Menu

s/o don't y'all talk about......Downton Abbey? (January viewers, enter at the risk of spoilers)

Seasider

I watched it via Simply June. It was OK but kind of dull for a season opener IMHO. I'm glad they tied up one particularly annoying loose end and hope [highlight the text that follows if you want to read the next part, which contains a spoiler] no Bateses are ever suspected of murder again. Enough!

• Like 2

Downton Abbey jumped the shark and we stopped watching. I can't really bring myself to watch it.

What was it that put you over the edge?

I'll admit to not being as stirred by it as I was at the beginning, but knowing this is the last season, for me not to watch would be like not reading the last chapter of a book I've invested time in. That's my personality, if I'm more than 50% through a book, I feel compelled to finish it, even if it weren't stellar. Maybe that's why I like simply june streaming - I can put the series to bed and start 2016 fresh. I mean, I can start 2016 with a fresh breath to hold for the next Sherlock.

• Like 2

I'll admit to not being as stirred by it as I was at the beginning, but knowing this is the last season, for me not to watch would be like not reading the last chapter of a book I've invested time in. 

Me too. I can't imagine not watching it all the way through after seeing this much. Even at its worst, it's still more entertaining than most TV shows I've tried.

• Like 1

I'll admit to not being as stirred by it as I was at the beginning, but knowing this is the last season, for me not to watch would be like not reading the last chapter of a book I've invested time in. That's my personality, if I'm more than 50% through a book, I feel compelled to finish it, even if it weren't stellar. Maybe that's why I like simply june streaming - I can put the series to bed and start 2016 fresh. I mean, I can start 2016 with a fresh breath to hold for the next Sherlock.

Somewhere in the middle of the third season I was like "ok, this is done and over with." It was just too much.

• Like 2

Somewhere in the middle of the third season I was like "ok, this is done and over with." It was just too much.

I thought Lavinia giving her post-death blessing to Mary and Matthew via a planchette was too much, but I kept watching in spite of—or perhaps because of—how over the top it was.

• Like 2

Waiting 'till January.  PLEASE don't spoil it here.

Why are folks clicking on this link to say "don't spoil it"...if you are not watching early it via Simply June or another source then don't open the thread!!!  This is for folks who have started watching it to discuss the show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  So go away, scoot, scat!!!  ;-)

• Like 9

I forgot how much I really just do not like Lady Mary. 

Thomas has job security as long as no one else wants to do piggyback rides.

Lady Edith needs to take Marigold and move.  She can afford a nanny.  Go Edith!

Carson and Mrs. Hughes are too cute for words.

Thank God the Bates's drama is over. Now go adopt a foundling already.

Glad the Dowager saw through her maid's antics and gave her a fright.

• Like 4

It is driving me nuts that they just can't tell the whole story to the wife who originally raised Marigold. Telling her would probably help her understand and move on.

I think they did. Her husband referred to Mary as Marigold's ''Auntie,'' and the only person surprised was Mary.

So far, this season is a big yawn.

• Like 1

I thought this week's episode was boring. The most exciting part was the pigs!

Seriously, I thought the pigs might get loose and run about, something exciting like that.

Mary, do you think the writers are just throwing her under the bus and leaving us to understand that she's going to follow in Violet's footsteps? That she could be so attuned to Anna's needs yet so arrogant about the wedding is confusing to me.

Why doesn't Edith just fire the editor and hire someone who will work well with her? Doesn't she flat out own the paper? As for Marigold, they could have made that more exciting than just a run back to the farm. Maybe the farmer's wife all along had plans to snatch and run, and that could have been more dramatic. Seeing the poor farmer is going to have to move his family and start over, seems like things should have been more drastic. I suppose William's dad will come along and mind the pigs now.

It does kind of feel like they all know the end is near and they're just going through the motions.

As excited as I was for the new and last season, it's been a boring snooze fest so far. It's like each episode is just a way to tie bows on different story lines. Nothing new is being introduced, no new characters or story lines. I understand why, but it's causing DA to lose what made it special. And I was really hoping this season would find Mary returning to the Mary that loved Matthew instead of uber b*tch Mary. I really hope the writers pick things up.

Poor Mr. Drew. I know there's no other way to tie up that storyline, especially since his wife's so attached, but I do so like his character. And his voice is just awesome...

I like Ms. Hughes's bridezilla moment, especially the "you'll have it your way the next 30 years but the wedding is mine!" Or whatever she said. :p Mary needs to realize that Mr. Carson's heart belongs elsewhere (not saying there was ever any romance there, but that she had him wrapped around her finger, always there for her...and that's changing).

Mr. Barrows... What is his deal -- can he not take a hint from that other (clearly uninterested) young man? And why does no one want his help around the house?

I'm glad Mary could help Anna, if for no other reason than I was tired of all the Bates-tears. Goodness, please let them have a baby by the end of the season, since she's determined to think Mr. Bates will be unhappy otherwise.

Mr. Barrows... What is his deal -- can he not take a hint from that other (clearly uninterested) young man? And why does no one want his help around the house?

Dh thinks they are just trying to make us feel sorry for him and like him again. Most of the time I wish his character would just leave!

• Like 3

I think they were just overly-belaboring the point that he's between a rock and a hard place, career-wise. The only chance Barrow has of any kind of job security is to find a job somewhere as a butler (of which there are increasingly fewer and fewer openings), or for Carson to kick the bucket so that he can fill his place. He has few other options. His is a skill-set that is increasingly becoming obsolete, and he's trying to hang on to his usefulness as much as he can.

• Like 2

Loved the episode!

The development with Lady Edith -- fingers crossed! I totally dig it.

Daisy -- grrrrr. I just wanna punch that girl in the face. She's going to make a mess of things.

The surprise at the end -- can't wait to see where that goes!

Lord Grantham's indigestion -- oh dear...

Why didn't Carson kiss the bride when they were pronounced man and wife?  Strange that they waited until outside.

Because they're not American. It would have been strange if he had kissed her in church, given the context.

I do like like Mary and Tom together, sappy as it is. They're not doing poor Daisy any justice so far this season, though it does look like she's going to get the teacher post. So--bets on which of the Bates couple is going to get killed off now that Anna's probably having a baby? No one's allowed a baby on this show without one of the parents dying.

• Like 2

Best line from the last episode, "Well, we sure know Bates isn't the problem!" (or some such similar, from Lady Mary.  LOL at Anna's "Lady Mary!"  How scandalous!)

I think there have been hints at a Mary-Tom "thing" in the past, but I really hope they don't go that route.  I'm so happy Tom is back, I love him!

I feel like there is some thawing between the two sisters, and I really hope that the show ends with them establishing some kind of normal-isn sisterly relationship.  

I loved the wedding, I wish they hadn't made Cora look like a jerk after all the effort she went through to get Mrs. Hughes the wedding she wanted.  Why couldn't the mail order dress simply have been pretty?  Problem solved!

I wonder where they are going with Thomas.  Will he go back to that old man in the run-down house?  What a strange storyline that was.   

• Like 1

I think Tom and Mary would suit each other, but it seems icky to me even though they aren't related. (Granted, Matthew was her cousin, but still.)

I also feel the ick factor but can't well describe it. It seems like it would be a practical marriage more than a passionate one. Mary's character is going to have to change over this season before I'd wish her on anyone, though. Maybe we'll find out some shocking backstory to her poor relationship with Edith.