Menu

Today's Silly Pizza Poll

Ginevra

Must Quill make homemade pizza, or is it okay to buy?   

110 members have voted

1. 1. Make it or buy it?

• Make it, you lazy loafer!
    • Buy it! Who makes pizza?
    • Eating pizza is sinful.
    • Order sushi, duh!
    • Eww. All your food choices are gross.
    • Make cereal.

I'm unmotivated. I was thinking of having pizza, which I often do for Friday night, but I can't decide whether I am so lazy, I should phone one in, or if I can haul my carcass off the couch and make one at home. If I make one at home, I think I will also have to make sauce, because I don't think I have any left. dH and the boys will be away to orrow and DH will probably grumble that he's already going to eat out tomorrow and thus I should not buy tonight. But in the end, he doesn't care much whether I order one or make it; he'll roll his eyes, but that would be the extent of it. So, what is the Hive's vote? Make it or buy it?

I'm making ours right now... but... I had enough sauce left over from the past two weeks that I didn't have to make more. I hate making the sauce, more than mixing the crust.

And the bacon and sausage were already cooked from dinner last night. And most of the veggies were precut.

That's probably not helpful, sorry.

• Like 1

I'm making ours right now... but... I had enough sauce left over from the past two weeks that I didn't have to make more. I hate making the sauce, more than mixing the crust.

And the bacon and sausage were already cooked from dinner last night. And most of the veggies were precut.

That's probably not helpful, sorry.

Yeah, I don't like making the sauce, either. I don't know what the big deal is, but it just takes all the fun out od making pizza. It's too much like I had to make a real dinner.

I'm unmotivated. I was thinking of having pizza, which I often do for Friday night, but I can't decide whether I am so lazy, I should phone one in, or if I can haul my carcass off the couch and make one at home. If I make one at home, I think I will also have to make sauce, because I don't think I have any left. dH and the boys will be away to orrow and DH will probably grumble that he's already going to eat out tomorrow and thus I should not buy tonight. But in the end, he doesn't care much whether I order one or make it; he'll roll his eyes, but that would be the extent of it. So, what is the Hive's vote? Make it or buy it?

The bolded statement seals it for me.  Order out.  :)

• Like 1

I voted to buy it.  The lack of sauce clinched my vote.  

Unless you decide to make a white pizza- then you just need a small amount of good olive oil and some herbs to moisten the crust before adding toppings. 

Or do you have pesto on hand? That makes my favorite pizza sauce.

I've also used an herb and garlic seasoned ricotta in place of sauce.  The kids weren't huge fans, but I loved it!

Yeah, I don't like making the sauce, either. I don't know what the big deal is, but it just takes all the fun out of making pizza. It's too much like I had to make a real dinner.

My kids buy the pizza sauce and all other ingredients from Trader Joes, assemble and bake their own personal size pizza. One likes cheese only pizza while the other likes his pizza laden with meat.

If we buy readymade at the supermarkets, kids rather buy sushi platters and eat right after paying for them than buy frozen pizza.

• Like 1

If it is actually possible to order sushi where you are, then that is always the choice ;)

I live in a place where I can't even get pizza delivered. So. Yeah. Sushi.

I'm totally having sushi tomorrow, when the boys are out camping. The guys are not big sushi fans.

Pro tip: learn how to can pizza sauce.

(I don't know how but DH's mother does and gifts us with many pints every year lol!)

Pro tip: learn how to can pizza sauce.

(I don't know how but DH's mother does and gifts us with many pints every year lol!)

I was considering it. I can other things and I don't imagine it would be difficult, really.

If it is actually possible to order sushi where you are, then that is always the choice ;)  

I live in a place where I can't even get pizza delivered.  So.  Yeah.  Sushi.

This. I also live in a place where I can't even get pizza delivered.

In the interest of full disclosure, I should probably confess that Brotherman made store bought pizza for dinner. I'm making a pork roast, but the boys were hungry and I got started late so it will be ready late and...yeah. Oops.

• Like 2

Wait, you can order in pizza? Suddenly jealous. We lost all delivery options when we moved her 8 years ago and sometimes, especially these last weeks of pregnancy, i would give anything. But then -- it is unlikely that anyone would deliver food the whole family could eat.

I do know what you mean, as I once lived closer to where you are and we could not get delivery. I am not entirely sure we can get delivery here, either...I ordered tonight for carry-out. It is possible they do deliver to us, though; I haven't asked. I think they are maybe nine or so miles away? Not sure.

We did carryout tonight because I made it the last two times we've had pizza (once on the grill--that is delicious, but time consuming).

When I make sauce, I freeze the leftovers in straight-sided canning jars with the plastic screw-on lids. When I make pizza, I pull one out of the freezer sometime during the day and let it defrost on the counter top. These are one-cup jars and I leave maybe an inch of space at the top and still find that it is enough to do the two pizzas that our dough recipe makes. One time of making sauce will yield enough for about 4 pizza nights (8 pizzas).

Our Sauce:

28 oz crushed tomatoes (we use Trade Joe's unsalted but I need to put it through the blender to make it smooth for my picky girls)

1 small can tomato paste

1 tsp oregano

1 tsp basil

salt and pepper to taste (we go no salt, maybe 1/2 tsp pepper?)

