Menu

S/O Full Coverage Makeup...but Affordable

earthyfamily

Check YouTube for full-coverage, drugstore foundations. There are lots of options! Makeup Alley is also a great site.

I could desperately use some makeup help and I've watched a few youtube videos. How do all these teeny boppers know so much? And how much do they spend on make up and brushes? I watch a few and decide their products (and in the quantities they use them) are out of my price range.  :crying: I mean, this one girl in her "easy morning make up" routine put like 4 things on her eyebrows. I'm supposed to put stuff on my eyebrows? I give up.  :mellow:

• Like 5

That's why you have to subscribe to people who have your style. I like MsGoldGirl (she has gotten into really expensive stuff in the past year but her old stuff is good). I like Jam Beauty (she is a young teacher who loves drugstore stuff). I like Beauty Broadcast (who wears more makeup and false lashes than I will ever wear but she shops at the drug store). Realize that those girls get sent free stuff all the time; none of them are buying all that stuff and I bet most of them wear far less makeup in their off-screen lives.

• Like 2

I get completely overwhelmed with YouTube videos. No way. I want it in text. 

http://www.paulaschoice.com/beautypedia/is pretty good. Makeupalley is even better but it has a lot more conflicting info because it's user reviews, not an "expert opinion".

I use Lancome, and I actually this it is a good value because you use so little- it really lasts a long time.

But for minimal upfront costs .... I've heard very good things about L'Oreal True Match.

• Like 1

I haven't worn drugstore foundation in awhile but two options come to mind, L'Oreal used to have some really great foundations and if you are in a more urban area, I highly recommend looking for an Asian Beaty store like Nature Republic, Tony Moly, The Face Shop, Étude House, Holika Holika, Innisfree, and Missha. Having light skin will be a big plus if you go the Asian beauty route and their products are amazing. Check out a BB cream, they are different than American BB creams and are full coverage. The prices are very reasonable as well.

• Like 2

But for minimal upfront costs .... I've heard very good things about L'Oreal True Match.

This is actually what I use. But I could use some help with covering my dark under eye circles. And finishing an overall look. They overwhelm me with all their brushes and highlightng and contouring and I'm like "Can I get that look with just a compact makeup?" Lol.

Just want to be clear I was suggesting the Beautypedia reviews, not the Paula's Choice products. I'm too lazy to mail order makeup.....

Sephora has a machine where they take a pic of your skin in several different spots, then give you specific recommendations for what would match- brand and color.  It's marvelous.

For dark circles, I love Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Dark Circle eraser. It comes in several shades so it's pretty easy to find one that works for your skin.

I can't help with full coverage foundation since I don't use it but whenever I need makeup but don't really know what to try I go to Sephora and talk to them. They are great about letting you try out products and giving free samples. If you buy a product and end up not liking it they will let you return it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I LOVE watching youtube makeup tutorials...but yeah I always seem to end up on the ones with products that cost a ton.  So I'll look for some with drugstore brands and check out the ones mentioned.  Lately I've really wanted to get a foundation brush...I think they're supposed to help with fuller coverage.

And now I totally want to go to Sephora.  I wish Ulta did something like that...I have one of those much closer to me.

I LOVE watching youtube makeup tutorials...but yeah I always seem to end up on the ones with products that cost a ton. So I'll look for some with drugstore brands and check out the ones mentioned. Lately I've really wanted to get a foundation brush...I think they're supposed to help with fuller coverage.

And now I totally want to go to Sephora. I wish Ulta did something like that...I have one of those much closer to me.

If you see something that interests you, you can search pinterest for dupes. There are almost always dupes for popular products.

I have very pale skin. Think of the palest person you know and go 2-3 shades lighter.

Foundation is hard, but if you just want to focus on dark circles I use a Merle Norman concealer. It's in a little black tube with a silver cap - sorry I don't remember the name. But it's fantastic. It was $14, but a tiny bit goes a long way.

• Like 1

I have very pale skin. Think of the palest person you know and go 2-3 shades lighter.

Foundation is hard, but if you just want to focus on dark circles I use a Merle Norman concealer. It's in a little black tube with a silver cap - sorry I don't remember the name. But it's fantastic. It was $14, but a tiny bit goes a long way.

Mine is pretty much see through in areas.  So, I understand.  I still breakout a lot and have a bit of scarring...so I do need a good concealer as well.

I used to love Hard Candy when I was a teenager. I'll have to see if they have shades that are light enough for me. I tried Flower foundation from Walmart and the colour and coverage were great, but it made me breakout really badly. :(

Something I read--it is harder to completely wash off a full coverage foundation so they can cause break-outs. If you want to try it again, do two washes at night--maybe an oil cleaner and then a foaming cleaner?

