Menu

s/o don't y'all talk about......Downton Abbey? (January viewers, enter at the risk of spoilers)

Seasider

Lots of action in the recent episode.  I'm thinking because there are so few episodes left they had to speed up what I knew would happen with Mary and Henry. 

Loved the scheme Mrs. Patmore and the new Mrs. Carson came up with to help Mr. Carson appreciate his wife's efforts.

I hope Mr. Barrows finds happiness - maybe he can fill the potentially vacant spot.

Glad Daisy softened a bit this episode.

Disappointed Edith didn't tell the truth about Marigold, but maybe that will come next episode. 

Does anybody know how many episodes before the traditional final Christmas episode. As I recall last year, there was a gap of several episodes before the finale.

Loved the new addition to the family!

• Like 3

The previews for next week look awesome! Edith takes the gloves off! Lol.

I'm wondering if Mary does something or if Edith lashes out because she's angry at herself for not being forthright about Marigold.

Loved the surprise! Loved Lord Grantham's reaction.

So happy for Mosely, sweet validation. I do hope he and Baxter get hitched.

Only one more episode, really? Seems like so much needs to be wrapped up, I don't know how it will happen. The next episode promises to be quite dramatic - does Henry go all stalkerish, do you think?

I wonder why they threw the editor into the mix. Possible love interest for Tom? I'm still thinking they're going to Mr. Knightly him. The credit Violet gave him in this episode kind of elevates him above that old class barrier. What do you think, Rosie, will Mary realize her own pride & prejudice? Not saying I'd love to see them together, I'm just guessing that's what the writers may be headed towards. I mean, if Mary's destiny is to become the next dowager, there was really no need to bring Tom back from America.

I'm too tired for further speculation. Can't believe there are only two shows left, and that one of them will take waiting til Christmas to see.

• Like 1

Wow, this episode had me tied up in knots.  

Quite obviously, someone was going to come to a bad end at the race.  Afterwards, I was pretty sure Mary's reaction would validate that she loved Henry, so she could move forward, but instead...not.  It doesn't look like he'll take it well, either.  (The preview scene on the stairs looked pretty ugly...)

I'm beginning to think that Mary & Tom are not gonna hit it off.  At the beginning of the season, I did wonder; now, they seem to be solidly standing on platonic ground.  Bother.  (But I'd be glad to be proven wrong!)

I think Edith was right not to blurt out Marigold's parentage at the moment of the proposal.  I think that will come back into play in the next episode.  With Mary being stressed over the situation with Henry, and Edith stressed over whether or not to tell her fella about Marigold, someone is bound to break -- kind of excited to see how that all goes down.  

Oh, the puppy. ^_^ (I thought they were going to call it Isis II. :p)

I almost cried for Mr. Mosely and his success. Oh, why wasn't Baxter there to celebrate with him and then they have some sort of sweet moment?!  But of course, she's waiting to see if that villain still has a hold over her -- and Mosely is just waiting it out.  

I also almost cried when Andy tried to read.  And again when Barrows kept getting shut out, even by the school teacher -- after he'd been kind and brought them lemonade!  (Boy, I must just be emotional tonight, that's a lot of tearing up...)

That moment when Barrows was sitting at the table, and Mr. Mosely said something about never thinking he deserves anything.  And the contemplative look on Barrows face -- he who always thinks he deserves something/everything.  Maybe it was eye-opening for him.  

• Like 1

I don't know that it has to be over between Mary and Talbot. Look what she was like with Matthew! On again, off again. She panics when she cares, probably because she's so unused to it. :p I think I'm waiting for Tom to give her a thick ear over it. She kind of has to be broken to love.

I was annoyed that Edith didn't 'fess up properly.

I'm feeling terribly sorry for Barrow. That guy needs a hug off someone. I think he's desperate enough to accept one, just about.

I'm glad Mrs Patmore and Daisy had their few words and am very happy for Mr Molesely! Give that guy a silly cap and send him off to be a professor!

Sucks to be Mr Carson. :D

• Like 2

I'm also glad that Mrs. Pattmore got her word in with Daisy, and Daisy seemed receptive to it.  

