Menu

Greek Life - why the need for student SS#?

Miss Marple

This whole "Greek life" thing is new to me.  However, my youngest is enthralled...so we are learning.  He texted me this afternoon asking for his SSN (I've given it to him umpteen times-kid can memorize pages, but not his SSN).  He said the national organization asks for it on a form he is filling out.  He doesn't know why they need it; he promised to ask before giving it.  While he may ask, I'm sure he can be easily persuaded that it is "necessary".  I, on the other hand, am a stickler about giving out SSNs.  I cannot fathom why a private organization that isn't involved in health care/insurance should have any need for his SSN.  We also have no idea what mechanisms they use to keep the information safe.

So...if you have any idea why they need this, would you tell me?  I'm not sure when/if DS will tell me (probably after he gives it to them).   If I "offer" to call the organization, he will be convinced that I'll ruin his life (the Greek one).

I know nothing but I googled the question. Here's something, there must be more.

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=113081

It looks like the national organization wants to be sure they can get unpaid dues. But there are ways for the number not to be floating through extra hands. Good luck!

Yes, that's the only thing I can find as well.  I sent a message via the local frat's "contact us" site.  No identifiers were asked that could link me to my son...his life is safe so far  :laugh:

• Like 1

I keep a fake SSN just for this purpose.  My first choice is always to conspicuously not provide it when it is not necessary, but every once in a while, it is just easier to go with the fake number.  All of my family members have the same fake SSN so I can remember it.  I also have a fake phone number and address.  

• Like 2

I keep a fake SSN just for this purpose.  My first choice is always to conspicuously not provide it when it is not necessary, but every once in a while, it is just easier to go with the fake number.  All of my family members have the same fake SSN so I can remember it.  I also have a fake phone number and address.  

Ooh, I like this idea.  I have a fake birthday but not a fake ssn.  But wouldn't it cause trouble for you down the road?  What situations do you use the fake ssn?  

But if you give a fake number, how do you know it is really fake and not just somebody else's? Giving someone else's number doesn't seem like a good idea to me, both for the other poor person and for yourself. Is there a number that for sure has no other person attached to it?

Nan

Because there is a code for SSNs, and my fake one doesn't match anyone's code.  It couldn't be a real SSN.  My fake address does not exist; my fake phone number is someone's fax number.  

Eta:  Also, I never give my fake SSN to anyone who might actually need to use it one of these days. 

• Like 2

Ooh, I like this idea.  I have a fake birthday but not a fake ssn.  But wouldn't it cause trouble for you down the road?  What situations do you use the fake ssn?  

Doctor's offices, for one.  Mostly I leave those blank, but if someone insists and I am not in the mood to cause a scene, I'll give my kid's SSN as my fake one.  I never use the fake number for the IRS, an employer, a bank, or anyone else who is required by law to obtain my SSN or who is actually a government agency.  

• Like 2

I love thus idea of a fake ssn when one isn't really required. I found another link that shows what numbers haven't been issued. The first three digits of SSN 700-728 were issued to railway workers for their retirement program before 1964 and have been discontinued. It looks like they haven't issued numbers that start with 800. So making up SSN of something like 925-55-6767 means no one has that number.

ETa: it looks like the link I posted is old and hasn't been updated recently. The started assigning 750 to Hawaii residents because they ran out of their original first three digit code. So don't use 750. It looks like they haven't assigned numbers in the 900's yet.

• Like 1

Has anyone investigated the legality/legal ramifications of using a fake SSN?  Many of the documents that ask for a SSN also have you "swear" that the information is true and correct.  I wouldn't want to have trouble down the road...

If you use the fake SSN to commit fraud, such as to obtain medical services under a false identity--services that you do not intend to pay for--then you have engaged in a theft of services, not because you gave a fake SSN but because you stole services.  Giving the fake SSN to your pest control company or fraternity or someone else whose bill you fully intend to pay is not fraud and is not illegal.  If, however, this concerns you, you're probably not the right temperament for throwing around fake SSNs, phone numbers and addresses.  There's nothing wrong with that, of course.  I personally have no problem substituting my judgment for that of some random medical office manager who is using forms she pulled off of the internet.  Of course I am not suggesting giving a fake SSN to the IRS or an employer or a bank.  Fraternities, however?  Sure.

• Like 2