If you want inexpensive, I really suggest you try Rimmel's Stay Matte "liquid mousse foundation".  I'm pretty sure I got it based on Paula's Beautypedia review and I am sold on it.  Now, I do not use it exclusively; I add a dab of tinted moisturizer to my sponge with a little squirt of the Rimmel and it's perfect.  I think the Light Ivory is pretty pale and that's another reason I pair it with something else because it's too light alone for me.  (There is one lighter than that, too, called Light Porcelain that might work for you.)

You can see how light it goes on their site!  http://us.rimmellondon.com/products/face/stay-matte-liquid-mousse-foundation

I just went to Ulta on a recommendation of a friend. Boy was I happy! The gals there have a lot of experience and training. They evaluated my skin type and issues, listened to my needs, and made recommendatio s within my price range. They also applied numerous products so I could see the results of each one, and gave me application tips.

Due to age spots and skin tone, I needed a full coverage foundation but was worried about it looking heavy and clinging to the little wrinkles here and there that are developing. They said the first problem at my age when skin is not smooth like it used to be is putting on foundatikn with fingers or a sponge. They applied the new one with a brush and the results were amazing....just so much better.

I did spend a fair amount though there were absolutely less expensive, acceptable options. I just really liked the first foundation they recommended better than the others, plus the pore hiding transluscent setting powder that does not cake up and cling to wrinkles, and splurged for a really good brush.

Since I do not wear make up everyday, the products will last a year and the brush much longer. I signed up for their rewards so I have a $10.00 off a purchase coupon in my email and just received a $3.50 off $10.00 so guess who is going to go spend at least $13.50 this week and get it free!

• Like 4

Any thoughts on a full coverage makeup that's affordable?  I have incredibly light skin and needs to be good for acne prone skin.

Acne can have many different causes, so what's good for one person's acne-prone skin won't necessarily be good for another's. Ulta sells both drugstore and high-end products, and they have a great return policy on products that you try and don't like, so you can go through a lot of trial and error without losing money.

I'm also extremely fair, and can't wear the lightest shades sold in the US in any drugstore brands. If you're in the same boat, try MAC Face & Body's white foundation. You mix it with other foundations to create your perfect shade, and while the bottle itself is expensive at the outset, it lasts forever and is actually cheaper per oz than most drugstore foundations, anyway. I've mixed it with Revlon Colorstay, which is a great full coverage drugstore foundation. I recommend mixing a small amount on something exposed to air, and let it oxidize. If it's still the right color for you, then mix a larger amount in a bottle in the same ratio you used before. After you've used it a few times, you'll know for sure whether you need to tweak your ratio, and then you can mix the full amount in the bottle. Another nice thing is that you can keep adjusting on the fly if your shade changes with the seasons.

For reference, I ended up with a ratio of 2-3 parts white to 1 part of the lightest Colorstay shade.

• Like 2

I went with Clinique. It is more expensive than drugstore makeup however I have rosacea and they have special products for that. I buy my skin care there, my foundation and my powder. They quite often give free samples of mascara/blush/eye shadow/perfume  and I use those samples instead of buying those products. Actually, I give the blush to my daughter and the Happy perfume samples I get. Their foundation is 27 dollars (redness solution) and lasts me about six months, the powder (rs) lasts me about a year. The skin care I purchase about twice a year. I prioritize my personal money and after my gym membership and my WW membership, I plan for my skincare and makeup, my hair and my nails.

• Like 1

If you want inexpensive, I really suggest you try Rimmel's Stay Matte "liquid mousse foundation".  I'm pretty sure I got it based on Paula's Beautypedia review and I am sold on it.  Now, I do not use it exclusively; I add a dab of tinted moisturizer to my sponge with a little squirt of the Rimmel and it's perfect.  I think the Light Ivory is pretty pale and that's another reason I pair it with something else because it's too light alone for me.  (There is one lighter than that, too, called Light Porcelain that might work for you.)

You can see how light it goes on their site!  http://us.rimmellondon.com/products/face/stay-matte-liquid-mousse-foundation

I use this too! I smooth it on with my finger as I need a little heavier coverage. It's an excellent product and a good match for fair skin.

• 2 weeks later...

Am going to go to Ulta and see what they can do for me I think.  The only bad part is having to go out without makeup on. :/

Did you have to make an appointment?

My dream would be to get a makeover from an actual makeup artist who isn't trying to sell me a specific brand.  That would be good times!

• Like 1