So, so happy for Mr. Mosely!  And I love the teacher!  I wish he'd had a bigger role throughout the years.  I also thought he was tactful towards Barrow... instead of saying you aren't qualified to teach reading to Andy, he said he wouldn't want to confuse him with different methods.  I thought that was nice. 

Also, I've always loved Lord Grantham, and it's for moment like when he got the puppy.  He's just a big kid sometimes.  :-)  

I really hope they don't have Violet die.  I would be so sad.  She was awesome when talking to Lord Merton's DIL.  

I agree with the PP who said it was not the right moment for Edith to blurt out the truth about Marigold.  She needs to tell the truth, but perhaps not right that minute.  Definitely before the marriage planning begins.

I loved Mr Carson cooking.  Great idea!  

What was up with the reporter or policeman taking notes on Mrs. Pattmore?  Sigh.  Can't everyone just end happily???  

What was up with the reporter or policeman taking notes on Mrs. Pattmore?  Sigh.  Can't everyone just end happily???  

Yes!  Forgot about that.  I'm gonna guess that the doctor staying there was staying with someone who wasn't his wife?  Maybe scandal will break out re: the boarding house?

What was up with the reporter or policeman taking notes on Mrs. Pattmore? Sigh. Can't everyone just end happily???

Ok, here are my predications on that:

The guy is a food critic from London. He is going to write a dazzling review that will skyrocket business at Mrs Pattmore's B&B, which will then cause her to leave Downton to run her establishment full time. William's father will become a regular visitor.

Daisy, on the other hand, will eat a big helping of humble pie when she fails her exams. She will then stay on as head cook at Downton and shrewishly enjoy bossing around her new assistant. She and Andy will get married.

More then: Baxter and Mosely (we should have a contest on how to spell this), hitched. She will find the guy has no power over her because there's simply not enough episode time to follow that rabbit trail otherwise.

We will welcome Baby Bates to the big world.

I'm predicting Thomas will ride off into the sunset, his future left entirely to speculation. I can see the writers increasing sympathy for him, but still, what is it they say about karma?

If they don't push Tom & Mary together, it will goes as Rosie said, and Tom will attend Mary's wedding with that editor as his date, DA fans left to their imaginations about the direction that relationship will take. Still, I'd like to see more substance from Pretty Car Boy.

Edith's agent is made of stout stuff. He will accept Marigold wholeheartedly and all of Edith's fearful tense emotional buildup will have been for naught. They move into her London flat to enjoy a Mary-free future.

Perhaps Violet and Lord Grantham both pass, and we see Cora move into the Dowager's cottage, closer to her new work at the hospital and leaving Downton and its administration to the next generation (who have grand plans to start regular house tours and occasionally rent it out to film crews).

Kinda hoping Denker falls overboard in the Mediterranean. Or maybe end up in a French prison for grifting. Some ridiculous end seems fitting for her. Can't you hear Violet: "Quite shocking, really, though not perhaps entirely undeserved."

Isobel has an aha moment, realizes that she and the doc are much better suited to one another and leaves Dicky and his family drama in the dust.

Ok, we'll see what *actually* happens.

Do you ever wonder if the show's writers scout the internet for ideas?

• Like 3

Ok, here are my predications on that:

The guy is a food critic from London. He is going to write a dazzling review that will skyrocket business at Mrs Pattmore's B&B, which will then cause her to leave Downton to run her establishment full time. William's father will become a regular visitor.

Daisy, on the other hand, will eat a big helping of humble pie when she fails her exams. She will then stay on as head cook at Downton and shrewishly enjoy bossing around her new assistant. She and Andy will get married.

More then: Baxter and Mosely (we should have a contest on how to spell this), hitched. She will find the guy has no power over her because there's simply not enough episode time to follow that rabbit trail otherwise.

We will welcome Baby Bates to the big world.

I'm predicting Thomas will ride off into the sunset, his future left entirely to speculation. I can see the writers increasing sympathy for him, but still, what is it they say about karma?

If they don't push Tom & Mary together, it will goes as Rosie said, and Tom will attend Mary's wedding with that editor as his date, DA fans left to their imaginations about the direction that relationship will take. Still, I'd like to see more substance from Pretty Car Boy.

Edith's agent is made of stout stuff. He will accept Marigold wholeheartedly and all of Edith's fearful tense emotional buildup will have been for naught. They move into her London flat to enjoy a Mary-free future.

