Menu

Taking AMC as a homeschooler

Staceyshoe

I can't find any local schools willing to let ds1 sit to take the AMC8.  AMC changed their policy regarding homeschooling venues in the past year or two, making it more difficult.  I've heard through the grapevine that some homeschooling groups have been able to get approval to proctor the exam.  Has anyone been through this process?  I thought about trying to get my ds2's homeschool hybrid program to offer it to homeschoolers, but I don't know what kind of hoops we would be required to jump through.  If you know more about this process, I would love to hear about it!

We did this 3 years ago for the AMC 8.

We had the youth minister at our church proctor the exam. All the material had to be mailed to him and we couldn't touch it. In the past it was acceptable to have other proctors such as math professors, librarians, ministers and the exam had to be at a public location.

Now for the AMC 10/12, it is sponsored by a local university and my son takes it there. The university professor has gone out of her way to proctor on the second date (just for my son) as well as proctor the AIME for him alone.

I've never tried to get our homeschool group or math club to proctor it as "I" can't be involved as the parent of a student taking the exam.

• Like 2

Our librarian proctors the exam for us.  

Has this been within the past year or two?  My understanding is that they changed the language on the registration form recently which makes it more difficult for homeschoolers.  It now reads "Please keep in mind that this is a school-based competition;  learning centers, parents, or students cannot register.  We reserve the right to decline registration."  It also requires a 6-digit school identification code.  It will be very encouraging to me if you have done this through the library since those changes!  Several homeschoolers in our city have called long lists of schools and not received permission for their children to take the test at the school, so I'm trying to figure out what other options we have.

Has this been within the past year or two?  My understanding is that they changed the language on the registration form recently which makes it more difficult for homeschoolers.  

Yes, and as was mentioned by a PP, the exams go directly to the librarian, not to the parent.  You do need to obtain special permission as a homeschooler, but once you've been approved, you're good to go.  I'm not happy about the extra hoops, and consider myself lucky that we have come to know a very nice librarian.  

• Like 1

Has this been within the past year or two?  My understanding is that they changed the language on the registration form recently which makes it more difficult for homeschoolers.  

Yes, and as was mentioned by a PP, the exams go directly to the librarian, not to the parent.  You do need to obtain special permission as a homeschooler, but once you've been approved, you're good to go.  I'm not happy about the extra hoops, and consider myself lucky that we have come to know a very nice librarian.  

Oh, this is good news indeed!  If all that is needed for approval is to send the tests to another party and have a non-relative proctor, then that can very easily be accomplished through our hybrid program.  (Since it's not an accredited school, I didn't know if it would meet their requirements or not.)  I'm so encouraged!!  I'll contact the school and see if it is something they are willing to provide.

We're already involved in the only local math circle for kids.  The leader said that she doesn't plan to administer the exam.  Perhaps that will change in future years since it's a fairly new program.  I would expect that other participants in the math circle are likely to be interested in the AMC.  Thanks for mentioning it! 

• Like 1