Menu

#IStandWithAhmed

Word Nerd

When somebody has the NHLF logo made, start a new thread, please.

If nobody does it by the weekend I'll ask my kid to give it a try. He's good at stuff like that.

I might need to buy shirts in bulk, for everyone on my shopping list.

...Although Alex has been known to voice strong opinions about the difference between "nerdy" and "geeky." I'd wear either shirt, but I think she'd prefer Geeky Homeschoolers Liberation Front.

• Like 7

Seriously. This. Anyone who thinks that clock looks like a bomb needs to turn off the spy shows for a bit. Any teacher who not only thinks it looks like a bomb, but thinks it's a good idea to hang onto a "bomb" for several hours before reporting it needs to turn off the TV forever. And find another line of work.

I rather think the prop-masters for most spy shows and crime procedurals build more realistic fake bombs. Regardless the first thing you need is a place to put the explosive material. There is no such place in that clock. Unless the batteries are supposed to be the explosives but if they are the explosives, what would power the clock? Again, I'm not all that well educated in science or electronics. This is still all manifestly obvious. Even to someone who has seen more bombs on episodes of silly TV shows than anywhere else.

• Like 2

I might need to buy shirts in bulk, for everyone on my shopping list.

...Although Alex has been known to voice strong opinions about the difference between "nerdy" and "geeky." I'd wear either shirt, but I think she'd prefer Geeky Homeschoolers Liberation Front.

Alex and my son are separated by denominational differences. He vastly prefers nerd to geek.

• Like 5

An acquaintence on FB told me she understood the school official's point of view and that kid would be ok because he had an invite to see POTUS. But what if there hadn't been this internet uproar? I think the police and the school system were shamed into dropping the charges because of the uproar. What about the kid that isn't as photogenic or doesn't have a sister with a twitter account? I think he would still be detained.

• Like 20

They show real ones on the news and in books a lot. But even on TV, they always come with explosives. ;)

I guess I don't read a lot of real bomb picture books. At least I can't think of the last one I read. ;)

Perhaps "suspicious device" is too general and people just don't think beyond "I don't know what this is".

I don't think the cops should have been called in this case. I think it was dumb on the part of the administration. But, it's not that odd to me that people would see circuitry, wires, and a digital face and think crude detonation device, even if they didn't see explosives. Being able to examine the object and talk to the creator makes a lot of difference. Like I said before, if this were in an airport garbage can or stashed under a seat somewhere I'd feel differently about it than if I was in a school and a kid was showing me his cool clock he made. Or if it was something my kid made with his dad in the garage...although in the latter case I'm not certain that explosives would not be involved at some point. :o

But, like I said, I have come to believe I'm the only non-EOD lay expert in this thread who would not, in a different context, raise an eyebrow at that clock.

I can imagine a scenario as a teacher where an at risk kid brings this in and there are clearly no explosives, but we are all concerned about school violence, so what if he comes back next week and it is something more and the teacher never said anything. All I'm saying is that I have some imagination about how the chain could have gotten started. It became ridiculous, but I'm sure every step taken was viewed as appropriate within the system as it exists.

• Like 1

An acquaintence on FB told me she understood the school official's point of view and that kid would be ok because he had an invite to see POTUS. But what if there hadn't been this internet uproar? I think the police and the school system were shamed into dropping the charges because of the uproar. What about the kid that isn't as photogenic or doesn't have a sister with a twitter account? I think he would still be detained.

Or the kid with aspie characteristics who sucks at social cues and communication?

• Like 9

OMG, I read diligently and resisted the urge to post before finishing. I made it all the way to PAGE FOUR before someone mentioned the lack of actual explosive materials. My faith in the hive is restored. Without explosives, or even 'hoax' explosives, he's, at best, made a "hoax timer." Since the thing appears to work, it can't even be that. All of you who sincerely believe that bombs are supposed to look like metal briefcases because you own a TV and have watched the Roadrunner are really part of the problem and not seeing it at all.

Erring on the side of safety would look like an evacuation. This is just racism in all it's community-supported glory. I am an optimist though. This could turn into the best thing to ever happen to this kid and be his golden ticket out of that particular village.

• Like 22

But, like I said, I have come to believe I'm the only non-EOD lay expert in this thread who would not, in a different context, raise an eyebrow at that clock.

