some similar encounter with strangers at a school or church or community event. The questions is trying too hard to be hip, but I see what they are looking for.

• Like 1

A 23yo AdCom who fondly remembers scrounging free food during undergrad and the synchronicity of various encounters they had then...

If this is one of 4 or 5 choices it isn't terrible... phrasing the question as merely food will get you dull tortured essays about your relatives ethnic food... asking about free food will generate tedious essays about working in homeless shelters. The pizza limitation is perhaps inartful but should limit the essays to something about a casual encounter with friends that changed someones views in a meaningful way or some similar encounter with strangers at a school or church or community event. The questions is trying too hard to be hip, but I see what they are looking for.

It is the one and only writing prompt for that scholarship essay.

I wish ds was applying for that scholarship. The witty whippersnapper looked up at me from the grocery cart at two and said, "I love pizza!" He hadn't even said I love Mommy or Daddy yet.  :lol: And he says it's still true. He would write a grand essay on pizza and the meaning of life.

• Like 3

I can't find out who the sponsor is, but I do half expect based on this essay contest some commercial for Pizza Hut or Dominos in which the UN Security Council is seen sitting cross legged on the floor of some conference room holding pieces of pizza in their hands solving some great world crisis - "Aha, as soon as I consume this last pepperoni, I'll tell you how we can deal effectively with North Korea!" That or some actor representing Putin offering to apologize to Ukraine after receiving a stuffed crust pizza delivery!

:D

I wouldn't allow my teen to apply for a scholarship without knowing the identity of the sponsoring organization. It seems odd that your ds has the application information and the essay question, yet there are no details about whom is actually awarding the scholarship money.

Honestly, that would raise some red flags in my mind, as it seems that most organizations would want to be recognized for their generosity, not hide their identity from the applicants.

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't want my ds to accept an award from anyone without knowing exactly who it was and what they stand for.

• Like 1

I wouldn't allow my teen to apply for a scholarship without knowing the identity of the sponsoring organization. It seems odd that your ds has the application information and the essay question, yet there are no details about whom is actually awarding the scholarship money.

Honestly, that would raise some red flags in my mind, as it seems that most organizations would want to be recognized for their generosity, not hide their identity from the applicants.

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't want my ds to accept an award from anyone without knowing exactly who it was and what they stand for.

My oldest won a very nice scholarship from an anonymous donor who had it controlled by a trustee at a bank.  The amount was in the 4 digits each year - well into the 5 digits when added over 4 years.  I tried to look up who offered it, but got nowhere.  Whoever they were, I'd love to thank them.  Oldest was able to send a thank you note via the bank trustee.

I see no need for red flags unless one is partial toward who they would accept money from.  I've got no issues with that whatsoever.  Any of y'all can give me money if you wish... you know, if you want to share lottery winnings or sponsor med school or similar!  ;)

There are things my guys didn't care to do to apply for scholarships, but writing essays wasn't one of them.

• Like 1

Better check the dates of the scholarship. That was last year's question.

https://www.wcupa.edu/_services/fin_aid/documents/CottageInn.pdf

Here is this year's application with a different question.

http://www.cottageinn.com/cottage-inn-scholarship/

Oh my gosh -- thank goodness you saw that before Faith's ds spent a lot of time writing the wrong essay! :svengo: I wonder who gave him an application for last year's scholarship. If I was Faith, I would be very annoyed. At first I was thinking it might be a different scholarship, but the question is exactly as Faith posted it, so it sounds like it's the same one.

I hope he can come up with as many good ideas for this year's essay question. It doesn't sound like it has as much of a fun factor as the pizza topic.

EDITED TO ADD: Faith, if you're still reading this thread, I just read in another thread about your parents having been in a bad car accident earlier this month, and I hope they are okay! I didn't see the thread until tonight, or I would have mentioned it earlier. :grouphug:

• Like 3

Better check the dates of the scholarship. That was last year's question.

https://www.wcupa.edu/_services/fin_aid/documents/CottageInn.pdf

Here is this year's application with a different question.

http://www.cottageinn.com/cottage-inn-scholarship/

Thanks. But not the same scholarship. The one he is applying to is an in house scholarship for a Michigan university. We already downloaded the scholarship form and it is the 2016 question. I wonder if they saw that question online last year and decided to copy it for themselves.

• Like 2

Oh my gosh -- thank goodness you saw that before Faith's ds spent a lot of time writing the wrong essay! :svengo: I wonder who gave him an application for last year's scholarship. If I was Faith, I would be very annoyed. At first I was thinking it might be a different scholarship, but the question is exactly as Faith posted it, so it sounds like it's the same one.

