Menu

Got an Audible.com credit looking for a good non-fiction book

PrincessMommy

I've been listening to fluffy mysteries lately and I'm in the mood for something a little more meaty and true to life.   

I'd love suggestions for some good non-fiction from audible.

Already listened to and enjoyed in the past:

E=MC2: A Biography of the World's most Famous Equation

Unbroken

Plato's Apology of Socrates

Wordy Shipmates

Losing Mum & Pup

• Like 1

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride (not serious, just fun)

Boardwalk Empire - It's not like the show. The show only covers a few chapters in this history of Atlantic City

Infidel - I haven't read this one

Into Thin Air - tragedy on Mount Everest 

I don't know if all of the above are available on audible, but I read them recently and found them each interesting (except Infidel which is on my to-read list).

• Like 2

DS loved the E=mC2 audiobook, and he also loved A Short History of Nearly Everything.

He is listening to Sapiens at the moment, but that may not be your cup of tea, depending on your thoughts re: evolution.

He also loved Neil de Grasse Tyson's Inexplicable Universe, from Great Courses.

Oh! And another great listen, according to him, is Joy Hakim's History series. He listens for fun. :)

All of those have been absolutely credit-worthy.

• Like 1

The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman

I read it, but the audio sounds pleasant.

It falls under cultural anthropology, and is a fascinating story about the conflict that arises between Western medicine and Hmong beliefs in the treatment of a child with epilepsy.

• Like 1

Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing. Fascinating true story of a South Pole expedition gone terribly wrong. Every single crew member manages to survive through the truly amazing efforts of the crew. I was GLUED to this book until I finished it.

Loved that one.

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride (not serious, just fun)

Boardwalk Empire - It's not like the show. The show only covers a few chapters in this history of Atlantic City

Infidel - I haven't read this one

Into Thin Air - tragedy on Mount Everest 

I don't know if all of the above are available on audible, but I read them recently and found them each interesting (except Infidel which is on my to-read list).

I was about to suggest 3 of these!  Infidel is a really good, thought-provoking and controversial book.  The Immortal Life is one of my very favorite books.  And Into Thin Air is also good.  

Good non-fiction I've listened to or read recently:

The Stranger Beside Me by Ann Rule.

Not In My Neighborhood by Antero Pietila.  Interesting history of housing segregation-timely

Mindsight by Daniel Siegel-Interesting psychology

• Like 3

I'm listening to My Promised Land: The Triumph and Tragedy of Israel by Ari Shavit.  I didn't really know anything about modern day Israel before starting the book and I'm learning a lot.  The history is fascinating and it's very well written.  The narrator is really good, too.

Before that, I listened to Paris 1919 by Margaret MacMillan - again, fascinating history and very well written.  

And I loved Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking.

• Like 2

I don't know how these are on audio, but a couple that are on my list:

The Wright Brothers by David McCullough (also the narrator)--dh is really enjoying this in print

The Billion Dollar Spy by David E. Hoffman--I heard an interview with the author on Stuff You Missed in History podcast and it sounded like a fascinating story

• Like 1