Why do people keep making excuses for THIS situation based on different context? Different context don't matter. There is only THIS context. This kid did not do anything even a little bit suspicious other than have basic knowledge of how to make a clock. Yes, of course, if he was leaving ticking timers hidden in suitcases on planes or under subway bus seats, then of course someone should investigate that very seriously. Which has absolutely NOTHING to do with this boy or his clock. Unless some here are seriously suggesting that all kids should be presumed international terrorist if they take a robotics or shop class and the police called anytime they use what they have learned to make basic things we all have in our homes. Because terrorist.

I can imagine a scenario as a teacher where an at risk kid brings this in and there are clearly no explosives, but we are all concerned about school violence, so what if he comes back next week and it is something more and the teacher never said anything. All I'm saying is that I have some imagination about how the chain could have gotten started. It became ridiculous, but I'm sure every step taken was viewed as appropriate within the system as it exists.

This kid showed no signs that we are aware of of being "at risk". Not according to the school, who I bet would absolutely be drumming up anything they possibly could on him to make themselves look better, and not the police, who I bet the same thing.

The only reasons any of this makes a single lick of sense is if it is predicated on at least one of two things:

Dark skinned boys are at risk of killing their peers

All electronics are potential bombs

Thus if a dark skinned boy makes a digital clock, one should call the police.

That young man was not at risk until the morons running his school and police department put him at risk.

Like I wrote previously. If we could at least try to not create recruit candidates for our political enemies, that'd be great.

• Like 32

I guess I don't read a lot of real bomb picture books. At least I can't think of the last one I read. ;)

Perhaps "suspicious device" is too general and people just don't think beyond "I don't know what this is".

I don't think the cops should have been called in this case. I think it was dumb on the part of the administration. But, it's not that odd to me that people would see circuitry, wires, and a digital face and think crude detonation device, even if they didn't see explosives. Being able to examine the object and talk to the creator makes a lot of difference. Like I said before, if this were in an airport garbage can or stashed under a seat somewhere I'd feel differently about it than if I was in a school and a kid was showing me his cool clock he made. Or if it was something my kid made with his dad in the garage...although in the latter case I'm not certain that explosives would not be involved at some point. :o

What's an EOD?

• Like 1

What's an EOD?

EOD stands for Explosive Ordnance Disposal. So essentially what people on bomb squads do.

I don't think anyone at all is claiming to be an expert in EOD here though. Still, I don't think pointing out that bombs require explosives or that wires and circuitry are not, on their own, explosive is claiming any EOD expertise. I'm the first to admit that I am not at all a scientist.

• Like 7

What's an EOD?

Well it means explosive ordinance disposal...

Which means she also doesn't know how to use that acronym in a sentence properly.

Because there was nothing to disarm. We do not need to be particuliarly educated to know that bombs need explosives and we can know that fact without also knowing how to properly and safely disarm explosives.

• Like 5

EOD stands for Exolosive Ordnance Disposal. So essentially what people on bomb squads do.

I don't think anyone at all is claiming to be an expert in EOD here though. Still, I don't think pointing out that bombs require explosives or that wires and circuitry are not, on their own, explosive is claiming any EOD expertise. I'm the first to admit that I am not at all a scientist.

No kidding. Me either.

It is very disconcerting to think that people really do think it takes an "expert" of any level to know this. No. It doesn't.

• Like 2

Which means she also doesn't know how to use that acronym in a sentence properly.

Because there was nothing to disarm. We do not need to be particuliarly educated to know that bombs need explosives and we can know that fact without also knowing how to properly and safely disarm explosives.

The sentence made sense. An EOD savvy person wouldn't have made the mistake of mislabeling a clock as a bomb. My brain just meandered and wondered if it was some version of IED and then it got stuck on text talk because my brain is apparently drinking even though my body has been dry for a month.

Just saw the photo. Looks more like a bomb than a clock to me. I could care less who made it. Safety first.

I would have actually had sympathy for the teacher if she had immediately started school evacuation procedures. But, it isn't "safety first" if you stick it in your desk. You are admitting by sticking it in yoru desk drawer that you know for sure it isn't a bomb.

There are only two options:

Teacher knew it wasn't going to explode.

Teacher thought it might blow up the school and did nothing about it.

• Like 20

OMG, I read diligently and resisted the urge to post before finishing. I made it all the way to PAGE FOUR before someone mentioned the lack of actual explosive materials. My faith in the hive is restored. Without explosives, or even 'hoax' explosives, he's, at best, made a "hoax timer." Since the thing appears to work, it can't even be that. All of you who sincerely believe that bombs are supposed to look like metal briefcases because you own a TV and have watched the Roadrunner are really part of the problem and not seeing it at all.

