Menu

Can you help us build a list? (international relations/studies, critical languages, merit needed)

Luckymama

My daughter studies Near Eastern Language and Culture at University of Washington, including Turkish and Arabic.  It meets most of your requirements, but cost will be an issue.  They do have the Purple and Gold Scholarship which is up to $7500/year, and perhaps there are Honors College scholarships.  She may also want to consider applying for critical language scholarships (outside UW.) I really like Univ of Washington, but the only thing that makes it close to affordable for us (out-of-staters) is the GI Bill.

• Like 1

I didn't see Stanford on your list - they offer Slavic languages. I know it's a huge long shot for anyone because of it's low admittance rate but they do have generous aid.

Stanford would be fab. Seriously. Unfortunately we're right over that threshold for generous aid, and I suspect 8's family is in the same situation. Stanford would expect us to pay $38K (now---goodness knows what it will be like in two years!) plus books and travel and toothpaste etc. We love our dd and want her to be happy in a great college...but not at the expense of our retirement.

I really appreciate everyone's suggestions :)

• Like 1

Since you are looking, how about the University of Nebraska - Lincoln?

Pros-

- Back in the day, they offered full tuition for NMF status. Not sure what the current wording means.

- 25,000+ students

- In a city, albeit a small one (250,000). Easy to bike or walk to places for studying. For being in Nebraska, it is a pretty culturally diverse town. (So, take that with a bag of salt.)

-To find a corn field, you have to leave the confines of the city.

Cons:

- Not overly homeschool friendly

- Only found an International Business major, nothing with "studies" or "relations"

- Not sure how strong the language programs are, but they do have quite a few offerings.

- Definitely cold & snowy in the winter.

Wait. I found a Global Studies major. Not sure if that is better or worse than the International Business one.

• Like 1

What about Florida schools? Both Florida State and U Florida offer Russian and both have big study abroad programs. UF is known to be stingy with merit aid but FSU offers high stat out-of-state students instate tuition. And Florida instate tuition is like $6000/year.

This is actually a really good suggestion for your dd.  FSU is in Tallahassee and looking at their scholarship info, it looks like it would be under your budget.  

I have tried to understand UWisc's scholarship info and I can't figure it out.

I looked at Iowa b/c of BlsdMama :) and they would end up being about the same as FSU with whatever travel cost differential you would have between the two.

• Like 2

FIU might work very nicely.  NMF are eligible for full tuition, fees and room and board if they are selected for one of the FIU scholarships.

http://admissions.fiu.edu/costs-and-aid/scholarships/

No snow.  No cornfields.  54K student population so there should be a few coffee shops available. In Miami.  Southwest flies out of Ft Lauderdale which is less than 30 miles from Miami. 

Language course offerings for 2015  http://dll.fiu.edu/undergraduate/undergrad-courses/

Majors include:

Asian Studies

Global and Social Sciences

Honors College

International Business

International Relations

Political Science

Political Science: Education

• Like 1

My sister went to Macalester :) It would have been on our list but for finances.

We didn't qualify for any need based aid, but my son got very generous merit aid from Macalaster. He didn't choose to attend there, but we definitely would have paid far less than $30,000. They even offered him private, institutional work study.

• Like 2

You might look at KU (University of Kansas). It's close to Kansas City, and they have a host of language and a Global and International Studies major. They have Hindi, Farsi, and Tajik listed on the Global Studies page. 

Lawrence is like it's own little mecca, very much a college town, great downtown, and thriving cultural community. 

• Like 1

I want to point out here that NPC are not always accurate.  For fun, I went ahead and filled out the NPC for the university she currently attends.  Our income is too high according to the calculator (even with 13 in the household - I can't believe they are serious) and so they show that we would be paying almost the entire amount of tuition and for the rest of the cost Ana could work and get loans.  How'd that play out in real life?  Scholarships - full tuition met and paid.  So while we may be in a unique situation (?) I have no idea into the insight of the FA office, at the end of the day the calculator is completely off of real life.

Is she merit aid worthy and competitive?

I like to think so, yes :) We are currently discussing an early graduation plus gap year vs two more years of high school. She'd be even more competitive with two additional years, especially if she makes NMF. However, if she gets into a certain summer program, she could be competitive just with that plus next year's courses. (I spent 2.5 hours talking with my sister this morning, hashing out all the options!)

And NPCs make me crazy! I tend to believe the ones that ask for all but your blood type ;) vs the answer-six-questions type.

Well,  I don't know if it counts but this was the 30ish question answer type. ;)

I honestly believe there are universities out there that give strong preferential treatment and the U of I is one of them and part of it is because of a unique point system for merit aid that will be going away.... It's class rank.  You get a certain amount of points for your rank and they allow homeschoolers to be one of one, or so I was told, which gives us a unique bump in financial aid.  This system is going away, sadly.  ;)

Now, that said, specifics - for IN STATE tuition we were expected to pay $5k, Ana work for $2,500, and get almost $6k in loans.  How did it play out?  Full ride.

