Menu

Are there any good online math programs (that are not k12)....or other math suggestions, transitioning from Miquon as a 3rd grader....

pehp

We have used Miquon for a couple of years. I love it but have trouble teaching it.  I tend to understand concepts intuitively, but my son needs a more laid-out approach (he seems very unable to focus and 'intuit' when it comes to math--concepts are tough for him). I think Miquon is doing its job in that he does GET concepts eventually, but we plod through it rather slowly.  We also use R&S b/c it is so straightforward, but I find it rather boring.  

I really like the concept of a mixed online-offline program, and we are enjoying using K12 LA this year (it's not my fave and not perfect but it is definitely getting the job done and I love not doing lesson plans), but I've seen nothing about K12 Math that would lead me to believe that it is a strong choice.  So I was wondering if there is a similar online-offline course for math that is not K12.  

OR: what is a good math to try?  I have looked at Right Start but am sort of unwilling to pull the trigger b/c it's so costly and I'm unsure of how well I would do teaching it.  Rod and Staff does the job, but I don't think it teaches any outside-the-box problem-solving. It's pretty cut-and-dry.  I assume CLE is similar.  

We're not yet done w/ our Miquon books, we're just working through this year. But I do feel we may need something else. I guess I am looking for:

*strong conceptual base--teaching a child to think conceptually 

*good review (I can supplement with drill, so I don't care as much about that)

*possibly some online content

*GOOD teacher support/clear instructions for me on how to teach a concept.  This is what I find most lacking in my beloved Miquon.  I look at a lab sheet, read the annotation, and totally "get" it.  But translating that to my son is really hard sometimes.  We plod along, but it's tough. 

Any suggestions would be helpful.  TIA!

We use Singapore. It doesn't meet the online qualification, but there are many ways to add fun supplements. Education Unboxed is intended for parents to use to teach the child, but they are free videos online. Khan, etc. 

Different people will tell you different things about teacher support and review depending up on whether you use the US Edition or Standards Ed. Standards gets better reviews on both accounts most of the time. We like the US Edition just fine. I think the home instructor's Guide HIG material is plenty for me--it has a different kind of support than Miquon's teacher material. 

Review--there are multiple components to the curriculum, but you don't have to use all of them. The basic setup is the textbook and workbook. The WB is for independent practice, so it's a little easier than the TB. Similar to the work book, you can get the Extra Practice. This is review material. You can also get the Challenging Word Problems books or Intensive Practice books. The CWP is exactly what it sounds like. The IP is harder than the TB--it's a logical extension of the concepts learned in the TB, and it's stretching but reinforcing. It has some word problems at the level of the CWP as well. It's really the part of the program that makes Singapore a great fit for us--my older son needs to have that stretch to solidify concepts.

Placement is probably a little tricky coming out of Miquon. We've opted to shift between Singapore and Miquon starting a little earlier rather than wait until Miquon is finished. 

I'll second the plug for the Process Skills in Problem Solving books. We've loved the several levels that we've used.

As for electronic options, Dreambox was already mentioned. We use Dreambox, but that, as we've used it, is not a full curriculum. The site recommends 15 minutes, twice a week for best results. We tend to use it daily, completing one exercise successfully. It is challenging, for certain, and adapts very well to my children's learning. My K'er started it last year, and has really grown leaps and bounds in his maths knowledge, advancing quickly through the K and 1st levels, and now really meeting new challenges via Dreambox. We're believers and plan to stick with it. It is definitely the "conceptual math" approach.

Maybe you could combine Dreambox with one of the other electronic options?