Menu

How are the First Years getting along?

Granny_Weatherwax

DS registered for classes today.  He is happy with his schedule.  He was one of four freshman who were selected for a special combination course.  It's a high 200 level class and involves hands on learning in the lab - no foundation courses required.  It's promises to be intense.  He wanted research early and often and he's going for it.

He also made it into Intro to Japanese.  He is beyond thrilled.  This course was limited to 15 and he wasn't sure he would get in.

• Like 15

Dd is enjoying being at school, has made some friends, and likes her classes. Her roommate has started going to bed early for dd, so that's been a little awkward when dd is wanting to study late. She has to go out to the kitchen lounge on the hall.

The only true hiccup has been dealing with people in chemistry lab. She is frustrated that they can't think logically. She told me we only did experiments in the kitchen, but she feels far more prepared than most of her classmates who went to public school.

She's at a Christian college which requires a religion minor. She's amazed at how little her New Testament classmates know about the bible.

• Like 8

Ds came home for the night Saturday of Labor Day weekend. This is his 4th week of school. He is happy. He likes his suite mates and his classes. His schedule on a daily basis is quite amazing (earliest class is at 10). He likes all his teachers and loves his math teacher. Math (always his weakest subject) is his favorite class :huh: . He has joined a couple of clubs and is still finding time to maintain his youtube channel, so right now things seem really good.

One of his classes did a writers workshop for their drafts of their first paper. Ds had a killer week that week and just threw together what he thought was more of a brainstorming session than a draft and everyone told him what an amazing writer he is :svengo:. I give credit for his ability to do this to PA Homeschoolers AP English, but I hope it doesn't go to his head and encourage him to do such sloppy prep!

Ds has always been a homebody, very introverted, and not at all independent. I was worried how dorm life and being forced to take responsibility for himself would go, and so far, I am quite pleased! I'm looking forward to mid-term grades to know how he is doing academically, but I'm glad he is happy and has adjusted well.

• Like 10

My ds is loving school. His Engineering Honors Dorm and the kids in it, are a perfect match for my geeky, techie son. He flew to PennApps and won the best Pebble app award and got a free Pebble watch, which he gave to my dh. Surprisingly, his favorite class is his Astronomy class but he's enjoying the give and take of ideas in all the classes.

I was a little nervous about the size of CU Boulder but it's been interesting to see how well the Residential Academic Collge works at making a smaller, more intimate school within a school.

Thus far, it seems like it was a perfect fit and that he was ready for this next stage. Whew!

• Like 4

Dd is doing well so far. She's taking it slow making friends and spending a lot of time studying... but I think she's finding a bit of a tribe now. I knew it would be slow because of her personality and the fact that she has a single room (her preference). She kept reassuring me that she knew that this would be the way it would turn out and I should have listened to her.  :)

She's overloaded by one class  - she'll probably end up needing to drop one, but she likes both intro engineering choices --- nanotech and mechE--- so who knows. Maybe she can handle the load. She just joined an Engineers Without Borders project team, has been going to meditation, and likes her TKD Phys Ed class. (I keep secretly hoping she'll join the TKD team.)

I will be holding my breath for a while, still. This was not her first choice school and the jury is still out on whether she will want to deal with the pressure cooker there... she really, really liked the Community College and knows it's a very viable option for her. I honestly have no preference except that she ends up coming out of college with her *self* intact.... whatever that means to her.

So far, so good though.

Her sister, on the other hand, is living it up in Spain at the beginning of her year abroad... no time needed to warm up to that, apparently.  :coolgleamA:

• Like 4

I received this text about an hour ago.

"Mom, Dr. Ellis is so interesting. I am glad I chose to adjust my schedule so I could stay with her class. I took four pages of notes, and recorded the lecture so I could listen again. I picked the topic for my October paper, and am really excited to get started on the research. Off to lunch, going to meet with a classmate and practice German, expecting German class to go well after, and then off to student Bible study. See you tonight."

That's good medicine for the homeschooling mommy heart.

