Menu

Drawing programs to use with a Wacom tablet?

We bought a Wacom tablet for DD during October 2012. A wonderful device and the Software that came with it is also excellent.  My DD is studying now, so I will not interrupt her, but ASAP, I will ask her which program(s) she uses with her Wacom.  Although we bought it for a Math course, I believe most of her use has been for Drawing.  More information to follow.

My dd started with Microsoft Paint and really learned a lot figuring out how to do things (the hard way) there. She now primarily draws using PaintTool SAI, a Japanese product. I'd prefer to switch her to Photoshop as it's the industry standard but I can't justify paying for the CC subscription.

I forgot about PaintTool SAI.  We paid for that some time ago. It is apparently a program that is *widely* used.    Still waiting for Lunch so I can ask DD about which program(s) she uses with her Wacom.

Follow on: DD came in here and I asked her which program(s) she uses with her Wacom Bamboo.  In addition to PaintTool SAI, the Japanese program mentioned upthread, she also uses the AutoDesk Sketchbook program that came with the Wacom Bamboo. However, she said the free version of AutoDesk Sketchbook is a reduced version. Mostly, she uses PaintTool SAI.

I forgot about PaintTool SAI.  We paid for that some time ago. It is apparently a program that is *widely* used.    Still waiting for Lunch so I can ask DD about which program(s) she uses with her Wacom.

Follow on: DD came in here and I asked her which program(s) she uses with her Wacom Bamboo.  In addition to PaintTool SAI, the Japanese program mentioned upthread, she also uses the AutoDesk Sketchbook program that came with the Wacom Bamboo. However, she said the free version of AutoDesk Sketchbook is a reduced version. Mostly, she uses PaintTool SAI.

Yes, my dd really likes the functionality of PaintTool SAI. Apparently it uses layers like Photoshop does, and has a lot of really nice blending options. And ways to draw hair/fur. (She draws cats. A lot.) And it's only about a $40 one-time purchase, depending on the yen exchange rate.