Erring on the side of safety would look like an evacuation. This is just racism in all it's community-supported glory. I am an optimist though. This could turn into the best thing to ever happen to this kid and be his golden ticket out of that particular village.

Hey now. I mentioned back on page one that those circuit boards weren't going to do much exploding withing something a little more boom-y in there.

• Like 7

Why do people keep making excuses for THIS situation based on different context? Different context don't matter. There is only THIS context.

I'm not making excuses. I'm just chatting about the thing. I believe I said multiple times in my posts that what happened in this case should not have happened. Was ridiculous, brainless, etc. You conveniently left all that out in order to go on a tirade about speculation on my part, interestingly making up a whole bunch of things I did not say and do not think.

Good grief, I was not aware that discussion couldn't diverge at all. In that case, what more is there to talk about? Shouldn't have happened. Did happen. Was incredibly stupid.

For what it's worth, the people I was thinking of when I think of bombs and school violence are the Kleibolds(?) and any precautions (however ridiculous) that teachers take I would assume would be a result of something like Columbine or Newtown, not terrorism.

• Like 2

This thread reminded me of an incredibly naive thing I did in high school. An assignment in English class: make a fake newspaper or magazine. Mine was called Class Act. I used people from class as the characters in my spoof stories. The main story was about a terrorist at our school. He was middle eastern. :doh: The reason I chose him was because he was the LEAST likely person to do something like that.

I cringe when I think about it and I hope my teacher destroyed it. Yikes! And to M.Z., I apologize.

• Like 1

EOD stands for Exolosive Ordnance Disposal. So essentially what people on bomb squads do.

Perhaps she didn't believe it was a clock but knew it wasn't a bomb (because, no explosives), so she stashed and reported it and kept it from him.

Or maybe she just wanted an excuse to get the kid in trouble because she didn't like him and it escalated beyond her control.

Maybe she hated brown kids with the name Ahmed and took her opportunity.

But for all my apparent stupidity about what may or may not look suspicious to any given person (thanks for the pile on, by the way, it's very clear that I'm an idiot for not knowing what a home made clock looks like, or what a detonator might look like) I have seen enough reports of zero tolerance stupidity to know that this isn't an isolated incident that only happens to Muslims or minorities. It is a big problem in the schools in general. Don't draw guns, don't make finger guns, certainly don't make pop tart guns, don't give your pms'img friend a Motrin, don't kiss a fellow kindergartener on the playground...because the book will be thrown at you regardless of the circumstances.

An acquaintence on FB told me she understood the school official's point of view and that kid would be ok because he had an invite to see POTUS. But what if there hadn't been this internet uproar? 

Meeting the POTUS and the Silicon Valley Greats is really cool. But, it it were me, none of that would ever make up for being handcuffed and paraded in front of my classmates when I did nothing wrong and I would be emotionally scarred for life and my self-esteem would be shattered by what the cops did. I would be scared and be looking behind my shoulder for life to see if anyone called the cops on me for doing something that was ordinary to me and not in the least bit nefarious. And if it were me, I would be very angry about it :cursing:  :mad: and not be nice like that kid.

Seeing the POTUS does not right the wrong that has been done to an impressionable and smart teen.

• Like 12

I wonder if this whole thing had more to do with him stating, "They don't know what I'm capable of," being more the threat than the electronics.  Did the adults in the situation see that statement as a vague threat, and the completely innocent kid think Of course I can make a clock.  These teachers are idiots ?

• Like 1

Meeting the POTUS and the Silicon Valley Greats is really cool. But, it it were me, none of that would ever make up for being handcuffed and paraded in front of my classmates when I did nothing wrong and I would be emotionally scarred for life and my self-esteem would be shattered by what the cops did. I would be scared and be looking behind my shoulder for life to see if anyone called the cops on me for doing something that was ordinary to me and not in the least bit nefarious. And if it were me, I would be very angry about it :cursing:  :mad: and not be nice like that kid.

Seeing the POTUS does not right the wrong that has been done to an impressionable and smart teen.

I don't know.  It could also go the other way.  He could be the coolest kid in school now.  He's got people in the tech industry looking at him in a favorable way.   Pretty sure he's not going to have to be embarrassed to go back to school.

It's really hard to know how people will react to something like this.  Angry?  Scarred for life?  Cynical?  Maybe, maybe not. 

I wish him well. I suspect he has a bright future.