He found a study partner for German. She spent a year in Germany when her dad was there on business so she has some conversational German mastered. But, she didn't study it in high school so does not have a grammar and spelling background. Ds writes German well, and has a good grasp of introductory and intermediate sentence structure, grammar, and spelling, but his conversation - given the limits in our homeschool and inability to get the language at the community college - is not so great. I think this will work well for both of them.

He's my natural born writer and all of his classes this semester require a lot of writing which actually makes him happy. I am sure he is an enigma if not a three headed alien to his classmates! :lol:

• Like 5

He does have several classmates in Dr. Ellis's class that do not seem to know how to take notes or simply aren't inclined to do it.  Aside from some selections from the textbook, or from library books, the class is a lecture heavy course and the tests will cover the lectures extensively. I think that is going to be a problem for some of them.  I do sympathize though because I do not think note taking skills are readily taught much less practiced at many high schools, and most everything is textbook driven with the tests being taken directly from the questions on the chapter reviews in the book. I hope they adjust.

So glad I did some lecturing, and taught note taking at the middle school level then required note taking off the many Great Course lectures we have used. Neither dd or ds have had any difficulty with this skill. The other two show every sign of also being comfortable and efficient note takers.

• Like 3

I'm loving reading the updates.  So glad to hear that everyone is settling in well!

Dd1 is doing well but is working insane hours.  Art school is crazy!  On her longest days she has 8 hours of class, and on top of the number of hours spent in class, the assignments are overwhelming.  For example she has a 1-credit class that routinely requires 40 illustrations to be completed every 2-3 days (and these are huge illustrations.)  Dd has bandaids on several fingers. :unsure:  She is doing well, but I think she is starting to wonder if she really wants this kind of life for herself long term.

She loves, loves, loves her Honors College, though!  She has already made lots of friends, she signed up for the Honors Council, she ran for office and WON (!), and she has been to four additional sponsored lectures/discussion panels.  I am so proud of her.  I think that given the pressure she's under, it would be really easy to sit in her single room and work herself to death, but I'm so glad she's making room for college life too.

• Like 4

My daughter is deliriously happy!!

She has made a bunch of like minded friends, joined clubs and a sorority, spent weekends doing school sponsored activities, has taken trip to mall and is even taking advantage of the gym.

She loves her classes and her schedule (Tuesdays she is done by noon and Thursday she is done by 9am)

She is in a quad (4 girls) and one girl has already dropped out of school. A girl down the hall who is not happy with her roommates is moving in. 

• Like 5

Ds is doing well. He's only on campus T/Th and has one online class. He underestimated how long it would take to do homework last night and ended up being up until 5. He's a night owl anyway, but he had to be up by 7:30. He was tired and is napping now. 

His programming and CAD class seem like they will be fairly easy for him. His math is going better than he expected. His writing class has work due daily. It's pushing him. I tutored him with an assignment for Tuesday. He ended up writing a really nice piece. For today, he did the assignment without my help and did just as well. I think he's surprising himself. 

He's hungry and we're still working on lunch issues. We can't meet up until he's done with classes. By then I'm ready to go home.

His dad just moved back to the area a couple of weeks ago. That, combined with school, has created a bit of anxiety for him. Once he gets used to the routine of all the new things, he'll be okay. 

• Like 4

My campus also started something new. Any student can visit the new student food pantry twice a month. It's an offshoot of a local food pantry and a student group. There was no qualifying, just show your student ID and load up two plastic bags of groceries of your choosing. I know it's going to make a difference for us. 

Some of the food items would work for kids living in the dorms too. Not sure if that's a popular thing on other campuses. 

Food prices at campus restaurants are just ridiculous. It's like stadium pricing. 

Thought I would mention that in this thread in case kids are burning out on cafeteria food. 

• Like 10

Dd2 is enjoying life. She is a transfer, and she is loving living in an on-campus apartment with three apartment-mates. She has a fairly light schedule this year -- due to an abundance of transfer credits she is taking a minimum full-time load. She is loving having lots of practice time, and for the first time in about eight years she actually has some FREE TIME!!!!!

She got a horrible cold last week that turned into an infection, but a trip to the medical center resulting in a prescription for an antibiotic seems to be helping.