I hope he can come up with as many good ideas for this year's essay question. It doesn't sound like it has as much of a fun factor as the pizza topic.

EDITED TO ADD: Faith, if you're still reading this thread, I just read in another thread about your parents having been in a bad car accident earlier this month, and I hope they are okay! I didn't see the thread until tonight, or I would have mentioned it earlier. :grouphug:

Actually, it isn't the same scholarship but it does make me think that the committee must have seen that question online last year and decided to co opt it for their own this year, lol.

Thank you for your kind words.

My mom has four pins in her ankle and will not be weight bearing ror ten weeks. Thankfully there house is only two blocks from here and handicap accessible so the boys and I will move in with her until she can take care of herself. We have help lined up for December for when we are supposed to be in Egypt with our Doctors Without Borders friends working at their hospital/clinic.

Dad is not likely to last very many months. He passed out at the wheel after expressing some deep despondency to my mom. He has been struggling for six months with undiagnosef health problems - long story involving lazy, non proactive general practitioner whom he refuses to leave and medicare refusing to approve tests - they just figured out he has stage IV non small cell adenocarcinoma - non smokers lung cancer - and everytime they try to drain the fluid around the lung or try to reinflate it, his b.p. tanks badly and they have to stop. The depression and despondency was caused by a cancer syndrome with a very long name I do not know how to spell which causes the immune system to turn on the brain and attack it viciously. He is 72 and in such poor shape it does not look like he would be strong enough to manage chemo.

He is still in the hospital and very unstable. I would not be shocked if he chose to not take anymore drastic measures and eventually came home on hospice. Hospice here, due to state finances, only pays for four hours of nursing per week. I really do not know how I am going to manage a dying patient, mom's physical therapy, and homeschooling two high schoolers keeping the one on track with college admissions, scholarship competitions and such. My sister lives in France and is ill. She cannot come home because she has a rare autoimmune disorder that is managed well in France with their fantastic socialized medicine, but has almost no treatment options here and would also have no medical insurance when she arrived. She was home for a visit in June and July and it was very clear to me that she can not make it here for very long. My brother works full time and is a fair weather brother so when things get tough, he hides. It all falls on me.

I thought our family had turned a corner with ds and I finally recovered from our accident last year. Sigh.....

Anyway, thanks for the support!!

• Like 1

I thought our family had turned a corner with ds and I finally recovered from our accident last year. Sigh.....

I had missed all of this with my lessened time on the computer, Faith.   :grouphug:

Know that you have hugs and prayers from here.  May all go as well as it can.

Getting older is quite nice (for most) the first half of one's life, but the second half?  Ugh!

• Like 2

I'm sorry for your troubles, Faith, and your family is in my thoughts.

Actually, it isn't the same scholarship but it does make me think that the committee must have seen that question online last year and decided to co opt it for their own this year, lol.

Thank you for your kind words.

My mom has four pins in her ankle and will not be weight bearing ror ten weeks. Thankfully there house is only two blocks from here and handicap accessible so the boys and I will move in with her until she can take care of herself. We have help lined up for December for when we are supposed to be in Egypt with our Doctors Without Borders friends working at their hospital/clinic.

Dad is not likely to last very many months. He passed out at the wheel after expressing some deep despondency to my mom. He has been struggling for six months with undiagnosef health problems - long story involving lazy, non proactive general practitioner whom he refuses to leave and medicare refusing to approve tests - they just figured out he has stage IV non small cell adenocarcinoma - non smokers lung cancer - and everytime they try to drain the fluid around the lung or try to reinflate it, his b.p. tanks badly and they have to stop. The depression and despondency was caused by a cancer syndrome with a very long name I do not know how to spell which causes the immune system to turn on the brain and attack it viciously. He is 72 and in such poor shape it does not look like he would be strong enough to manage chemo.

He is still in the hospital and very unstable. I would not be shocked if he chose to not take anymore drastic measures and eventually came home on hospice. Hospice here, due to state finances, only pays for four hours of nursing per week. I really do not know how I am going to manage a dying patient, mom's physical therapy, and homeschooling two high schoolers keeping the one on track with college admissions, scholarship competitions and such. My sister lives in France and is ill. She cannot come home because she has a rare autoimmune disorder that is managed well in France with their fantastic socialized medicine, but has almost no treatment options here and would also have no medical insurance when she arrived. She was home for a visit in June and July and it was very clear to me that she can not make it here for very long. My brother works full time and is a fair weather brother so when things get tough, he hides. It all falls on me.