Perhaps Violet and Lord Grantham both pass, and we see Cora move into the Dowager's cottage, closer to her new work at the hospital and leaving Downton and its administration to the next generation (who have grand plans to start regular house tours and occasionally rent it out to film crews).

Kinda hoping Denker falls overboard in the Mediterranean. Or maybe end up in a French prison for grifting. Some ridiculous end seems fitting for her. Can't you hear Violet: "Quite shocking, really, though not perhaps entirely undeserved."

Isobel has an aha moment, realizes that she and the doc are much better suited to one another and leaves Dicky and his family drama in the dust.

Ok, we'll see what *actually* happens.

Do you ever wonder if the show's writers scout the internet for ideas?

Oh that's be great if the reporter wrote a POSITIVE story for Mrs. Pattmore!  I hadn't even considered that option.  

I'm betting the Dowager passes in the final episode.

Don't say it out loud!!!  Knock on wood!

• Like 1

LOVED how the ladies dealt with Mr. Carson....LOVED it.

I think there is scandal in store with the reporter at Mrs. Pattmore's.  Mr. Grantham will help get it all sorted.  Mrs. Pattmore's dream will continue.  

I think Mary questions why Edith didn't tell her Marigold was her daughter in the first place, and Edith lets her have it.

FWIW, when it comes to Mary and Edith, people seem to forget that Edith wasn't always the poor sister -- she did her share to "get" Mary, sneaky and mean.  This relationship isn't altogether broken, but more in a rut, out of long-standing habits.  Mary got stuck in one way dealing with her sister and just never had the blinders off long enough to really see that Edith had changed.  If you look at how Mary treats others, she is not a completely awful person.  She does try to do what most of us would feel is wonderful and helpful.  It is hard to break out of patterns of behavior that were long-ago set.  I do think these two will make up, but Mary has to be hit with truth bluntly.  She doesn't take to subtle suggestions.  Edith is going to come clean in a fit of anger, and Mary will again have the wind knocked out of her, and see her actions more clearly.  

Henry-Mary-Tom -- I don't know.  I could see this going either way.  Tom, because he knows her so well and balances her out.  He cares about the estate, but also cares about forging his own way.  He has enough of the excitement to drive Mary a bit batty.  Henry?  She cares for him because he makes her feel younger.  She cares for him because in some way, he reminds her of Matthew.  But, besides racing...there isn't a whole lot there.  Mary needs partnership -- but I can see the writers sending her off with Henry just because.  I think her mother is right, though, she's too practical in her approach to relationships.  Which is why Tom would be the better fit.

Edith is getting married for Christmas ;)  Marigold will be the flower girl.  They will move to London.

Mr. Mosely and Mrs. Baxter will get married.

Andy will learn to read and will marry Daisy.  Daisy won't fail her exams and will become a teacher in a village...if she failed them, it wouldn't make very much from Mr. Mosely's tutoring. 

Someone is going to die...odds are in favor of that one.

• Like 3

As much as I love Tom and at times REALLY dislike Mary, I really do feel he would be the better choice. He reminds me of Matthew in a lot of ways with his ability to make Mary really think about the things she believes. He seems like a grounding influence for her prideful personality and he's able to look at the snide things she says for what they really are: a protective shell. However so far there haven't been any romantic vibes between them, so if the writers do swing it that way it will be totally out of left field unless something big happens in the last two episodes.

Edith deserves her happy ending and I think she will be the one that gets it.

As much as I hate Thomas, I really feel bad for him. He truly cares about Downton and the people there despite the awful things he's done. He's feeling lost envisioning a future without them.

And can I just say the growth in Lord Grantham's views from season 1 to this season is awesome! I'm so proud of him!

• Like 2

I'm beginning to think that whoever said that Mary had had her one great romance was right.  I think it would feel abrupt if she suddenly fell for Tom...and I don't want him to settle.

I do NOT see how all this will draw to a close in the next episode + Christmas.  We need -- at least -- 3 more solid episodes.  At least.  :crying:

Maybe the Christmas special will be, like, 3 hours...

I'm beginning to think that whoever said that Mary had had her one great romance was right.  I think it would feel abrupt if she suddenly fell for Tom...and I don't want him to settle.