Last year dd drove 4 hours each way once every three weeks or so for an organ lesson. This year she has a weekly lesson with the same prof. She is LOVING seeing him on a weekly basis!

• Like 7

I think his schedule has settled-- he's in something called a learning community course-- race, religion and memoir -- where he lives on the same floor with the other students in this particular course. All the students in the class have singles, I think because they spend so much class time together. He has a film course for his major, then something about death rituals of ancient Greeks and Egyptians, which he loves, then one other course which kept changing because of overlapping times. Not sure what that is. He had a film review published in the student paper and joined rugby, even though he doesn't know how to play, but he can keep up with the others, thanks to taking up running in the last year. I'm keeping my distance, but my younger son and husband are in regular contact, and said that he must be happy because he is talking alot. The first weekend was hard, waiting for things to start. He has been there 9 days.....

Maria

• Like 4

My DD is doing very well.  She has a lot of work but has some downtime too.  She has joined a Bible study but hasn't made it to a church yet (apparently she is sleeping in on Sundays).  She joined the physics club and two of her friends (identical twins) did too.  What is funny about that is that they are English majors while my dd is a physics major.  She is very happy to actually have a physical copy of her physics textbook and she lugs that all around.  Physics is her favorite class and she likes the labs too. Music History has been very easy so far for her since she knew the stuff already.  SHe has had one short paper in her lit/history class.  Calculus is her biggest bugaboo but she says she understands the examples the teacher does.  SHe just has loads of homework.

SHe is looking forward to fall break (in about another month) and to see us and her kitty again.  SHe has already gone through one sinus infection at school.  I will have to remind her to go get the flu shot.

• Like 2

My dd is a new transfer student (sophomore).  She is loving being in an apartment on campus instead of a dorm room.  Changes are hard for her though, and she is my shyest.  This is her first weekend on campus, even though she moved in about two weeks ago.  (We have a small family business in the metro area she is in, and she wanted to help out there the first couple of weekends and stay at a relative's home on those days.  We don't live there ourselves.  I know, it sounds confusing!)

Anyway, I hope she likes it.  She kind of needs to be pushed into starting new activities.  She does seem more relaxed about not knowing what she wants to do exactly career-wise, and I think her classes are good.  She is rarely super enthusiastic and expresses optimism cautiously, so it's often hard to judge where she's at.  She will be starting physical therapy for an injury she sustained during the summer, and we found a rehab center just two blocks from her campus, so that's good.  We'll be taking a little (weekend) fall trip later in the month and she will join us.  We went through a really terrible family trauma about 5 years ago, and she grew very dependent on her older sisters during that time.  This is her first year that she is not close (geographically) to any of them, so I do worry about her just a little.  But she has lots of relatives close by who love her and support her!

Another of our kids will graduate in December, another in May, and another graduated last December. 

• Like 3

Ds moved in last Friday. His roommate and suitemates all seem like nice kids. Classes don't start until the 21st. In between is a whirlwind of activities for freshmen, including meetings with advisers and registration for classes. Yesterday was only the third day and my son was already exhausted. He just wants to go read in a quiet room.

• Like 3

My daughter moved in mid-August, so she's been there for about a month. All is going well. She gets along with her roommate. She has made some friends and joined some activities. She has no complaints about the food. Classes are going fine, and clinicals started last week. She has two biology classes, two nursing classes, and a required writing class.

I've enjoyed reading everyone's updates so far! :)

• Like 5

DS seems to be doing well. He had a bit of a rough start with his schedule because he was staying up too late, but that seems to have worked itself out. He loves all of his classes. I hope he's keeping up with his assignments, time will tell. 

He came home for a couple of days over Labor Day weekend and it was good to see him and very strange to watch him drive away. Speaking of driving, he also has his first ticket under his belt. Sigh. He has an appointment at student legal services to get some advice from them on it. 

• Like 3

DS seems to be doing well. He had a bit of a rough start with his schedule because he was staying up too late, but that seems to have worked itself out. He loves all of his classes. I hope he's keeping up with his assignments, time will tell. 

