Menu

Jann in TX, Lial's Introductory Algebra question

Jann,

You have been so very helpful, I hope you do not mind another question.

I purchased, from Amazon, what I thought was a new student edition of the Lial's Introductory Algebra 9th edition.

ISBN-13: 978-0321557131

What I received is the Annointed Teachers Edition.

There are ISBN numbers inside the book I received however they are a bit confusing.

I am a bit hesitant to order another book until I have more information.

Do you have any suggestions that might help me make sure I am purchasing a new student edition?

Thank you so much for your time.

I purchased, from Amazon, what I thought was a new student edition of the Lial's Introductory Algebra 9th edition.

There are ISBN numbers inside the book I received however they are a bit confusing.

That is the ISBN for the student book. Did you buy it used? I would say the seller just had the wrong description. It happens. Start by contacting the seller. They may refund it without asking for it back. If not, you can go through Amazon, say you got the wrong item and they'll give you a postage paid sticker to put on the return.

Then just try again. Make sure you buy from a well rated seller.

• Like 1

Momto2Ns,

Thank you so much for responding to my post and for the information you provided.

It was listed as New and it was fulfilled by Amazon Prime. The merchant rating was very high.

I do not mind having the book I received, but I really need the student edition.

Guess I will try to email another seller and see if I can confirm that they actually have the Student Edition for sale??

This is the correct isbn for the 9th edition student text.  I just purchased a 9th edition student text a few weeks ago.

The seller might have had it mislabeled...  some CC students actually prefer to use the TE so they don't have to turn to the back for the answers AND they have answers to more problems (the evens)...

The TE is not a bad thing to have-- I liked having one so I did not have to share texts with my dd's when they needed help... 

The TE will list the isbns for the student text it corresponds to inside on one of the first pages.

The student text will have the isbn printed on the back cover in bottom right corner.

HTH

Jann,

Thank you for your response.

I have emailed a different seller to confirm what they are selling is actually a Student Edition.

Do you know if the Student Edition usually come with a CD? If so what is contained on it?

I also came across something called the " Loose Leaf Edition" do you have any experience with that edition?

I was accidentally sent a TE's this summer, too. I kept it. I spent about $10 for it, so it wasn't a big deal. I tried again and got a regular student edition. I think it's wonderful having the TE. So much easier to correct the math pages and we can do the evens, too, and be sure we're right. (Though I found two mistakes in the answers already and we're only in chpt 2.)

This doesn't answer your question, but it is probably a blessing in disguise that you got one, as long as they didn't charge you a boatload of money for it.

• Like 1

Do you know if the Student Edition usually come with a CD? If so what is contained on it?

I also came across something called the " Loose Leaf Edition" do you have any experience with that edition?

The 9e student edition is supposed to come with a Test Prep CD-- it contains worked out solutions to the chapter tests from the book.  It is possible for this to be missing if you purchase a used copy.

There are other supplements available-- isbn will be on back of student text (and most likely the TE as well).

(Though I found two mistakes in the answers already and we're only in chpt 2.)

Can you share the page and problem number of the errors-- I've used the 8th edition for years and have only found one in the Algebra 2 text-- none in the other levels...   I'm thinking about moving to the 9th or 10th edition next year...

Jann,

You have been so very helpful, I hope you do not mind another question.

I am a bit hesitant to order another book until I have more information.

Do you have any suggestions that might help me make sure I am purchasing a new student edition?

Tha same thing happened to me. I did end up getting the text book eventually but it made for a later start to the year. I did buy it used and the description was for the student text but I was glad to have the teachers edition so I kept it. 

Can you share the page and problem number of the errors-- I've used the 8th edition for years and have only found one in the Algebra 2 text-- none in the other levels... I'm thinking about moving to the 9th or 10th edition next year...

We've now found 4 errors so far and we're only on section 2.7. :( PLEASE tell me if I'm wrong somehow and I'm the one making the errors and not the book.

The first error we didn't keep track of so I don't have info on it.

Second error: pg 166. #59 Our answer was 384%. The book shows it as 284%.

Third error: pg 170. #32 Our answer was 138.3%. The book shows as 38.3%. This is an even because I have the teacher's edition which shows answers to odds and evens.

Fourth error: This one isn't a calculation error, but did confuse my son who ended up spending a lot of time pretending to graph things and creating long, drawn out inequalities.

Pg 177 #1-8. The book is supposed to graph variables on 8 number lines. The student is supposed to interpret the graph and create an expression that describes what they see on the graph. However, in our book, the number lines are empty. There is nothing graphed on the number lines to interpret. This looks more like a printing error than anything else, but still did waste a bunch of my son's time since he assumed the book was correct in leaving the graphs blank and he was supposed to fill them in somehow.

We've now found 4 errors so far and we're only on section 2.7. :( PLEASE tell me if I'm wrong somehow and I'm the one making the errors and not the book.

The first error we didn't keep track of so I don't have info on it.

Second error: pg 166. #59 Our answer was 384%. The book shows it as 284%.

Third error: pg 170. #32 Our answer was 138.3%. The book shows as 38.3%. This is an even because I have the teacher's edition which shows answers to odds and evens.

Fourth error: This one isn't a calculation error, but did confuse my son who ended up spending a lot of time pretending to graph things and creating long, drawn out inequalities.

Pg 177 #1-8. The book is supposed to graph variables on 8 number lines. The student is supposed to interpret the graph and create an expression that describes what they see on the graph. However, in our book, the number lines are empty. There is nothing graphed on the number lines to interpret. This looks more like a printing error than anything else, but still did waste a bunch of my son's time since he assumed the book was correct in leaving the graphs blank and he was supposed to fill them in somehow.

Well-- answer on page 166 is correct... 1775 is the difference and the original was 625 so percentage change is 284%

Page 170-- answer is correct difference was 10.05 original was 26.24   (difference/original is percent increase) so 38.3%

Page 177 was misprinted in many of the student texts (first 8 problems)... about half of my students report this error-- it was corrected for reprints...

In the 8e that you have page 177 is the ONLY error I've found and I've taught out of it since 2007 when my oldest dd worked through it.

There is ONE typo in the 8e Algebra 2 text...

Please feel free to email me if you would like to see these or any other problems worked out--I'm glad to help!

Also note that chapter 2 is still part of the Pre-Algebra review--it is more for the TEACHER to test the skill set of the students... I only assign a few select problems from chapter 2 then move right into chapter 3 where Algebra 1 really begins.

Jann

• Like 1