This story made me furious because I have a kid like this who was always making things.  He's now a very successful electrical engineer. When I shared this story with him, he replied, "I'm sure plenty of the projects that I made at home when I was in school would fall under prohibited items." Fortunately, his name is not Ahmed and he didn't take them to school.

• Like 1

Yeah, your son is the east coast cell and mine is the west coast cell of The Nerdy Homeschoolers Liberation Front. I'm sure there are many, many other affiliates. I think robotics was one of the first summer challenge classes to fill up where my son took it. I had to register him first thing in the morning the first day it was open to get his spot and he had to select 2 back up choices (Astrophysics and Plant Biology) because they book up fast. Lots of kids love electronics.

When Radio Shack went out of business, my son went to town on 90% off bits and bobbles for his burgeoning collection.

If I could give multiple likes I would... I want to join the front, and you get a like for managing the alliteration of burgeoning bits and bobbles in a sentence😊

• Like 1

Bombs require explosives and someplace to put the explosives. This clock had no pipe, no sticks of dynamite, no bottle or place to put explosives or anything else that should cause a reasonable person any alarm. It's a bit of circuitry and a simple number display. What exactly do we think bombs look like? My son makes and programs a lot of stuff. He doesn't have decorative little cases to encase everything his makes.

Also it has a plug. I don't know much about bombs but I'm pretty sure most don't need to be plugged in. 

No kidding.  Not to mention, I have the picture up.  I'm looking really hard and I have to say:

1. Where are the explosives?  They do realize bombs need something besides a timer a la action movie, right?  And even then-what's going to blow up: the polyester meeting the aluminum casing? LOL

2. COPS know what a bomb looks like, right?  Aren't they trained in at least basic knowledge that a circuit board and wiring you can use to make a battery powered crappy flashlight are not actually what makes up a bomb

Really? Have you ever even seen a picture of an actual bomb that was not from a tv show?

Yep. The teacher can almost be given a pass if she hadn't kept it for hours before turning it in, and if he hadn't repeatedly told her it's a clock.  But the cops? Does anyone else think the police shouldn't be learning what a bomb looks like from action movies and tv shows? 

• Like 5

Also it has a plug. I don't know much about bombs but I'm pretty sure most don't need to be plugged in. 

Yep. The teacher can almost be given a pass if she hadn't kept it for hours before turning it in, and if he hadn't repeatedly told her it's a clock.  But the cops? Does anyone else think the police shouldn't be learning what a bomb looks like from action movies and tv shows? 

I just keep thinking, there is an engineering class. With an engineering teacher. Why not call him in to say what it is or isn't? Heck, the janitor probably could have!

If I was a parent in that room I would have started ripping apart their electronics to show them the circuit boards and wires. Not saying that is the right thing to do, it isn't, but it would have been my reaction. 

• Like 4

Why do people keep making excuses for THIS situation based on different context? Different context don't matter. There is only THIS context. This kid did not do anything even a little bit suspicious other than have basic knowledge of how to make a clock. Yes, of course, if he was leaving ticking timers hidden in suitcases on planes or under subway bus seats, then of course someone should investigate that very seriously. Which has absolutely NOTHING to do with this boy or his clock. Unless some here are seriously suggesting that all kids should be presumed international terrorist if they take a robotics or shop class and the police called anytime they use what they have learned to make basic things we all have in our homes. Because terrorist.

This kid showed no signs that we are aware of of being "at risk". Not according to the school, who I bet would absolutely be drumming up anything they possibly could on him to make themselves look better, and not the police, who I bet the same thing.

The only reasons any of this makes a single lick of sense is if it is predicated on at least one of two things:

Dark skinned boys are at risk of killing their peers

All electronics are potential bombs

Thus if a dark skinned boy makes a digital clock, one should call the police.

That young man was not at risk until the morons running his school and police department put him at risk.

Like I wrote previously. If we could at least try to not create recruit candidates for our political enemies, that'd be great.

I'm out of likes.  :cursing:   So I just want to give a big  :iagree:  :iagree:

• Like 1

That's kind of where I'm at--I would feel a lot differently about the whole thing if the teacher had sincerely thought the clock was a bomb, freaked out, evacuated the school, etc.  Still maybe stupid? Sure. But you can forgive a stupid mistake if she truly thought lives were in danger. 

But she didn't think it was a bomb. She kept the thing for hours. And the kid never gave any indication he was using the clock as a hoax bomb. There's the rub.  