He came home for a couple of days over Labor Day weekend and it was good to see him and very strange to watch him drive away. Speaking of driving, he also has his first ticket under his belt. Sigh. He has an appointment at student legal services to get some advice from them on it. 

Like the good stuff, not the ticket. Can commiserate with the son staying up too late part. 

• Like 2

Update, ds just got grades on all of his assignments from his five classes. A's in all and ex tree a credit on a couple of essays. He is very happy. I feel a secret bit of self satisfaction. I know it is all his own hard work, but I also think just maybe I did an okay job teaching him to write. :)

On a not so nice note, I can not catch a break. My parents were in a terrible car accident. My mom has been sent to a hospital about an hour from our house, but my dad to one four hours away and he will be there a long time due to the many complications of his multiple health issues on top of injuries on top of medicare stinkiness. My brother is handling my dad, I am handling my mom, and college application season is upon us. I would be lying if I said everything was peachy keen here. Sigh....

But, I am so happy for ds. He was very nervous about starting school after the year he has endured. Oh, and he is walking well, very little pain right now, and he is using a rolling cart which makes a big difference! So I am trying to remember to focus on positives. That said, it may be a couple of days, maybe longer before I post again.

• Like 7

Update, ds just got grades on all of his assignments from his five classes. A's in all and ex tree a credit on a couple of essays. He is very happy. I feel a secret bit of self satisfaction. I know it is all his own hard work, but I also think just maybe I did an okay job teaching him to write. :)

On a not so nice note, I can not catch a break. My parents were in a terrible car accident. My mom has been sent to a hospital about an hour from our house, but my dad to one four hours away and he will be there a long time due to the many complications of his multiple health issues on top of injuries on top of medicare stinkiness. My brother is handling my dad, I am handling my mom, and college application season is upon us. I would be lying if I said everything was peachy keen here. Sigh....

But, I am so happy for ds. He was very nervous about starting school after the year he has endured. Oh, and he is walking well, very little pain right now, and he is using a rolling cart which makes a big difference! So I am trying to remember to focus on positives. That said, it may be a couple of days, maybe longer before I post again.

:grouphug: , Faith.  I am so sorry to hear of your parents' accident.  You have been through so much this year. Thinking of you and hoping that your parents recover quickly.  :grouphug:

And congrats on your ds's successes!  Wonderful news - wishing him lots more. :001_smile:

Dd sent me a couple of videos last night of the girls on her hall sitting around doing homework at the end of the hall with the window open. They started singing to people going by. I'm so glad she's having such a good time. She's not the most social person, so I worried that dorm life would be a difficult adjustment. 

• Like 5

So sorry Faith, all that seems hard for you.

I am very happy to hear that so many freshman are doing well.  My dd got her first paper back this week and was pleasantly surprised by the B+ grade she received and then got a 96% on a pop quiz in that same class.  This is a girl who is very much scientifically minded and is a dyslexic so a B+ grade on a paper is a grade we are very happy about.

On a funny note, we needed a copy of her car's registration for the taxes we are still doing and she texted us a copy of the insurance paper instead.  No the IRS doesn't care about our insurance and we are the policy holders of the insurance and don't need to see her card either.

• Like 5

My son got into all of the classes he wanted. Very happy about that because freshmen register last. He's taking two math classes, an econ class and Greek mythology.

He also ordered all of his books right after getting his classes and got some good deals. We are happy about that, too!

So far, he likes all of the kids on his dorm's floor, including his roommate (must knock on wood) and he thinks his academic advisers are the coolest people ever. LOL.

Even though we only live about 10 minutes away, he told us he'll see us in a week, or maybe a month. So much for being homesick.

• Like 7

Isaac is thriviing socially, spiritually, and academically!  He's keeping his A in math (his major) and a handy B in Spanish (his highest anxiety course) and the rest seems to be chugging along.  Great roommate, too, who is also a homeschool grad and whose family lives on the other side of the city. 

Congrats to all the other thriving freshmen I'm seeing on the list.  Here's to a great four years!

• Like 5

We moved our daughter in today! We never did get to meet her roommate (a busy college athlete), but dd's neighbors were super friendly and warm. I must say that most of the girls looked like they were about 16. But then again, my daughter is 5'11" and 19 y.o. I suspect her roomie will look 13 since she is a gymnast.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Any updates?