I do NOT see how all this will draw to a close in the next episode + Christmas.  We need -- at least -- 3 more solid episodes.  At least.  :crying:

Maybe the Christmas special will be, like, 3 hours...

I think I read the Christmas special/finale would be 2 hours.

• Like 1

No one needs to die! That'd be rubbish!

Better to end the show with us all able to keep imagining.

Yeah. Why pick on Mrs Patmore? Didn't she keep her food handling cert. up to date? Her Oc. Health and Safety registration got lost in the post?  :sneaky2:

Now that Andy has 'fessed up, Mr Carson owes Barrow an apology.  :toetap05:

I'm annoyed at Tom for telling Mary she shouldn't give up on Henry. They really have nothing in common at all. I feel like she is just interested in him so she won't be alone. Watching her at the race was just painful, even before the crash. If Tom wants to be around racing car drivers, then he needs to hook up with him :P

I predict Mary ends up unattached. I don't think she will end up with Tom either (but who knows). 

Daisy was less annoying this episode. 

Loved the funny bits with Mr. and Mrs. Carson sitting on the couch, and Mr. Carson's cooking!

All I can say about episode 8 is :eek: :blink: :ack2: !!!

Spacing so it doesn't show up for those who hover on the title, but haven't seen the episode yet.

While I've always had at least a modicum of affection for Mary because of her love story with Matthew this episode just laid any of that to rest. She is a B!$ through and through, a genuinely awful person. I can't believe what she did to Edith and she still comes out on top. I'm so angry with Julian Fellowes for writing it that way. Edith deserved her win for once, just once. I hope Mary's new husband is lousy in bed and she spends her time in a cold, loveless relationship.

• Like 3

That episode seemed like the finale.  Was that it?

So glad that Tom and Edith told Mary off.  So disappointed for Edith, but she really did it to herself.  She should have told the truth when she had the chance.  

Didn't think the B&B incident was that funny. So glad the family stood by their faithful cook.  

Mr. Carson has irritated me these last two episodes.  So glad Mrs. Hughes-Carson still loves him and perhaps can soften him up a bit.

Such a touching scene with Mr. Moseley and his students.  

That was a longer episode than usual, which makes me think that was it!  :( 

• Like 1

The advice columnist....

Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!! That was a great surprise!

Wow yes, Mary was very much not the nice one tonight. I have to say, though, if anyone were shoving a man at me the way everyone was pushing Henry, I'd have been ready to bite all their heads off. I still didn't see enough about Henry to make me think him terrific.

It was cruel of Mary to spill about Marigold, but Edith did goad her. I felt it pretty clear that despite multiple opportunities, Edith was probably planning to deceive Bertie about Marigold. So, Edith definitely had a part in her own bad end. Though it wasn't said, I imagine deep down Bertie knew he couldn't take that news about Marigold to his mother. First we heard of her, and she sounds like a force to be reckoned with.

B&B storyline, it was funny to me but took too much time out of the other storylines. I enjoyed Mrs P's reaction when Lord Grantham made his statement in support of her.

• Like 1

I am still mad about how this episode played out. I was sooooo happy for Edith and laughed so hard I woke the baby when the rank news was shared, should have known that Mary would try to ruin it but wish it hadn't worked. And to still have Mary getting married (besides feeling totally unlikely timeline and Edith showing up, no way) is just making me grumpy with her happy resolution. She should help resolve things for Edith before getting her win.

I assumed the advice writer was a man but did not suspect Sprattt.

I'm hoping Edith gets her happy ending in the Christmas special.

I thought it was sweet of Mary to bring George up to visit Thomas (one of the few nice things she did in this episode).

And ya, the wedding time line didn't make sense. Did Mary just have a wedding dress lying around?

• Like 2

I'm hoping Edith gets her happy ending in the Christmas special.

I thought it was sweet of Mary to bring George up to visit Thomas (one of the few nice things she did in this episode).

And ya, the wedding time line didn't make sense. Did Mary just have a wedding dress lying around?

I was surprised that she dressed nice for it, I was thinking they'd do something more along the lines of an elopement/quick justice of the peace type ceremony.

I hope the Christmas special finds Mary giving Bertie a good talking to the way Tom spoke with her. Maybe she can bring violet along to talk with Bertie's mother. Something, anything, to help make things right for Edith.

