Menu

Without looking it up, would you know what this phrase means?

poppy

213 members have voted

1. 1. Do you get what "go to the mattresses" means?

• I do
    • I know where the reference is from, but I don't really know what it means
    • No, what the heck are you talking about?
    • Another answer - please specify

"Go to the mattresses" is an actual quote.

I know the original movie (but haven't seen it). The phrase was referenced in another movie (staring Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan) - that's how I know the original.

I have seen the original movie several times but wouldn't have picked the line out.  It was only because of the other movie that I remember it.  

• Like 3

This is cracking me up, it is NOT a  You've Got Mail reference! 

I've not seen that, but I'm sure they are quoting the source movie- The Godfather.

It means "we will be sleeping in some dumpy apartment (on mattresses), ready for violence, during a mob war."

Love the unexpected twist this thread took.

• Like 5

You know what is really funny is that Mindy Kaling very frequently references You've Got Mail.... Won't be long until it's a 3rd hand reference for a lot of people.

Going to the mattresses is such an unusual turn of phrase. I wonder if it's less odd sounding in Italian. I wonder if it came from Italy at all. I read The Godfather book many many years ago but all I remember is the weird x rated s*x scenes.

I voted "no" and I've seen "You've Got Mail" several times (which I see from the comments above is what this is from).

you've got mail barely touches on the scene from The Godfather (which is where the line is from.).  the quote *barely* touches on the scene . . . .

think (highlight to see text. consider yourself warned.)  "man wakes up next to his bloody horses head in his now soaking with blood bed."

and to think francis ford coppola did the movie because he desperately needed the money  . . . .

This is cracking me up, it is NOT a  You've Got Mail reference! 

I've not seen that, but I'm sure they are quoting the source movie- The Godfather.

It means "we will be sleeping in some dumpy apartment (on mattresses), ready for violence, during a mob war."

Love the unexpected twist this thread took.

Yes, and in You've Got Mail it's very clear it's a quote from The Godfather.  He explains it.  That's the only reason I knew it.

• Like 2

You've Got Mail.  Tom Hanks tells Meg Ryan to "Go to the mattresses."   I think it was a Godfather reference, but he means "It is business, not personal.  Fight with all you have and don't worry about looking nice.  Don't be nice."

I suppose the Godfather would be the original source, but I don't remember as much about those movies as I saw them a long time ago and don't have a desire to rewatch them (too heavy), whereas You've Got Mail is a light, fun rom-com that is great for the "I'm too sick to read, but too awake to sleep" days.

• Like 5

Going to the mattresses is such an unusual turn of phrase. I wonder if it's less odd sounding in Italian. I wonder if it came from Italy at all. I read The Godfather book many many years ago but all I remember is the weird x rated s*x scenes.

It's definitely in the books, not just in the movies.

It implies a room full of mattresses and not much else except guns and ammo.  Sleeping down low and not being seen through the windows.  Ready to fight, and not thinking about much else except winning that fight.  Very, very focussed.  

• Like 3

Slightly OT, but I watched You've Got Mail last night for the first time in years as a result of this thread.  It has, weirdly, always been one of the only rom/com type movies that I've liked.  But upon rewatching for the 10th time, I realized that both main characters are having emotional affairs.  Maybe it never bothered me when I watched it years ago because meeting people online wasn't as big of a thing as it is now.  Darn these changing times - it took the shine off my movie!

• Like 1