Menu

How are the First Years getting along?

Granny_Weatherwax

DD was sick for a second time this semester with anothr sinus infection and very swollen tonsils.  SHe wants her tonsils removed during CHristmas break so we will see if that is possible.  SHe keeps getting very swollen tonsils with blisters on them and they are very painful.  The main problem this time was her asthma flared and she can't exercise with breathing issues.  Apparently her rescue inhaler is out of juice, which is not a good thing.  She has chosen her spring classes and they are three continuping classes- Calc, Physics, and her combo lit/soc sci class and she is going to be doing her writing intensive class on Suburbia which she thinks will be interesting. SHe called me today that she is coming home earlier than I expected (Monday) since her teachers cancelled the Tuesday classes.

DS is home for Thanksgiving.  I did a quick out-n-back trip to pick him up.  Airline tickets were over $1300 (even with two months advance planning) so we decided it was easier for me to do the drive and save $900.   I have the free time so it was worth it.  We ran into snow and ice for the last few hundred miles as we live in the direct path of the storm that came through Friday and Saturday.  Cars, trucks, and semis were in ditches from Indianapolis all the way into the middle of Illinois.  The worst, I think, was a four door pickup that had obviously rolled and landed on the highway guardrail.  It was a fairly intense few hours.

DS was accepted to the study abroad program for Spring term,which isn't actually spring term as it is at most colleges; it's the end of April and all of May. He was awarded a nice scholarship/fin aid package to help cover expenses.  He will be applying for a passport this week.

He registered for Winter term classes a couple of weeks ago.  He's taking a Junior level psych research class.  He has already submitted a research proposal to the University's IRB and it has been accepted.  He has been awarded a small stipend and has been meeting with the research team and his advisor.

I am surprised that he is doing research already without having the benefits of  foundation classes.  I keep telling myself the school wouldn't let him do something for which he wasn't prepared.  He's having fun and enjoying himself.  It's just strange that I don't have a say in course sequence.  I liked being able to have input or at least an opinion that was considered.  :)  Now, I am informed after the fact. 

Ah, the growing pains of having an independent young adult.  ;)

• Like 6

Registered for winter term, likes the schedule. Much better than this term.

He is taking a math class for the spring term, and then taking the summer off. He'll have 36 credits by the end of spring term. He has been sick with influenza A, but couldn't get into the doctor to get a note for classes. The World History professor drops student grades one letter grade for every absence without basically a death certificate or a doctor's letter, so he pushed through with that class. His other professors were happy to have him submit his assignments online and stay home so they didn't get sick too. Friday night he submitted his comp sci assignment for Saturday morning. She happened to be online at the time, saw it in her inbox, graded it right away, and said, "You were coughing a lot in class last week so I know you don't feel well. You earned 100% on this assignment so stay home tomorrow." He was very happy to have Saturday off as it has been a challenge to have classes six days per week. He has classes on Monday and Tuesday, is off Wednesday through Sunday, and then is back for two weeks of classes, and one week of finals. But, due to carpal tunnel surgery for his German professor during Finals Week, the school allowed her to push her finals to DECEMBER 21ST!. No joke, four days before Christmas, he has an exam. He is back to class Jan. 4th. So, not a long break at all.

He has blossomed a lot. I am very, very proud of him.

• Like 3

But, due to carpal tunnel surgery for his German professor during Finals Week, the school allowed her to push her finals to DECEMBER 21ST!. No joke, four days before Christmas, he has an exam. He is back to class Jan. 4th. So, not a long break at all.

He has blossomed a lot. I am very, very proud of him.

Sounds like he's doing great! But really, they couldn't come up with another solution (let her dictate her test to someone else to type out? Reuse a previous year's test?) That's hard on the student AND families! My son will be off for a month, and I'm hoping to get a few things done around the house (and maybe he can do more exploring to try to decide a major!).

I'm really amazed at the ways my son has blossomed as well. It's so encouraging to see them grow in skills and mature as well. 

DS has been 'off' since he got home.  He had a soft hold on his spring registration due to needing an immunization booster.  He went to the doctor for the shot but was unable to receive it.  It turns out he was running a slight fever and the doctor discovered a sinus infection and double ear infections.   

The toddler had the same thing last week. 900 miles apart and these two get the same illnesses.

SMH

Edited by ScoutermominIL

DS has been 'off' since he got home. He had a soft hold on his spring registration due to needing an immunization booster. He went to the doctor for the shot but was unable to receive it. It turns out he was running a slight fever and the doctor discovered a sinus infection and double ear infections.

The toddler had the same thing last week. 900 miles apart and these two get the same illnesses.

SMH

Oh yikes, when it rains it pours!

Dd registered for spring. The string of texts that followed were hysterical. She likened it to the Hunger Games. The website went down and when it came back up, her sections were all full. She ended up with 7:30 am classes 3 days a week. She said at one point she almost considered registering for a bowling class, because she was short on units. If you could only see her bowl, you would understand the comedy of that.

She's going to have a very full semester. She's applying for study abroad for the fall semester. I'm nervous about how she will pay for it.

• Like 1