Menu

If you use AAR what do you use for handwriting

Blessed with seven

We use Pentime cursive. We didn't use anything for manuscript but Pentime starts with print and moves to cursive.

ETA I chose Pentime because of price and style (it was similar to cursive they did in private school last year). Using AAR had no bearing on my choice.

There are no writing exercises in AAR (at least through 2) so you can definitely choose anything that appeals to you. DS has used HWT from pre-k through 1st and I'm not a fan. It's very redundant for a child who is writing well but also has very little practice for a child that needs more. I bought it because it was very popular but I didn't realize it was so classroom based with so much unnecessary extras. DS learned more and had more practice with Kumon and ETC. I highly recommend ETC with AAR. I wish I had started it sooner to help DS when we first started AAR1 and he was learning the concepts but I thought it would be harder. Now it's pretty much just handwriting practice since we haven't caught up to where he is with AAR.

I have another question PLEASE.  I am sort of stuck in the WRTR mode of teaching handwriting as they learn the letters sounds.  Start with a, c, g. o etc...  Now...I AM using AAR, that is not a debate.  I am just really struggling with the handwriting and if I get a book like Reason for Handwriting then they are learning to write letters that they aren't using for reading etc...

Is this an issue for anyone.  I know a lot of this is they way I am thinking etc...  I really really want a handwriting book, it just seems to get "done" that way!

Thanks!

Kim

I have another question PLEASE.  I am sort of stuck in the WRTR mode of teaching handwriting as they learn the letters sounds.  Start with a, c, g. o etc...  Now...I AM using AAR, that is not a debate.  I am just really struggling with the handwriting and if I get a book like Reason for Handwriting then they are learning to write letters that they aren't using for reading etc...

Is this an issue for anyone.  I know a lot of this is they way I am thinking etc...  I really really want a handwriting book, it just seems to get "done" that way!

Thanks!

Kim

Does he need a lot of work on learning letter sounds? I ask because usually by AAR 1, they know most letter sounds. Maybe there are a few gaps that need to be filled in or a few that need to be reviewed--but if he has to learn a lot of letters and it's causing issues, you may want to consider whether Pre-reading would be a better placement. Or, you may want to just wait a bit on AAR 1 if he's strong on the other components (like phonological awareness skills) and just needs to learn letter sounds. Work through a handwriting book and teach the sounds as he writes letters, and then start in with AAR 1 again after that. If you decide he should back up to Pre-reading, it's much easier at that level to do handwriting and letters in the same order. The book has letters in alphabetical order, but you can choose to do the first 2 sections (capitals and smalls) in the order of your handwriting book instead if you like. Just be sure to keep the "Language Exploration" sections in order.

I have another question PLEASE. I am sort of stuck in the WRTR mode of teaching handwriting as they learn the letters sounds. Start with a, c, g. o etc... Now...I AM using AAR, that is not a debate. I am just really struggling with the handwriting and if I get a book like Reason for Handwriting then they are learning to write letters that they aren't using for reading etc...

Is this an issue for anyone. I know a lot of this is they way I am thinking etc... I really really want a handwriting book, it just seems to get "done" that way!

Thanks!

Kim

I struggled a little with this last year as my dd was learning letter sound via AAR pre level and using the HWOT preK book. I just let them work. I introduced the letter in HWOT (all capitals in pre K HWOT) and told her the sound but didn't get hung up on if she retained it or not-- saving the phonics work for AAR. It worked out fine and now that she is doing AAR 1- she knows all the letters and sounds and handwriting remains an unrelated subject.