Menu

Apologia General Science - marking labs and notebook

Dd 7th grade is doing Apologia Gen Sci this year, largely independently.  I also purchased the notebook for her use. 

The trouble is that there doesn't seem to be an answer key!  I'm not reading through the text with her so I'm not sure how to mark some of her answers.  I found the "On Your Own" answers at the back of the text, and I have the Solutions and Tests manual.

However, I can't find any guidance on what should be included in the lab reports beyond very general guidelines.  There also questions in the notebook that don't have an answer guide.

Am I on my own here?

• 4 weeks later...

Dd 7th grade is doing Apologia Gen Sci this year, largely independently. I also purchased the notebook for her use.

The trouble is that there doesn't seem to be an answer key! I'm not reading through the text with her so I'm not sure how to mark some of her answers. I found the "On Your Own" answers at the back of the text, and I have the Solutions and Tests manual.

However, I can't find any guidance on what should be included in the lab reports beyond very general guidelines. There also questions in the notebook that don't have an answer guide.

Am I on my own here?

Look in the back section of the lab book. I don't have ours in front of me, but there are different sections and one of them includes answers. HTH.

I just have my kids use the notebook as more of a study guide for themselves. They grade their own OYO questions and if they get them wrong they're expected to figure out why. They know they're responsible for all the info in the notebook because it will likely be on the test, but I don't grade anything except the tests and the lab reports. For those, I use the guidelines in the front of the lab section that tells them what type of information to include in each section.

Sorry, I know that doesn't answer your question exactly, but maybe it would make you less concerned about what to grade! :)

I just have my kids use the notebook as more of a study guide for themselves. They grade their own OYO questions and if they get them wrong they're expected to figure out why. They know they're responsible for all the info in the notebook because it will likely be on the test, but I don't grade anything except the tests and the lab reports. For those, I use the guidelines in the front of the lab section that tells them what type of information to include in each section.

Sorry, I know that doesn't answer your question exactly, but maybe it would make you less concerned about what to grade! :)

I guess I could let dd check her own OYO questions. I do feel like I need to check in too. If she's misunderstood something it's helpful to know before she gets it wrong on a test.

I've seen the guidelines about lab reports but I don't know how to evaluate the info she has included without taking time to read through the lab instructions to know if she missed anything.

• Like 1

I guess I could let dd check her own OYO questions. I do feel like I need to check in too. If she's misunderstood something it's helpful to know before she gets it wrong on a test.

I've seen the guidelines about lab reports but I don't know how to evaluate the info she has included without taking time to read through the lab instructions to know if she missed anything.

I tell them the point of a lab report is for someone who hasn't read the experiment instructions in the book - in this case, me :) - to be able to read the report and figure out how what happened and to replicate it on their own if they want to. The following is how I grade their lab reports ... YMMV.

Each lab is worth 10 points.

1 point for objective/purpose - What do they expect to discover or learn? Usually about 1 sentence

1 point for hypothesis - Must be an in/then statement

1 point for accurate materials

1 point for accurate procedure

2 points for data and observations - measurements, sketches

1 point for results - What did the data show? - could include chart or graph

3 points for discussion/conclusion - Usually a paragraph answering these questions: Was the hypothesis supported? Why or why not? What errors could have caused the results? How does this relate to what they read in the text?

• Like 2

Dd 7th grade is doing Apologia Gen Sci this year, largely independently.  I also purchased the notebook for her use. 

The trouble is that there doesn't seem to be an answer key!  I'm not reading through the text with her so I'm not sure how to mark some of her answers.  I found the "On Your Own" answers at the back of the text, and I have the Solutions and Tests manual.

However, I can't find any guidance on what should be included in the lab reports beyond very general guidelines.  There also questions in the notebook that don't have an answer guide.

Am I on my own here?

The Solutions manual has answers for the review questions and tests--are the questions in the notebook the review questions? Otherwise I'd email or call Apologia--there should be answers for the notebook questions somewhere!