Menu

:banghead:

Ewe Mama

Only do problems divided by 2, until they memorize the algorithm. Big long problems divided by 2.

Make up a board game, with some spaces that will not require doing a division problem, but with most spaces that do.

When they mostly get it, only require one correct problem a day.

• Like 7

Only do problems divided by 2, until they memorize the algorithm. Big long problems divided by 2.

Make up a board game, with some spaces that will not require doing a division problem, but with most spaces that do.

When they mostly get it, only require one correct problem a day.

Hunter, that plan is ingenious! Thank you so much for sharing it with us. I will work on a game board tomorrow.

Long division and telling time were my head banging moments for math, at least so far.

Are you trying the Singapore way? They teach it by explaining how the algorithm is just for keeping track of place values.

Clocks and telling time in general are excruciating for me, too. Long division is a close second.

We're just following along with the CLE math teaching, although I like Hunter's suggestion immensely.

Is there a place to see the Singapore algorithm online so I can figure out how to present it to them?

Long division was a trauma for me. So far I have not had one child or student think it was a big deal. I think because I was always a step ahead trying to make sure they didn't feel traumatized.

I'm not sure how I came up with the divide really big numbers by 2 idea. I would solve problem after problem with the student just watching. There is almost a hypnotic flow to long numbers divided by 2. Kind of like learning a new dance.

And the board game again allows the child to WATCH someone ELSE solve a problem.

You can put the problems on cards, and have game board spaces that require a card. That way you can make up new problems without having to make a new game.

Handling game pieces and shuffling cards lowers anxiety. Being partially focused on winning the game diverts attention away from the problems.

But more than anything, some students need to WATCH someone ELSE do math.

And the topic is best mastered with just one problem a day for a really really really long time. And maybe not even done alongside other math.

My boys were required to do one long division problem correctly before they walked to school early enough to play on the playground before the bell rang.

The younger was the only one in his class that could divide. The older was one of maybe three. I was questioned by staff about their ability to divide, it stood out that much.

I've never taught long division with a curriculum.

• Like 3

Long division is not as traumatic to me as potty training or teaching my kids to read, but it is in the top 10 of head-bangers here. It normally only lasts a few weeks (except for dd#2, who still only has to do one long division problem per day vs. however many are on her sheets to do) vs. months or years for the top two.

We did the long division by 2s. We also did (long) division using an abacus for awhile. Eventually, the trauma went down when it was just one problem per day, everyday. The only time she has to do more than one is on a test or a quiz.

• Like 2

Both of my boys were potty trained night and day in about 2-3 days, but it seemed to be a wet and loud experience. Lots of urine, sweat, tears, and howling on their part. A lot of sweat on my part. But it was over quickly.

Long division lasted longer, but it was much drier and quieter.

• Like 3