Menu

When someone texts you...

CAMom

212 members have voted

1. 1. When someone texts you.....

• I reply with a text.
    • I follow up with a phone call.
    • I follow up with an email.
    • I ignore it and don't follow up at all.
    • Other

I'm just wondering what the norm is. I have a friend who almost always calls me immediately after I text her. She usually says, "I thought it would just be easier to call you." I often think, "I'm the one who texted you. If it was easier to be on the phone, I would have called." :)

I am usually just texting with a quick update on a scheduling issue, a very simple question requiring maybe a one sentence answer, etc.

Granted, I am a major introvert and hate the phone.

So, what is your experience?

If someone texts me and I think it warrants further discussion/details I always ask if it's a good time to call. Though I'm an extrovert I'm not one to just call and chat (unless one of us has moved away) and I appreciate texting for simple scheduling stuff. It sounds like your friend enjoys chatting, even if not strictly necessary ;)

• Like 2

Depends.

My mom or brothers will text if it is during the day, because they know that we homeschool. Usually their conversations are long, so it is just easier to let them know I will call them instead. If it is dh, I know that he is at work and won't usually call unless it is really important. Most of the time though, I hate talking on the phone, so I will return a text with a text.

I think it depends for me. I try to respond via text. 

If we are in the middle of a conversation (or a day-long chat where we text as we can), I reply when I have a chance. However, if in the midst of the conversation, I need to explain something more in depth, I will call. (It's usually my mom, sister, or best friend, so I can usually tell if it's a good time to call or not.) 

ETA: If I'm not able to text (driving or whatever), I will call. 
Also, my husband will call. He HATES texting. 

• Like 1

Texting isn't easy for everyone.  Typing on a teeny tiny keyboard when you might need one of your hands and both of your eyes for something else can be difficult, especially for someone who hardly ever texts.

So, it was easier for her to call you.

I generally hate talking on the phone, and I would rather have the flexibility of answering a text when it's a good time for me.  Plus, bonus, people who are blabbermouths are usually a little more concise when they text.  :)  But I know some people who will never or rarely text, so I respect their preferences.

• Like 2

when I had my flip phone, I rarely responded to texts unless the answer was very short. I'd pick up the phone and call depending on circumstances

Now that I have an iphone I am somewhat more likely to respond to text with text. but if it is involved or long, I will still respond with a call or an email. It's SO much easier to type on a regular keyboard and have the whole screen to look at, format the reply, etc.

ETA: My husband still has a flip phone. I still send him texts for information he needs to see but not right away. (He  checks his voice mail once a month or something) But I expect if the answer is more than "Ok" He's going to call me back.

• Like 1

I think it is 10x easier and quicker to have a quick conversation than spend a lot of time typing out responses, but texts allow the other person to respond when it is convenient for them.  Perhaps she figures that you were giving her the opportunity to respond when convenient, and since it was convenient for both of you right then it is just easier to have the conversation?

And I have no cell service, so can't get texts at home or most places near my home.  I would be emailing or calling anyway.

• Like 1

I reply via the same method I was contacted.

However, if I thought it would be easier to talk, I might text back something like "I think this would be easier to talk over than do via text.  Is this a good time to call you?" 

I have an old cellphone that is hard to text on but I know some people who prefer to text so I do it their way.

• Like 1

I reply with a text. I use text or email whenever possible, even if someone calls and leaves a message. (I don't text someone unless the person has initiated a text or previously given the OK for me to text. Obviously there are situations when texting or emailing won't work, so in that case I sigh heavily and call back.)

I'm just wondering what the norm is. I have a friend who almost always calls me immediately after I text her. She usually says, "I thought it would just be easier to call you." I often think, "I'm the one who texted you. If it was easier to be on the phone, I would have called." :)

I am usually just texting with a quick update on a scheduling issue, a very simple question requiring maybe a one sentence answer, etc.

It depends.

If the answer is a simple "OK" then I do just text that.

ANything more and I call or email, if time isn't an issue.  And I would call from my home phone if possible.  I have a pre-paid tracfone and pay per minute/text. Also a $5 dumb phone and a cataract and fat slow fingers, so texting isn't so easy for me.

