Menu

Beginning latin recommendation

LEK

I will finally be getting around to starting latin with dd at the start of her 5th grade year. I do not have any latin at all (nor does dh).

I am in the beginning stages of researching curricula and after recommendations. If money was not an issue what latin program would you recommend for a 10yo with no latin experience at all?

Also, any recommendations for myself? I am sure it will be easier for me to teach her if I am not completely clueless lol

TIA

Memoria Press' Latina Christiana would be my recommendation. It is a gentle but thorough introduction of Latin. I had no previous knowledge of Latin and was able to learn right along with my kids. The teacher's guide is invaluable. I didn't use the DVD's that come with it. I felt like I needed to wrestle with the material myself. The audio CD was very helpful, though.

I second the recommendation for Latina Christiana. We are using it this year and I'm really pleased with the progress my daughter has made. It's impressive how much vocabulary is covered as well as grammar -- she's also learning and reinforcing English grammar during the lessons.

We use the DVD for instruction. I've been really pleased with the lessons on the DVD, and it gives me a sense of comfort knowing that the material has been covered without any gaps. I have no prior Latin exposure and wouldn't feel comfortable just using a book, although others have had success with the approach. Leigh Lowe (the instructor on the DVD) is very enthusiastic, gives great memory tips, and progresses at a pace that works well for my daughter. Her warmth is engaging -- you can tell she's worked for years with children and really enjoys it.

Latin Prep would work for you to learn alongside her.  It's clear and rigorous.  Just make sure that you learn the grammar as you go along (chant it or however you want) as it builds.  You can buy it in the US from horriblebooks.com, or with free shipping from the UK at bookdepository.co.uk

The only reason I see for not starting slow and steady with GSWL would be if you want your dd to get to a certain level before the end of high school. For instance, to take the AP test in 10th you might want to dive right in to a longer ranging curriculum.

Our experience was that a nice year spent with GSWL and additional English-to-Latin exercises really out us in good shape to start Lively Latin.

I LOVE MP First Form Latin and above.  I can only imagine that Latina Christiana is also great and wonderful preparation.  I really believe that Memoria Press does Latin extremely well!!! 

I had no Latin experience, either, before doing First Form Latin alongside my dc and we all progressed so well that two years later I was able to lead a Latin Study Group to other Moms and dc using the First & Second Form Latin materials and watch them do exceedingly well!  :)

Brenda

Lively Latin is a big hit around here.

ETA: I think it's fine for a parent who doesn't have any Latin experience, too. I had tried going through Wheelock's on my own prior to starting LL with DD, but only got through the first few chapters. Mainly I think you just have to remind the child that the chants she's learning now will be used for things she'll learn later, even if you're not sure what those things are.

I use MP's Latin stuff, but you can't beat Getting Started with Latin.

Yes, it is less expensive, but it is REALLY good. The biggest problem with it is always, "what do I do next" because it is such a great program & there isn't a follow-up (yet) written in the same manner. It sets a great foundation to moving onto a middle school or high school Latin program (Henle, Wheelocks, Latin Alive, etc.).

LC is kinda dry, but very incremental & will be a fine alternative if that is what you choose.

I'm going to add another one, The Great Latin Adventure.  I have no latin either and am learning along with my ds.   We did GSWL (4th grade) and it was good.  But then what?  It was just a start.  Then we tried Latin prep last year and that was very slow going.  So we are attacking again this year with a different curriculum.  We've only just started but even the beginning is taught so thoroughly and painlessly, I wish I had found it last year.  The teacher book helps you to teach the student (and yourself).  The exercises for the student are to the point and hammer the lesson home.  Again, we have only started but we are both excited again - for latin!  And the price is reasonable.  And the author can be reached in these forums.  Please take a look.

http://www.classicallegacypress.com/latin.htm

For that age I would recommend Latina Christiana, but First Form Latin (also by Memoria Press) would also be an option.  They are both beginner programs, with FFL intended for 5th grade and above.  Honestly, I don't think its all that much harder than LC.  It does require more grammar, so you would need to take that into account.  The DVDs for FFL are much better than the ones for LC.

I'm going to add another one, The Great Latin Adventure. I have no latin either and am learning along with my ds. We did GSWL (4th grade) and it was good. But then what? It was just a start. Then we tried Latin prep last year and that was very slow going. So we are attacking again this year with a different curriculum. We've only just started but even the beginning is taught so thoroughly and painlessly, I wish I had found it last year. The teacher book helps you to teach the student (and yourself). The exercises for the student are to the point and hammer the lesson home. Again, we have only started but we are both excited again - for latin! And the price is reasonable. And the author can be reached in these forums. Please take a look.

http://www.classicallegacypress.com/latin.htm

That is the one i meant.

Latina Christiana (did it last year for 6th...wish we had started in 4th or 5th), or First Form (but I haven't used it; we are now using Visual Latin which I like but wouldn't recommend as the first exposure).  LC was perfect for us -- very doable and made dd and me both love Latin and want to continue.  I highly recommend the Videos.  I couldn't have taught it without them.

I am using Getting Started with Latin this year with my 6th and 3rd graders. It's perfect.

It really IS perfect.  

And my husband, who teaches A.P Latin, agrees.

My ds, who is now almost 10, reads Latin beautifully, and I mean BEAUTIFULLY with it.  So awesome. When I'm feeling down about how little we are accomplishing in any given day, I remind myself that we finished GSWL.  

Boom.  Confidence boosted. :)

• Like 1