Menu

Anyone want to play food detective?

AlmiraGulch

Who wants to take help me figure out which of the following ingredients just gave me the raging headache I have right now? It's awful.  

I had some grilled chicken nuggets and a diet lemonade from Chick Fil A.  It's all I've eaten today, and the headache came on within 10 minutes of finishing the meal.  

The diet lemonade has Splenda in it, but that's not usually a headache trigger for me at all, so I'm thinking maybe it was something in the chicken.  I don't know enough about them to figure out what might cause my head to feel like it's in a vise.  

If someone has any ideas, please share so I can avoid that ingredient in the future!

Chick-fil-A® Grilled Nuggets    Add to Meal Calculator

Grilled chicken (whole breast filet, seasoning [water, apple cider vinegar, soybean oil, yeast extract, salt, modified corn starch, palm oil, dehydrated garlic, dehydrated onion, corn maltodextrin, sea salt, flavor, sugar, chicken stock, cane molasses, chicken fat, spice, natural flavor {including smoke}, dextrose, lemon peel, citric acid, red bell pepper, orange juice concentrate, grape juice concentrate, natural flavor, paprika, vinegar, xanthan gum, ascorbic acid, and spices]).

Here's the thing. There is both "flavor" and "natural flavor" ingredients. Three different doses of it.

AKA: we don't want to tell you and the quantities are low enough that the gov agrees we don't have to.

Artificial sweeteners are also a very well known cause of many symptoms, including headache.

• Like 2

Do you eat out often? If not, then almost anything there could be a trigger, even the salt.

If so, then I don't see anything unusual for restaurant food. Maybe your headache is allergy related? Check your local pollen and mold counts.

I do actually eat out often, but I haven't eaten out in weeks, and my diet has been completely clean during that time.  Nothing processed, no grains, no dairy.  Maybe my body has been used to the crap I've been feeding it, and is not rebelling at the reintroduction of fast food?  

Definitely not environmental allergens.

I also haven't had any artificial sweeteners for the past several weeks, so maybe it's the Splenda.

I don't know, but it's killing me!  I shouldn't have eaten out, but I was desperate and I was hungry.  And out.  

I do actually eat out often, but I haven't eaten out in weeks, and my diet has been completely clean during that time. Nothing processed, no grains, no dairy. Maybe my body has been used to the crap I've been feeding it, and is not rebelling at the reintroduction of fast food?

Definitely not environmental allergens.

I also haven't had any artificial sweeteners for the past several weeks, so maybe it's the Splenda.

I don't know, but it's killing me! I shouldn't have eaten out, but I was desperate and I was hungry. And out.

If this was your absolute first crap food after weeks of clean eating, it could be *anything*. Or a combination of many. If this was your first reintroduction of grains, you may have just inadvertently discovered a gluten intolerance. Or corn. Or soy. Or... Anything.

• Like 1

Since you have eaten clean for weeks, your headache might simply be caused by the bombardment of the fast food. Salt, msg, Splenda...it might just be too much for your system to handle all at once.  And since you were really hungry, you might have already been on your way to a headache. 

Hope you feel better soon. 

• Like 1

If this was your absolute first crap food after weeks of clean eating, it could be *anything*. Or a combination of many. If this was your first reintroduction of grains, you may have just inadvertently discovered a gluten intolerance. Or corn. Or soy. Or... Anything.

It's probably this.  You're likely right.

If that's not motivation enough to keep it clean, I don't know what is.