Forgot to say earlier that whew! I am relieved they didn't put Tom and Mary together. I was really afraid that's where the writers were heading.

I don't even know what to make of this episode.  I am happy there was some resolution between the sisters.  I'm happy things are going well for Mr. Mosely.  

But poor Edith!  I don't think she quite made her own bed on this one.  She was trying to tell Bertie outside his door when he basically said, "I'll take that as a yes!"  I think, given another quiet moment with him, she would have had it out.  Poor Edith.  I am not sure he is recoverable.  Once trust is broken, how can it be rebuilt?  

But I hope I'm wrong.  Otherwise, what possible plot twist could take up 2 hours in a Christmas special?  Mary is squared away, so the special MUST be Edith-centered, right???

• Like 3

I don't even know what to make of this episode.  I am happy there was some resolution between the sisters.  I'm happy things are going well for Mr. Mosely.  

But poor Edith!  I don't think she quite made her own bed on this one.  She was trying to tell Bertie outside his door when he basically said, "I'll take that as a yes!"  I think, given another quiet moment with him, she would have had it out.  Poor Edith.  I am not sure he is recoverable.  Once trust is broken, how can it be rebuilt?  

But I hope I'm wrong.  Otherwise, what possible plot twist could take up 2 hours in a Christmas special?  Mary is squared away, so the special MUST be Edith-centered, right???

I was naughty, and found some spoilers online that make me hope that those of us on #teamedith won't be disappointed.

Just hints. But still.

For sure. It can't take longer than three minutes all up for Anna to have her baby, perhaps five for Larry to speak to Isobel and get smacked down? 

Not a huge fan of this episode as as a series finale.

I do think the Christmas special will have Bertie returning to Edith. He still loves her -- he just needs time.

Or....what if Michael Gregson returns from a German prison where he's been languishing these past 3ish years? Hmmm...

(J/K, I prefer Bertie...)

I loved that Mosely won over his students.

I loved Mr. Carson's acknowledgement of guilt, that he hadn't thought of Barrow as someone with feelings.

Edith is far more generous than I.

Me: instead of apologizing, I'd pull out a chunk of Mary's hair right before the wedding. Or bloody her nose. Then she'd make a scandalous-looking bride. (I sound so violent-- I'm really not.)

As much as I wanted Edith to really "give it" to Mary (Mary was truly nasty), I have to say I was very touched by Edith's reasoning to be forgiving.  I often times don't see eye to eye with my sister, but I make an effort because both of our parents and only brother are gone, and it is just us who have the personal memories of our family now.  Edith made me realize that, and when she talked about when only she and Mary would be left to remember their family, it made my eyes water.

• Like 3

As much as I wanted Edith to really "give it" to Mary (Mary was truly nasty), I have to say I was very touched by Edith's reasoning to be forgiving. I often times don't see eye to eye with my sister, but I make an effort because both of our parents and only brother are gone, and it is just us who have the personal memories of our family now. Edith made me realize that, and when she talked about when only she and Mary would be left to remember their family, it made my eyes water.

I agree, Edith was more gracious and generous than she needed to be, but I think it was the only way any sort of truce could have been made.

I hope it is Bertie and not Gregson pulled from the woodworks. If it is Gregson, it seems Edith would lose her magazine and independence all in one.

At this point, I'd be happy even with a new guy appearing on scene for her, but Bertie would be better.

Well info assume Edith will get him back but I am still mad that Mary just snapped her fingers and is married. But then it also needed wrapped up as well, do that is one way to do so though the timeline feels ridiculous.

I have mixed feelings thinking that everyone will get their happily ever after ending, it would be nice but then it would also feel fake on some level too.

overall, I have not been impressed with this season overall. It started very slow and seemed that little has happened but maybe it is more that I am just sad to have it all ending.

Oh and there is a Downton Abbey screening party (with dinner and dancing) coming up that i would like to be to attend but knowing how the season ends makes it feel less exciting to go (and I have a baby that will keep me home anyways).

Downton is essentially a soap opera. I don't watch the show for how realistically it portrays anything. ;) I fully expect an over-the-top sappy, happy ending for Edith, Marigold, and Bertie, and I won't be surprised at all if they go with a circle of life theme and the new Bates baby is born after the Dowager Countess passes on.

