Menu

How to tell what math concepts are tested on standardized test?

pehp

Hi everyone-I think this may have a 'why didn't I think of that?' answer, but I haven't been able to navigate my way into an answer.  

Our state requires a standardized test at the end of the school year.  My son has scored well so far, no major concerns.  I have noted at times that he's tested on something we haven't actually covered, but he seems to score well in any case.  I have not looked over the test and taught to it and do not plan to do so.  However, I would like to know, as we are getting more advanced, which concepts are generally covered.  Language arts are fine, but because our math learning is *so* different from the way math is taught in traditional schools, I don't want to miss a concept that he'll need to be able to tackle, if that makes sense. I don't worry about him not meeting the minimal requirements (the bar is low, and he always does well) but what I do not want is for him to be totally blindsided to something on the test, because that's a confidence-killer.

We have primarily used Miquon, with a little dry supplementation from Calculadders/R&S when I feel like he needs a little extra drill or that sort of thing.  He's "third grade" this year. His grasp of math concepts is pretty strong, but I don't want to be totally caught off-guard in the spring but something I should have  covered.  This will be our last year of Miquon before we transition fully into something else. 

I have looked at my state's SOLs for third grade math, and that may simply be what I use as my guideline.  I checked the Seton Testing website and can't really find anything specific about which particular concepts are tested (I am operating under the assumption that I'll use IOWA, b/c CAT is not available for 3rd grade).  That's okay, but I am just wondering if there's anything Out There that would be helpful for me.  

TIA!

To find out is very simple. Web search your state's or any other state's  Department of Education for Content Standards.  Better, search for Released Test to find the past few years of  actual tests administered.   I print released tests for my son's grade level, and one or  years higher to use for practice.  good luck 

• Like 2

To find out is very simple. Web search your state's or any other state's  Department of Education for Content Standards.  Better, search for Released Test to find the past few years of  actual tests administered.   I print released tests for my son's grade level, and one or  years higher to use for practice.  good luck 

Ohhh, thanks--I will do this sometime this week.  Thanks again!