Menu

Please. Stop. Talking.

fairfarmhand

DH and I are both introverts who somehow ended up with 3 extroverts. It is exhausting. DD5 is never quiet, always humming, talking, or singing. She is also very loud. We actually had her hearing tested recently but nope, she's just loud.

DS is deaf and when he first got his hearing aids and later cochlear implant we were told to talk, talk, talk to him. We were supposed to narrate everything. That left me wiped out.

Well, I will add a sprinkle of hope, too. I had a whistle when mine were little because they literally could not hear me trying to get their attention since they were all three talking. One little whistle, and they all looked at me or came running. Car rides were bad (counting, talking, etc. on 12-hour trips). There was a time when I felt like I was about to lose it from all the noise.

But mine are now 20, 18 and 15, and the 20 year old lives across the country. Somewhere in the transformation from little and chatty to young adults, the constant talking stopped. We actually have conversations now, and when we all get together, there is lots of laughter and happy sharing...with healthy quiet too.

Just wanted to throw that out there in case it encourages anyone! :)

• Like 1

I'm an introverted only child in a family of talkative people.

Even my son with autism is very talkative - lots of scripting and nonsensical chatter, but talking nonetheless.

I always wanted a bigger family than the one I grew up in.

I said I would never complain if my son began to talk.

Be careful what you wish for.

• Like 1

I have an extreme talker. I wouldn't even classify myself as an introvert...may a mesovert? Okay. So I made that up, but she.never.stops.

Even reading. I have mentioned that she could read silently, especially since she read at least a couple of hours everyday. She actually said, 'no thanks mom, I LIKE the sound of my own voice!'

We did have to intitute a Talking Zone rule to ensure I would

At least get caffeine prior to the aural

Attack!

Yes, we have a "No talking to Mom until her second cup of coffee" rule.  I milk that first cup for all it's worth ;)

• Like 2

I always knew that talking exhausted me. It wasn't until I had kids that I understood how exhausting listening is...

"Right Mom?"

"Don't you think, Mom?"

"Hey Mom, what about this?

"Hey Mom, what if I?"

"Hey Mom, what do you think about this...?"

"Hey Mom, do you like this...?"

Over and over again, all day long. Every thought they have, every decision they make, everything they do, every minute detail that flits across their crazy little minds requires some sort of response from me.

Sometimes I just have to tell them that I can't hear them anymore. My ears are exhausted. And, yes, I am not really listening anymore. I stopped about 3 hours ago.

Extreme introvert here :)

• Like 3

I would like to add, as a slight spin-off of this, a phenomena often witness in my home wherein the child assumes that if no one is laughing at his joke, he just must not have said it loudly enough.

Child: *Joke that makes no sense and is half made up gibberish words.*
Everyone else: ".... so, how was work today?"
Child: *same joke,twice as loud*
Everyone else: "Work was pretty busy, how about-"
Child, interrupting: *same joke, twice as loud and right in your face*

Oh, honey... we all heard you the first time. It's just no one thought it was funny.

Disclaimer: We usually do the obligatroy half-hearted laugh after the first time, and we try not to crush his spirits by telling him how completely not amusing the nonsense is... but by "joke" #15, NO ONE CARES ANYMORE, SON. We've tried to explain the concepts of not bogging the conversation, not interrupting, tried to explain why complete gibberish and nonsense isn't appropriate conversation, but apparently he cares about what we're saying as much as we care about his jokes. We don't want to crush his spirit... but dangit, if you're interrupting actual conversation to spew gibberish in people's faces for no reason, maybe that particular part of his spirit could stand for a little crushing every once in a while because STOP THAT.

Okay, I feel a bit better now.

• Like 3

. We don't want to crush his spirit... but dangit, if you're interrupting actual conversation to spew gibberish in people's faces for no reason, maybe that particular part of his spirit could stand for a little crushing every once in a while because STOP THAT.

Okay, I feel a bit better now.

Have you been to my house?

• Like 2

From the time I started reading this thread until I escaped to the bathroom my oldest was chatting away.

I married an extrovert. His genes are stronger than mine. They look like him and all (!) 4 are extroverts. Send help.

Dh doesn't mind quiet time, but in school his mom always heard, "he's so social," and, "he won't stop talking." All of them. ALL of them talk all the time. A few even talk in their sleep.

My mom (another fellow introvert) suggested I tell them they've reached their question limit for the day. Nice try. "Why?" "What does that mean?" "When can we ask more questions?" "What if we're hungry?" "What about the bathroom?" ?? Stop!

I love my children dearly. I always wanted to be a mom and I wouldn't give it up for anything. But they need to be quiet. Please.

Sigh. Time to leave the bathroom or they'll just come and start asking me what I'm do I doing. :-)

My mom (another fellow introvert) suggested I tell them they've reached their question limit for the day. Nice try. "Why?" "What does that mean?" "When can we ask more questions?" "What if we're hungry?" "What about the bathroom?" ?? Stop!

I LOVE this.  When we adopted our son at 7 1/2 years old he was like this.  One night I finally told him at bedtime, TWO more questions and then it was sleep time.  Question #2 was "Can I have more questions in the morning?"

• Like 1

Oh yes.  Another one who can relate here.  Two introverted parents, three introverted kids and one very extroverted 5 year old.  It's non stop.  Her brothers are always asking her to be quiet.  My ears physically hurt by the end of the day sometimes.  Right now my three older kids are in school so it's just me and the baby home during the day.  I love the quiet for those hours!