Menu

Full time RV/road schooling?

mamabear2three

My husband and I are considering this possibility sometime in the next 2-3 years when the kids will be ages 10, 7, 5, and 3.

One of the big questions is a job for DH - he is in the process of finishing his masters degree this school year, but is currently a music teacher and teaches lessons on the side. His masters will be in technology education. He has mentioned the possibility of doing online teaching but I don't know if that would be enough income and we were wondering what other mobile job opportunities there might be to help support us while we traveled? 

I'd love to know where people with kids tend to camp to have a better idea of a budget for campsites (I know that it is possible to boondock and save money but how feasible is it really?).

Does anyone on here live on an RV and be willing to let me pick your brain a little?

Thanks!

We are thinking about doing it in 2-3 years as well. We are looking at a 35ish foot 5th wheel with a bunkhouse for our two boys. You might want to check out a couple of FB page/groups:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/worldschoolers/

https://www.facebook.com/GoneWithTheWynns

https://www.facebook.com/GoRVing

https://www.facebook.com/RoadschoolingFamilies

https://www.facebook.com/newschoolnomads?fref=ts

• Like 3

We did this for a few months. My children were older. They each had a box of school materials that lived next to them in the car. They had headphones so they could listento music, block out noise to study, or get some privacy. Hoodies are good for that, too. I had boxes of reading under a bunk and canned goods under another. We towed a popup. We stuck mostly to state and national parks, since that was the purpose of the trip. Commercial campgrounds were four or five times more expensive. The more ammenities like electricity, sewer and water hookup, laundry, or showers, the more expensive the site is. We stayed a lot of places where there was no electricity and in order to get enough signal to connect to the internet or make a conference call, my husband had to drive up the nearest hill and stand on the roof of the car. He did a fair amount of work at local public libraries. If you stuck to more urban areas, you would have fewer connection problems, probably? We were after natural beauty, which was rather incompatable with modern ammenities. I had a set menu for breakfast and lunch, which simplified life - yoghurt and fignewtons for breakfast, pbj and milk andlittle carrots and fruit for lunch. That way, i figured it didn,t matter what supper was, since everyone already had had fruit, veg, and protien. I had a milk crate of cooking stuff, a couple of boxes of food, and two coolers. That way, it was easy to drag it out to cook on the picnic table. We bought ice at convenience stores and kept the dairy stuff in one cooler (which was being openned all the time) and the rest of the food in the other. I had a twoburner propane stove for cooking on the picnic table. Each person had a snack container, a mug for hot drinks, a cup for cold, and a spoon. They washed them themselves. We had a water jug with a spout that we turned on its side on the picnic table. Voila - running water! We used mostly paper plates. We had a set of plastic bowls for soup or whatever that I washed. That kept down the work and expense. Everyone had a clothes bag but I kept all the swimming stuff in one bag and our coats in another. Those lived in a clamshell on the car roof. The popup was great - spacious, cheap, and comfortable. Bikes are really great for children in campgrounds. We had a great time, but we are all used to living on a boat for a month in the summer. We are all used to living crammed together, eating out of an icebox, having no running water, and dealing with all sorts of weather. Rv-ing is easy compared to our style of boating.

Nan

• Like 1

We do. Although we don't travel as much as I wish we could because really itt can be exhausting. The fb group Fulltime Families was a lifesaver when we first started.

We've never boon docked. It just isn't something I'm comfortable with although most people do eventually. Lots of people have Thousand Trails memberships. You can buy those used to save money. Different plans have different perks. Many places offer monthly prices so it is cheaper if you stay in one place for a full month.

Internet access can be a pain especially if he needs it for work. Lots of campgrounds have free access but most are super slow and spotty. So I wouldn't really plan on counting on that.

feel free to pm me for any other questions. I don't come here very often so that'll get my attention quicker.

• Like 2