Menu

There is something very wrong with some people

kewb

I just found out today that my friend's son was forced off the road by 4 men who then kidnapped him and took him to a bank and made him withdraw his money. On his first day of college.

This kid worked 3 jobs this summer while completing his eagle scout project so he would have enough money to focus on his studies and these men just took it.

Who does that?

:confused1:    :crying:    :glare:    :mad:

I hope there is video evidence from the bank site that might lead to the arrest of these monsters.

This is the kind of deserving individual who merits a "Go Fund Me" rally, or something similar. 

Bothers me to hear of such a happening.  Praying for this young man.

• Like 5

I thought scam at first when my son told me about the gofundme page. Spoke to his mom. It really happened. They went right to the police and it is being investigated.

It happened 10 minutes from home. He is going to college local and living at home.

• Like 1

Do you think this really happened, or did someone call to tell the parents it did so they would send money to a fake place?

That was my first thought as well! This is a pretty common scam.

So four armed men forced a kid into a bank (since you can only withdraw a few hundred from the ATM), and the kid never signaled the teller or wrote a note on the withdrawal slip or anything?

• Like 6

I'm trying to figure out how it would be possible for four armed men to force a kid into a bank (since you can only withdraw a few hundred from the ATM), and the kid never signaled the teller or wrote a note on the withdrawal slip or anything?

I really hope the parents didn't wire a bunch of money without making sure the story is legit.

Oh dear.  Now you both have me inclining toward fear of this having been the case.

So four armed men forced a kid into a bank (since you can only withdraw a few hundred from the ATM), and the kid never signaled the teller or wrote a note on the withdrawal slip or anything?

That's what I was thinking. An armed kidnapping like that would make the news here, and I'm in a fairly large city. Have you seen news articles with surveillance photos? They usually get those out quickly to help protect the public and catch the guys.

• Like 5

I would assume the child lost the money somehow and lied to his parents about it, but when I read this I googled and apparently college kids being kidnapped and forced to withdraw money does happen.  More than half a million hits on google.

there are also alot that make the news - then it comes out they lied because they didn't want to 'fess to mom and dad they blew it on something else.   I admit, I want to see bank surveillance photos, and the electronic records that he withdrew the money in person. a kidnapping like that is also very likely it would be all over their local media.

someone did get my son's debit card info and spent about $500 right after he got paid.  he's also a student.  he only found out afterwards.  that's the more typical scenario.

• Like 4

there are also alot that make the news - then it comes out they lied because they didn't want to 'fess to mom and dad they blew it on something else. I admit, I want to see bank surveillance photos, and the electronic records that she withdrew the money in person. a kidnapping like that is also very likely it would be all over their local media.

someone did get my son's debit card info and spent about $500 right after he got paid. he's also a student. he only found out afterwards. that's the more typical scenario.

We have had a few in recent years that was a cover up story for drug money.

• Like 3

We have had a few in recent years that was a cover up story for drug money.

yep.  and when it is that egregious - it's likely fake.

and if it is fake . . . it's very likely charges against him will be filed (for wasting police time.)

I can also see a scenario where he owed some druggies money - and they got it back.  but the likelihood of even one forcing him to withdraw money from inside a bank undetected is not particularly high.

• Like 2

Another thought, I would assume a college kid is broke or maybe has a few thousand dollars. I'd pull over a woman in a nice van with a nice ring or a guy in a suit with a nice car. Could this be an inside job? Someone who knew how much cash he had access to? Or totally fake? Crazy story.

• Like 2

What I don't understand about this is how four men come into a bank with a college aged kid, the college kid being the only one to do any banking, and nobody in the bank thinking it is suspicious. If I were the teller in a bank and five men came in and only one withdrew money (ALL of his money), I would have said, "I'll be right back," and gone to call police or I would have watched them leave the bank to get a license plate number and then called police.

• Like 8

Google tells me that the maximum amount you can withdraw from ATMs per day is almost always $1000 (or less for some banks). It sounds like the claim here is that more than that was taken, in which case the circumstances of going into the bank sound very strange if nobody noticed the suspicious activity. Do you know how much money was involved, kewb?