• Like 15

One of the projects listed in that article was an actual inert bomb.  :huh:  Apparently it was ok because the kid had teacher approval. Neither were disciplined at all. (see edit)

Uh, ok, I can see not disciplining the kid, but the teacher? Because what adult trusted with the care of children doesn't know it's not ok to teach kids how to mix diesel and fertilizer in a tube and bring it to school?!  

Edited: I missed the bit in the title that the teacher was actually suspended. I am still, of course, shocked that the teacher thought this was somehow ok in the first place. 

• Like 1

One of the projects listed in that article was an actual inert bomb.  :huh:  Apparently it was ok because the kid had teacher approval. Neither were disciplined at all. 

Uh, ok, I can see not disciplining the kid, but the teacher? Because what adult trusted with the care of children doesn't know it's not ok to teach kids how to mix diesel and fertilizer in a tube and bring it to school?!  

The article said that the teacher was disciplined.  The bolded heading for that section says that the teacher was suspended.

• Like 1

One of the projects listed in that article was an actual inert bomb.  :huh:  Apparently it was ok because the kid had teacher approval. Neither were disciplined at all. 

Actually the teacher was placed on paid leave.  Here's the linked source article on that story:  http://www.nytimes.com/2002/01/18/us/inert-bomb-at-a-science-fair-raises-interest-of-authorities.html

• Like 1

The article said that the teacher was disciplined.  The bolded heading for that section says that the teacher was suspended.

Actually the teacher was placed on paid leave.  Here's the linked source article on that story:  http://www.nytimes.com/2002/01/18/us/inert-bomb-at-a-science-fair-raises-interest-of-authorities.html

Ah, ok, thank you! I can't read this morning! Maybe I should take the day off...  :laugh:

If I could give multiple likes I would... I want to join the front, and you get a like for managing the alliteration of burgeoning bits and bobbles in a sentence😊

I wanted to like this too, but in the end the fact that it is "bits and baubles" and not "bits and bobbles" prevented me.

As for the story of the OP, I have nothing to add that hasn't been said. This story makes me feel like I am in an alternate universe.

• Like 1

I wanted to like this too, but in the end the fact that it is "bits and baubles" and not "bits and bobbles" prevented me.

As for the story of the OP, I have nothing to add that hasn't been said. This story makes me feel like I am in an alternate universe.

Ugh:)

I am blaming it on the baby waking up at 4:30 am, and a serious lack of tea (of the imbibed variety!)

Yes, there are no explosives connected to the clock.  But, but, but.... what if it was a remote controller?!?  :lol:  :laugh:  :w00t:

• Like 2

Seriously. This. Anyone who thinks that clock looks like a bomb needs to turn off the spy shows for a bit. Any teacher who not only thinks it looks like a bomb, but thinks it's a good idea to hang onto a "bomb" for several hours before reporting it needs to turn off the TV forever. And find another line of work.

Well, let's not be too hard on her. She probably knew that all she needed to do if it started ticking in her desk was snip the red wire. Duh.

• Like 21

That's kind of where I'm at--I would feel a lot differently about the whole thing if the teacher had sincerely thought the clock was a bomb, freaked out, evacuated the school, etc.  Still maybe stupid? Sure. But you can forgive a stupid mistake if she truly thought lives were in danger. 

But she didn't think it was a bomb. She kept the thing for hours. And the kid never gave any indication he was using the clock as a hoax bomb. There's the rub.  

:iagree:

I don't think anyone at the school, including the English teacher who reported it, ever thought it was actually a bomb. According to Ahmed, the teacher said "it looks like a bomb" and he replied that he didn't think it looked like a bomb. He also said that one of the policemen told him "it looks like a movie bomb." I think the English teacher thought that Ahmed intended it to look like a bomb, and was being a smart-ass by claiming it was just a clock and denying it looked like a bomb.

The fact that the police say they arrested him because he would only say it was a clock, and wouldn't elaborate or explain it further (as if there was more to explain), also suggests that they thought he was being a smart-ass by not agreeing that it looked like a bomb and admitting that he brought it to scare people. He says the principal threatened him with expulsion if he didn't cooperate by signing a written statement (with no lawyer or parent present???). 

I think they were all irked that he was simply stating the fact that it was a clock and asking for his parents, instead of cowering, "admitting" it was a hoax, and signing whatever they put in front of him. So they decided to teach this smart-ass Muslim boy a lesson by arresting him, booking him, fingerprinting him, refusing to let him call his parents, etc., thinking that would scare the crap out of him and teach him some respect for authority. 

Fortunately, thanks to social media, the rest of the world decided to teach him a better lesson.

• Like 34