1-2 cloves minced garlic (we go with 2 for more flavor since we don't have salt)

Let it all percolate for 20-30 minutes.

• Like 1

We did carryout tonight because I made it the last two times we've had pizza (once on the grill--that is delicious, but time consuming).

When I make sauce, I freeze the leftovers in straight-sided canning jars with the plastic screw-on lids. When I make pizza, I pull one out of the freezer sometime during the day and let it defrost on the counter top. These are one-cup jars and I leave maybe an inch of space at the top and still find that it is enough to do the two pizzas that our dough recipe makes. One time of making sauce will yield enough for about 4 pizza nights (8 pizzas).

Our Sauce:

28 oz crushed tomatoes (we use Trade Joe's unsalted but I need to put it through the blender to make it smooth for my picky girls)

1 small can tomato paste

1 tsp oregano

1 tsp basil

salt and pepper to taste (we go no salt, maybe 1/2 tsp pepper?)

1-2 cloves minced garlic (we go with 2 for more flavor since we don't have salt)

Let it all percolate for 20-30 minutes.

Yeah,this recipe looks almost the same as mine, except I usually sauté some finely chopped onions in there first. Freezing it in the small canning jars is a good idea.

We eat far more pizza when the boys are home than now when they're gone.  It hasn't even crossed my mind in a couple of weeks now.  Like some of the rest of you, we have to go get it rather than having it delivered.

I can say I either like it with mushrooms, green peppers & onions or the totally sinful spinach alfredo.  Wait, that last one can't be totally sinful, right?  It has spinach on it.   :lol:

Hubby and my older two like meats on theirs, so if we're sharing, I give in somewhat.  Middle likes spinach alfredo too.  ;)

Youngest will only eat pizza with mushrooms, pineapple and/or cheese on it.  At least, that's what I remember.  I'm not sure how much his palate has expanded now that he's a college lad.  I bet he eats more varieties there - or maybe he's converted some others...  now I'm curious!

We eat far more pizza when the boys are home than now when they're gone. It hasn't even crossed my mind in a couple of weeks now. Like some of the rest of you, we have to go get it rather than having it delivered.

I can say I either like it with mushrooms, green peppers & onions or the totally sinful spinach alfredo. Wait, that last one can't be totally sinful, right? It has spinach on it. :lol:

Hubby and my older two like meats on theirs, so if we're sharing, I give in somewhat. Middle likes spinach alfredo too. ;)

Youngest will only eat pizza with mushrooms, pineapple and/or cheese on it. At least, that's what I remember. I'm not sure how much his palate has expanded now that he's a college lad. I bet he eats more varieties there - or maybe he's converted some others... now I'm curious!

Yeah, my youngest likes a pretty "empty" pizza, so he did get an indignant look on his face when he opened it to find all manner of unacceptable toppings on there - black olives and mushrooms in particular. Personally, I'm not much a fan of mushrooms, but if I accidently eat a little piece along with all those other veggies, it doesn't bother me. I will take off the big slabs of mushroom before eating a slice.

I say buy it if you don't feel like making it.

We make homemade pizza, but not every single time we need/want to eat pizza.  We particularly love grilled pesto pizza, but there has to be a lot of star alignment for that to work.

And yes I said need.  Today half my family is sick, but we all have multiple obligations, and more to come tomorrow.  We need pizza for dinner tonight.  I pick up Take and Bakes from Walmart or Sam's, generally. 

When I lived at home (before gluten free days) I always got pizza with green peppers.  This has always been my favorite.  But, the added bonus was that my brother wouldn't touch it.  Any other pizza leftovers were not safe.

A few years ago, when he came to visit, he looked at me and said, "Oh, by the way.  I like green peppers now..."  Now, no pizza is safe.

Yeah, my youngest likes a pretty "empty" pizza, so he did get an indignant look on his face when he opened it to find all manner of unacceptable toppings on there - black olives and mushrooms in particular. Personally, I'm not much a fan of mushrooms, but if I accidently eat a little piece along with all those other veggies, it doesn't bother me. I will take off the big slabs of mushroom before eating a slice.

I'd like your post, but I just can't once I read that you take mushrooms off and keep black olives on... I'm totally opposite there.

Actually, maybe we should eat pizza together and swap toppings?

• Like 1

What did you do?

Last night we were down to 3. I made meatball sandwiches for oldest two and I went out to eat with my girlfriends!

DH and youngest are both out of town.

I bought one. :)

• Like 1

How do you still have kids at home and have leftover salmon???

That never happened here and I can't see it happening as long as hubby lives here either. I think any of my guys could eat a whole fish each if we had that much.

They all like it, but not beyond a piece for dinner. Dd likes it especially well; if she were here, there would be none left.

• Like 1

How do you still have kids at home and have leftover salmon???

That never happened here and I can't see it happening as long as hubby lives here either.  I think any of my guys could eat a whole fish each if we had that much.

I know this question was directed to Quill, but I'll answer it, too. ;)

I make a lot -- and the littles don't like it.  (There was only piece left.)

• Like 1