• Like 2

This type of robbery is being done here frequently now. Not college students in particular, but anyone. They normally involve taking two people (often husband and wife). Hold one hostage while the other is sent  to withdraw the money. It was attempted on some down the street neighbors a few weeks ago (kidnapping from their home).

Poor boy must be terrified.

I'm sorry, but being a detective, this story is suspicious.  I would start by interviewing the victim (of course).  Ask him if he knew the four men? if he owed anyone money? and get a complete (step by step) story of what happened.  I would then get the video at the bank, which should tell a lot.  More than likely there will be a plate number of the suspect vehicle and video/pictures of the suspects.  If this case is real, I'm suspicious, it would be easy to solve.

It's an extremely rare case, but possible.  I have learned in my 20 years of Law Enforcement, most cases (if not all)  have simple reasons for happening, ie - kid ran out of money, spent the money, or kid is ashamed to tell parents the truth for some reason and there is that 1% chance it really happened..  

Not saying it didn't happen, I just think this case would be easily solved no matter the circumstance.

This would also be in the paper, can you post the link to the article?

JW :patriot:  

• Like 10

Another thought, I would assume a college kid is broke or maybe has a few thousand dollars. I'd pull over a woman in a nice van with a nice ring or a guy in a suit with a nice car. Could this be an inside job? Someone who knew how much cash he had access to? Or totally fake? Crazy story.

I agree. If I'm going to rob someone, it wouldn't be a college student.

• Like 3

I agree. If I'm going to rob someone, it wouldn't be a college student.

Unless it is an inside job. Someone who knew he had X in his account mentions it to a cousin, cousin and his scummy friends rob the kid. A random college kid seems like an odd choice.

Don't worry, OP, the Hive will have this crime solved by the end of the day!!

• Like 12

One more comment...I am not a college student, but an established adult. However, I have very little money in a local account. I have a local checking account that I deposit our paycheck into and use some to pay bills/buy groceries. The rest goes to one of our online accounts. Does anyone else not keep lots of money in a local account?

• Like 3

If this crime did happen the way it is reported, it is proof that criminals are seriously dumb. Banks have tons of cameras! And the jail time for robbing a kid is the same as robbing a rich old lady--pick the victim with the most money especially if you are dividing it 4 ways.

• Like 2

One more comment...I am not a college student, but an established adult. However, I have very little money in a local account. I have a local checking account that I deposit our paycheck into and use some to pay bills/buy groceries. The rest goes to one of our online accounts. Does anyone else not keep lots of money in a local account?

We keep no local accounts whatsoever.  All online banking & investments.

If this crime did happen the way it is reported, it is proof that criminals are seriously dumb. Banks have tons of cameras! And the jail time for robbing a kid is the same as robbing a rich old lady--pick the victim with the most money especially if you are dividing it 4 ways.

Some criminals really are dumb.  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/stupid-criminals/

• Like 1

Dh and I were discussing the situation this morning. We really want to believe it went down the way he says because he really is generally a good kid. And we do know his family. At the same time we agree that some things don't add up quite right.

We are hopeful that it wasn't a case where he withdrew a large sum to buy drugs and they took his money. Thus prompting the story he told his folks. The area where he claims it happened is known for drug dealing and other crimes.

• Like 3

I'm sorry, but being a detective, this story is suspicious.  I would start by interviewing the victim (of course).  Ask him if he knew the four men? if he owed anyone money? and get a complete (step by step) story of what happened.  I would then get the video at the bank, which should tell a lot.  More than likely there will be a plate number of the suspect vehicle and video/pictures of the suspects.  If this case is real, I'm suspicious, it would be easy to solve.

It's an extremely rare case, but possible.  I have learned in my 20 years of Law Enforcement, most cases (if not all)  have simple reasons for happening, ie - kid ran out of money, spent the money, or kid is ashamed to tell parents the truth for some reason and there is that 1% chance it really happened..  

Not saying it didn't happen, I just think this case would be easily solved no matter the circumstance.

This would also be in the paper, can you post the link to the article?

JW :patriot:  

That was my first thought. The bank video would be very telling.  

And it wasn't in the media, at least around here. 

• Like 1

The family is looking to sponsor a program in town about personal safety and they are speaking with the scouts to see if they want to do something.

I can't imagine he would take it this far of he wasn't telling the truth.