DS is going through some growing pains; mostly with little things that have big repercussions.  Things like: not going to check his PO Box, procrastinating filing paperwork until the last minute, emailing professors before checking the syllabus. I guess he heard "Check the syllabus" quite a bit the first few weeks.  :)

He is doing well academically and seems to be adjusting. He's found a couple of frats he is interested in pledging and that has opened up a whole new world for him.

That's about all I know.  As the semester progresses, his communication with me decreases.  I'm struggling with not being his go to person anymore. :(

• Like 6

You know, we really have no idea where ds is academically, and he doesn't seem to know, either. He has never been the type to closely follow grades, he says it makes him anxious. He's thinking he has B's and C's, but I'm not so sure. I could log into his account, but I am intentionally not doing that because it makes me anxious. 

He has met with his advisor and registered for spring semester classes. He wants to take 15 hours because he says he is bored only taking 12 hours. We agreed on the provision that he drop the fifth course during drop/add if he is overwhelmed. So, on tap for next semester is: Visual Literacy II; Design Drawing I; Narrative, New Media and Gaming; Materials and Process I; Art History from 1400. I don't like some of the choices, I think he needs more of his gen ed requirements on there (the Narrative, New Media and Gaming is a gen ed and the art history course will meet both a major requirement and a gen ed requirement). While he does need all of these classes in this sequence prior to the portfolio review that takes place at the end of his sophomore year, I'm worried that he's going to delay his gen ed courses far too long to get them in along with his upper level major classes. He actually managed, once again, to have his first class of the day at 11:00 am and to not have any classes on Friday. I think that's awesome! 

• Like 3

Dd is doing well. She has all As thus far, so that's a definite plus since her scholarship is tied to her GPA. She has made a couple of really close friends and is getting to know more girls on her hall. She is volunteering on the stage crew for a theater production and has volunteered to be an event coordinator for her dorm. She just got invited to a reception for Outstanding Freshman English students, so that's a nice accomplishment and something she had so little of as a homeschooled student. 

Her biggest dilemma is that she doesn't know what she wants to major in. There are about 4 degrees she would consider, and they are mostly in different departments. 

• Like 4

Ds is doing well. Midterm grades were good with one little issue.

When he looked at his midterm grades, it said he had an F in drawing. There had been no graded work and he was devastated. He went and talked to the teacher and it turned out to be a mistake and he actually had a B. She got it corrected, but he dropped the class because he couldn't stop feeling like a failure. :svengo:   All part of the fun of having an ASD kiddo in college. 

He registers for spring this week. 

• Like 4

Her biggest dilemma is that she doesn't know what she wants to major in. There are about 4 degrees she would consider, and they are mostly in different departments. 

Mine doesn't either. I'm hoping the career center is open over break and he can spend some time exploring (we did that his senior year, but didn't narrow things down much!)

Ds is doing well. Midterm grades were good with one little issue.

When he looked at his midterm grades, it said he had an F in drawing. There had been no graded work and he was devastated. He went and talked to the teacher and it turned out to be a mistake and he actually had a B. She got it corrected, but he dropped the class because he couldn't stop feeling like a failure. :svengo:   All part of the fun of having an ASD kiddo in college. 

He registers for spring this week. 

Aw, poor kid! Something similar happened to my son with his midterm grades, and even though it got corrected, he still didn't like that there's one low grade on the site. Mine needs to register--they opened registration a week or two ago but he was bogged down with several major papers that all came due within days of each other, and then more tests (his classes seemed to do 2-3 midterms rather than one), so he really hasn't been able to think through classes much. I'm hoping that classes he wants will still be open when he gets around to deciding! Overall I'm really pleased with how he's handling his time with studying. We've had a few rough patches with papers and underestimating just how much time it takes to write a good paper--so that's been a tough learning curve. I think it's going to come out all right though, and he's getting better at it now. I did come up with a "paper planner" so that he can look at overall time and divide it up, to work on papers more incrementally. 

