Menu

ACT Test Prep using Retired Tests

My daughter is taking the Sept ACT and has been taking practice tests. She worked through all the tests in the Real ACT and Barron's. We also found a site that offers pdf downloads of retired ACT tests and scored sheets. Many of the posters on CollegeConfidential recommended the site. It is really good and my daughter was able to older tests that she could get additional practice on. 

The link: http://www.crackact.com/

It is against ACT "rules" to use expired tests like this. So College Confidential bans mention of sites like this, and posts about them get deleted relatively quickly.  It also wouldn't surprise me if the ACT company is able to get google to keep these sites out of search results for this reason. Or possibly the company keeps the site out of the search results to prevent a DCMA takedown from the ACT.  The test are probably legitimate, and I am sure many of the high priced test prep companies provide these to their clients.  Whether you are comfortable using them or not is a judgement call...

• Like 1

When you take the ACT you sign a statement saying you will not share or discuss the questions and answers with anyone. The people who post these tests get them (mostly) because they have taken the test and received the test booklet by paying extra for it.  So they are sharing their questions and answers, which violates the rules.  In addition the tests fall under standard copyright law, which means posting them without permission is a copyright violation, regardless of the ACT rules.

The whole thing is pretty ridiculous on the part of the ACT, because they are releasing the tests, but then not really releasing them. So people who know how to find them get an advantage. I am not sure what the rationale for not releasing them officially is, because I don't think they re-use questions.

Similar issues exist with the SAT, except from what I understand they do re-use entire tests at international test sites sometimes, which just encourages the rampant cheating that goes in some countries overseas. This might have worked 20 years ago, but the internet makes it too easy for this information to get passed around.