• Like 4

Not a huge fan of this episode as as a series finale.

I do think the Christmas special will have Bertie returning to Edith. He still loves her -- he just needs time.

Or....what if Michael Gregson returns from a German prison where he's been languishing these past 3ish years? Hmmm...

(J/K, I prefer Bertie...)

I loved that Mosely won over his students.

I loved Mr. Carson's acknowledgement of guilt, that he hadn't thought of Barrow as someone with feelings.

Edith is far more generous than I.

Me: instead of apologizing, I'd pull out a chunk of Mary's hair right before the wedding. Or bloody her nose. Then she'd make a scandalous-looking bride. (I sound so violent-- I'm really not.)

I just watched it and agree that I wasn't a big fan of this episode as a series finale...which of course it truly wasn't the finale if there's a Christmas special in the works.

I read somewhere that the bottom line is that Downton Abbey is about Mary and her lovers, and this finale certainly was no exception. Edith gets upsurped once again. We see Mary as haughty as she's ever been with no sign of the vulnerabilities that sometimes cropped up in the past. She didn't come off as genuine in much of anything, except with her visit to Thomas.

The proposal and wedding seemed "off" somehow, like they needed to rush and get Mary married off before the series ended, and to do so with a romance that didn't look anything like hers did with Matthew. They conveyed very little chemistry there, which was strange since it seemed to be present between them earlier. 

I do think we'll see Edith get her happy ending, with a big, elegant wedding to send off the show. Mary's wedding 2.0 was just a warm-up. 

• Like 2

I read somewhere that the bottom line is that Downton Abbey is about Mary and her lovers, and this finale certainly was no exception. Edith gets upsurped once again. We see Mary as haughty as she's ever been with no sign of the vulnerabilities that sometimes cropped up in the past. She didn't come off as genuine in much of anything, except with her visit to Thomas.

I agree with this, which is why I think it would have been better if this episode had ended with Mary being broken and fallen and Edith having her big day.  Then the Christmas special could have been Mary's coming to grips with who she is, repenting in some form, and then either stepping out as proudly single, or getting the car guy back.  Mary could have come full circle.  

As it is, we are all hoping that Edith's storyline steals the show, which seems weird.  But where could Mary's plot go from here?  Aside form seeing her pregnant, her story has ended.

And Barrow... what are we going to do about him???  He must end up taking Mosely's job as footman.  

Also, did car guy even MEET Master George before they married?  Sheesh.  I can't remember which of you said upthread that the treatment of the children is just appalling, but seriously!  Poor kid.  Even Bertie has already had a tender moment with Marigold, even if she was asleep at the time.  

I guess we'll all just have to stew over this until Christmas!  

• Like 3

Also, did car guy even MEET Master George before they married? 

Does it even matter? It's not like his new step daddy actually has to play any role in his life other than housemate, is it?

Such a foreign way to live. I ran into a whisker of that visiting relatives overseas. They have nannies. It's very different!

• Like 2

I agree with this, which is why I think it would have been better if this episode had ended with Mary being broken and fallen and Edith having her big day.  Then the Christmas special could have been Mary's coming to grips with who she is, repenting in some form, and then either stepping out as proudly single, or getting the car guy back.  Mary could have come full circle.  

:iagree:

I'm sad that there is no lasting change for Mary. Edith summed it up pretty well. "You'll be nicer for a while now that you've gotten your way..." Since Mary's one true love is gone, she'll just be a nasty person forever :(

Edith has matured a lot. I'm sure she will get her happy ending in the last episode. 

• Like 1

I thought Edith and the editor neither one believed it was truly Spratt writing the advice column. They both said, "Bananas" which was supposed to indicate they didn't believe whoever showed up was the real writer. 

Bananas was the codeword that meant they did believe it was the real person.

• Like 2

No way! Downton isn't over until Anna and Bates' baby is born!

With Barrow in attendance, redeeming his sorry reputation, and Isobel offering medical advice on the side, whilst the good Doctor Clarkson arrives too late to help, but declares his undying love for said Isobel, thus fulfilling all hopes and dreams of fans since season 1.

Just throwin' that out there.

• Like 3