When people lie to cover their tracks - things often get away from them. That his parents want to do this and he's in it too really doesn't mean much other than his parents are concerned.

So he could be telling the truth but this doesn't mean he's not lying.

• Like 2

I personally take a very pragmatic approach to such matters.

If the consequences of not believing the friend when he is telling the truth would be losing his trust and giving him a prematurely negative attitude towards the human race and the consequences of believing him when he is lying would be looking foolish in front of my friends and wasting perfectly good money that I could have spent ordering dessert at a restaurant, then I'd rather look foolish and skip the apple pie.

YMMV

• Like 1

The family is looking to sponsor a program in town about personal safety and they are speaking with the scouts to see if they want to do something.

I can't imagine he would take it this far of he wasn't telling the truth.

I know a girl who lied about almost being kidnapped.  She had an elaborate story and described the van the men had and how one man got out and chased her.  She's a very good girl, great grades, not one to make up a story like that.  It turned out she had fallen behind her friends while out for a jog because she stopped to tie her shoe.  She made up the story to freak them out.  It freaked them out enough that one told her mother and her mother immediately called the girl's parents.  They questioned her and she kept up the lie.  The police were called, a report was made, and a search began to try to find the men.  The story was used often and by the schools to remind kids to be safe when out and about.  A few months later she confessed that she made it all up.  Everyone who knows her was shocked it went so far and that she had lied.  Sometimes people get caught in the lies and feel like they can't dig out from them and just let them keep going.

• Like 3

Very few banks here are 'local'.  I bank with First Direct, which is the telephone/online arm of HSBC and covers the whole of the United Kingdom.  I can withdraw money for free at almost any cashpoint and can do other business at my nearest HSBC branch, which is about half an hour away.  I don't think I've ever gone to the branch since moving here seven years ago, because I can do everything by phone/online/by post.

• Like 1

I know a girl who lied about almost being kidnapped. She had an elaborate story and described the van the men had and how one man got out and chased her. She's a very good girl, great grades, not one to make up a story like that. It turned out she had fallen behind her friends while out for a jog because she stopped to tie her shoe. She made up the story to freak them out. It freaked them out enough that one told her mother and her mother immediately called the girl's parents. They questioned her and she kept up the lie. The police were called, a report was made, and a search began to try to find the men. The story was used often and by the schools to remind kids to be safe when out and about. A few months later she confessed that she made it all up. Everyone who knows her was shocked it went so far and that she had lied. Sometimes people get caught in the lies and feel like they can't dig out from them and just let them keep going.

Locally we had a mom of six disappear. Her empty van with her belongings was staged so it looked like she was interrupted. Foul play was suspected and searches etc. She left on her own. Something those who know her never would have supposed. She'd bought a plane ticket and just left her family. She changed her mind and came back. Was recognized and taken to a police station. She's currently on a 72 hr mental health hold.

The Worry of her family and friends, the resources for searching - all unnecessary.

• Like 1

I'm sorry.  I was wondering about it today.   I hope it turns out... I'm not sure how I hope it turns out. I don't want your young friend to be the victim of a crime and I don't want him to be a liar.   I guess I just hope he ends up OK.

I'v been thinking this too...I don't want it to turn out that he lied but I also hope he wasn't the victim of this crime either. 

I just don't know what to hope. So you hit it on the head- I just want him to be ok. 

• Like 2

Locally we had a mom of six disappear. Her empty van with her belongings was staged so it looked like she was interrupted. Foul play was suspected and searches etc. She left on her own. Something those who know her never would have supposed. She'd bought a plane ticket and just left her family. She changed her mind and came back. Was recognized and taken to a police station. She's currently on a 72 hr mental health hold.

The Worry of her family and friends, the resources for searching - all unnecessary.

I think this mom needs a month at a spa retreat. The articles read that she is 31 years old with 6 kids from 14 years to 2 years and that she works 12 hour days 6 days a week. That is a lot of stress.
  • Like 4

I think this mom needs a month at a spa retreat. The articles read that she is 31 years old with 6 kids from 14 years to 2 years and that she works 12 hour days 6 days a week. That is a lot of stress.

She made several suicidal comments, hence the 72hr mental health hold.