Well, generally if it's too complicated to text I either call immediately or text back "Too much to text.  Will call later."

If you have a certain friend that clearly hates texting, stop texting her.  Either she doesn't have the right plan, doesn't have a phone that makes texting easy, or just in general hates it.  Follow the golden rule and call her instead.

I voted that I reply with a text. I like the convenience of texting, and texting back right away is easy..

I also voted "Other," because I will sometimes follow up with a phone call if I feel that the information is too detailed and immediately necessary it all to get into a text, or I will follow up with an email if the info is too detailed but not immediately needed.

Sometimes I ignore a text or forget to reply. Oops. That's the downfall of the convenience and immediacy of text messaging, for me anyway, is that if I don't respond right away, it will sometimes get away from me.

Maybe she doesn't text well. Maybe she's lonely because her husband just left for a 3 day trip and your conversation is all she'll have today for "real" adult conversation, maybe she's sees that you've texted so you're prob free for a quick chat. Sorry, I know I'm projecting, and I don't always call, but I have a couple friends that I sometimes do for the above reasons.

• Like 1

If it is more than 1 sentence I call. While I like the idea of texting, I am slow and it is damaging to your thumbs over the long term. 

I have had people tell me they prefer to be texted.  This was not in response to me calling them, but just as a matter of fact they want to be contacted that way.  I don't have means to contact them in that way though so usually they settle for Facebook or e-mail.

I wonder if there is a way to text people using my computer.  I should look into that.

As an introvert, I hate talking on the phone. So I also respond to phone calls with text messages. If I send a text message to someone I expect them to respond via text message. If they call back instead, I usually let it go to voicemail then listen to the message and respond via text. People eventually get the idea that I am not a phone person and realize the best way to reach me is text messaging.

• Like 1

I find that I prefer texting much more now that I have a smartphone, not only because it's easier to text on than my old flip phone, but mostly because the quality of sound on the smartphone is terrible! So many advances with phones and they can't get better at the actual "phone" part?

• Like 1

I respond with a text.  If someone texted me and I felt the need for a phone conversation (I can see reason for that) I would text first with a 'can you talk? I think this would be easier if we actually speak". I am frequently texting with people while I go from one thing to the next (walking, not driving) or also homeschooling etc and I can't talk then.

But then again, I have got something like 10 phone calls on my 'phone' in the 4 years I have owned it. Everyone I know texts all the time

Depends.

If the text is something like "are we still meeting at 6pm?" or "will you be home for dinner?", i.e. something that requires only a brief reply, I text.

If the text is something open ended like "Just wanted to see how you're doing" or "we should think about getting together" , I would prefer to call to discuss this in detail by phone. I dislike texting back and forth or explaining complicated issues by text. Talking is faster. And cheaper if you don't have a flat rate for texting.

ETA: With a flip phone with keypad, texting is a royal PITA.

• Like 1

I text back. I figure if someone texted me, that's how they want to communicate with me.

The only time I call is if we're texting back and forth (usually working out details of some activity/event) and it starts to get cumbersome. Sometimes it is easier to just call and talk. But by that time, the other person usually agrees it's better to call each other.

It drives me nuts!  I have one friend who does that.  I have five kids and we're busy, so texting for this introvert is a life saver!  I only ever call after a text if they specifically request I do or there's something very serious (hospital, etc.) and I have time to call.  I honestly just don't answer my calls a lot because I know I won't be able to hear the phone call.  I've had several ear surgeries, so that on top of distractions makes talking on the phone VERY challenging. 

Other... depends on the person.

I prefer talking to texting (I'm dyslexic), but have adapted to the world around me and text more than talk.

I have one friend who doesn't mind talking on the phone but will text so she doesn't interrupt what others are doing.  I usually call her back, unless it is a simple 5 word answer.

My daughter is in school, so I text her during school hours.  If it is a complicated issue, then I just text back 'call me' and she will call when she can.

I have another friend who pretty much only texts, so I only text her.

I have another friend who likes to talk, but has a new baby who is a light sleeper, so I always respond in text because I figure the baby is asleep if she texted me.