Menu

Leftover roast beef

Night Elf

I bought a roast beef that is too big for one dinner. We usually have a little leftover that I put inside crescent rolls as filling for a second dinner. But this time I'll have over a pound left. What should I do with it? I'm thinking of freezing it to use next week, but I'd rather use it up this week. What would you do with a pound of roast beef? It has to be something simple because I'm not a great cook. I can't do complicated recipes.

I bought a roast beef that is too big for one dinner. We usually have a little leftover that I put inside crescent rolls as filling for a second dinner. But this time I'll have over a pound left. What should I do with it? I'm thinking of freezing it to use next week, but I'd rather use it up this week. What would you do with a pound of roast beef? It has to be something simple because I'm not a great cook. I can't do complicated recipes.

Can you shred it and mix with barbecue sauce? Or even if you can't shred it, still mix with barbecue sauce. :lol:

Or sauté some onions and peppers and make Philly cheesesteaks?

Things we do with leftover roast beef.

1. Bar-b-que - shred and warm up with bar-b-que sauce. If you have a lot, serve on buns. If just a little, serve on baked potatoes.

2. Roast Beef Hash - dice up meat, dice up potatoes, maybe carrots too if you like them. Cook diced potatoes in butter/olive oil mixture until starting to brown, then add a little more butter/olive oil and dump in meat. Finish warming together. If the potatoes/carrots are already cooked (leftover from when I cooked them in the crockpot with the roast), just dice them up and cook at the same time as the roast beef.

3. Nachos - shred, mix with a little enchilada sauce, and warm up. Spread your chips on a baking sheet, top with cheese, beans, whatever, and add beef to top. I broil them for maybe 2-3 minutes. Watch because they will burn quickly.

4. Roast beef sandwiches. 

• Like 1

Cottage pie.  It exists to use up leftover roast beef and while some recipes look like they have loads of ingredients it's really basic like onions and carrots normally and nothing long or complicated. You just top it with mashed potato and bake it. Here is a simple recipe, just replace mince with the leftover beef. 

Were having this wonderful leftover tonight....

take some peppers and onions and cut them up...cook them with butter and Worsterchire (I can never spell this correctly)  sauce until tender

shred the roast beef and warm

pull out tortillas and put peppers, onions, shredded roast beef and cheese --fold and cook until everything is nice and hot and melted.

dip them in homemade ranch dressing...to die for!!  I make two roast now just to have leftovers! :)

My mother sometimes makes something called Pytt i panna, which is like a Swedish version of hash, made with leftovers.

I don't have her recipe though, and this is one of the only ones I can find online:

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/beef-recipes/pytt-y-panna-little-pieces-in-a-pan/#VIqctC0FxMdRIW5b.97

But of all the meat listed in that recipe, the only meat she ever uses is leftover roast beef, shredded.  And she doesn't put a raw quail egg on top!  ha, I think that's just Jamie Oliver's version.  Actually, she doesn't make a dressing either.  Her recipe is pretty basic.  However, we do like it with a regular ol' poached chicken egg on top.

I must say I keep thinking of your crescent rolls stuffed with pieces of roast beef.  That sounds really good!