There are simply those colleges (not a dozen, but a few on the edge) that are on your border that you will need to pay the $30 application fee and see what comes back for financial aid offers and then call the financial aid office and see how flexible that offer is.  I wish NPCs were accurate, but widely, they don't seem to be, perhaps I'm the special peach.

• Like 1

This is actually a really good suggestion for your dd.  FSU is in Tallahassee and looking at their scholarship info, it looks like it would be under your budget.  

I have tried to understand UWisc's scholarship info and I can't figure it out.

I looked at Iowa b/c of BlsdMama :) and they would end up being about the same as FSU with whatever travel cost differential you would have between the two.

After I send a dozen kids there they really should pay me some kind of wage for marketing....  Or send six, get one free?  ;)

• Like 1

Hmm... lots of elite schools on the list. U Denver might be an option for merit aid, though.

Ds had Denver on his list. I think he received around $20,000 - $23,000 per year in merit money there? Something like that.

Honestly, $20-$25K was a pretty common merit award among middle-tier private schools. IME, it is tuition discounting. With prices as they are for tuition, room, board, and fees, this will still only get one down to about $38,000 - $40,000 per year at most privates that are not "elite." This is why ds had few match schools. He was very much "come big or stay at home." To him, a private school that was not a top school was not worth that - he would have taken something much cheaper (or free) at a Big State U if discounted privates and Big State U's had been his only options.

It's tough when you are looking for something so very specific and limited.

• Like 2

Ds had Denver on his list. I think he received around $20,000 - $23,000 per year in merit money there? Something like that.

Honestly, $20-$25K was a pretty common merit award among middle-tier private schools. IME, it is tuition discounting. With prices as they are for tuition, room, board, and fees, this will still only get one down to about $38,000 - $40,000 per year at most privates that are not "elite." This is why ds had few match schools. He was very much "come big or stay at home." To him, a private school that was not a top school was not worth that - he would have taken something much cheaper (or free) at a Big State U if discounted privates and Big State U's had been his only options.

It's tough when you are looking for something so very specific and limited.

This is what I have been finding over the past few days. The list is split into

• large landgrant-type universities with top-notch Critical Language Flagships (some of which are courting the NMF crowd)

• a few DC-area schools with great connections and high prices, though a combo of scholarship money and grants (based on NPC) will bring them close to the cost of our state flagship

• lottery schools such as Harvard and Princeton

I looked into 20 schools today. Not fun.

I want to thank all of you, once again, for all your ideas! I looked at every single one of your suggestions :)

• Like 4

What do I do with the schools whose NPCs gap us by more than $10K a year (grant plus anticipated scholarships)? Do I keep them on the Big List? How do I counsel dd----go ahead and apply to a bunch of schools, writing specific essays, visiting special programs, and wait to see how the money turns out?

You talk about money and leave the decision about whether to apply or not up to her.  If she wants to try, knowing the money needs to be within X amount, let her.  Sometimes it really does happen.  Other times it doesn't.  You honestly have no way of knowing ahead of time.  Best wishes to you with your guidance counselor role and acceptances down the road!

• Like 2

You talk about money and leave the decision about whether to apply or not up to her.  If she wants to try, knowing the money needs to be within X amount, let her.  Sometimes it really does happen.  Other times it doesn't.  You honestly have no way of knowing ahead of time.  Best wishes to you with your guidance counselor role and acceptances down the road!

At the other end of the spectrum it's not much different.  Dd must have submitted about 100 essays in total for colleges and scholarship programs.  It's what you do when you have to find an affordable option.  For dd the unknown wasn't merit aid, but whether she would get into the schools which truly meet full need.  She could have applied to fewer scholarship programs and fewer colleges, but until the decisions are in it's nearly impossible to know which ones to omit.

• Like 4

I bet you know this, but Richmond requires homeschoolers to take 3 AP exams or 3 SAT II's: history, science, and foreign language.

A friend basically told them to go jump in a lake b/c they only required these for homeschoolers and not for all students. (I think it's their right to require whatever they want to require.) Her ds was waitlisted at Princeton. He went elsewhere.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I bet you know this, but Richmond requires homeschoolers to take 3 AP exams or 3 SAT II's: history, science, and foreign language.

A friend basically told them to go jump in a lake b/c they only required these for homeschoolers and not for all students. (I think it's their right to require whatever they want to require.) Her ds was waitlisted at Princeton. He went elsewhere.

I know I'm a little late to this thread, but I just wanted to give you a Richmond update.  Although the UR website says that AP or SAT subject tests are required, they seemed a little flexible.  We sent them a listing of the classes that my son had take through dual enrollment, FLVS, and the local high school, and they said he wouldn't need to submit additional testing. 

HTH,

Kathy

• Like 2

I know I'm a little late to this thread, but I just wanted to give you a Richmond update. Although the UR website says that AP or SAT subject tests are required, they seemed a little flexible. We sent them a listing of the classes that my son had take through dual enrollment, FLVS, and the local high school, and they said he wouldn't need to submit additional testing.

HTH,

Kathy

Thank you for posting this! I will tell my friend.