• Like 3

My son is doing well. His chronic health issue appears to be well-controlled and he seems to be handling stress satisfactorily. These were our primary concerns -- he's a commuter student partly so we can help him keep an even keel. He's loving school, which is great to see.

Academically, all is fine. Midterms were all aces (so we're breathing easier about retaining scholarships and honors college distinction), and he was fortunate to secure a really good 6 month internship by the end of the first quarter.

The only thing that's hard is the commuter student part. Where is he? I don't know. When's he coming home? 45 minutes to 2 hours after he said he'd probably be here. Does he have time for chores? No. Does he know everything about everything all the time? Yes. Since he's proving that he can do well in college, we are setting a goal for moving out next fall. :)

• Like 6

Dd has had highs and lows. She's thriving socially. She has changed her major, which is fine with us. The school remains a great fit in general. She's growing spiritually, as well.

On the down side, she has academic warnings in 2 classes. I have no idea what her grades are in the other classes. We've basically given her the pep talk, but also told her that if she loses any scholarships, that's really the end of the road at that school. I desperately hope she takes it seriously. I checked recently and she brought up one grade to a C, but the other is still hovering in high D territory. She has to maintain a 2.5 to keep her scholarships. She also wants to go to Cambridge for a semester next year. That will require a 3.0 to even apply.

Overall, I'm super happy for her, but quite anxious to get those first semester grades in.

• Like 4

Dd has had highs and lows. She's thriving socially. She has changed her major, which is fine with us. The school remains a great fit in general. She's growing spiritually, as well.

On the down side, she has academic warnings in 2 classes. I have no idea what her grades are in the other classes. We've basically given her the pep talk, but also told her that if she loses any scholarships, that's really the end of the road at that school. I desperately hope she takes it seriously. I checked recently and she brought up one grade to a C, but the other is still hovering in high D territory. She has to maintain a 2.5 to keep her scholarships. She also wants to go to Cambridge for a semester next year. That will require a 3.0 to even apply.

Overall, I'm super happy for her, but quite anxious to get those first semester grades in.

Encourage her to go talk with her instructors in those struggling classes. Encourage her to ask for tips that would help her bring her grade up, and whether they offer any extra credit or allow her to redo any assignments. Taking advantage of office hours and showing that you care and are willing to work to bring a grade up can make a difference. The instructor may or may not be willing to offer any extra credit or re-do's but it never hurts to ask. Sometimes just touching base with an instructor can help a student understand more about what they want and do better for that reason. And I think most instructors do want to see students succeed and would at least offer study tips. Worth trying anyway! 

• Like 4

Encourage her to go talk with her instructors in those struggling classes. Encourage her to ask for tips that would help her bring her grade up, and whether they offer any extra credit or allow her to redo any assignments. Taking advantage of office hours and showing that you care and are willing to work to bring a grade up can make a difference. The instructor may or may not be willing to offer any extra credit or re-do's but it never hurts to ask. Sometimes just touching base with an instructor can help a student understand more about what they want and do better for that reason. And I think most instructors do want to see students succeed and would at least offer study tips. Worth trying anyway!

She has met with both profs and is getting tutoring for one of the classes. Not sure if she asked to redo anything. Thanks!

• Like 4

Very well, all A's despite a bad injury and surgery last month. Thankfully he was able to submit several late assignments and get back on track.

He's in the wonderful world of juggling college and P.T. now, so we put the part-time job on hold.

That's really been the only hitch.

• Like 5

Dd is doing well. Midterm grades were all A's. She will be registering for classes in a few weeks and is declaring a new major. It's a highly academic atmosphere. Somewhat of a stress culture in my opinion. She seems to be managing okay so far. She has 14 credit hours this semester and will likely have 17 or 18 next semester. Socially, her school seems to be a good fit. She is considering sorority rush next semester. She will be home for Thanksgiving in a few weeks, then finals, and then she'll be working over winter break.  

• Like 7

Ds is doing well. He is balancing the heavy workload demands while carving out time for social activities and sleep. He went camping this weekend in the mountains of New Hampshire with some of his classmates.

He has always been a huge sports fanatic and has found his tribe at his school. (He even managed to get enrolled in an English class that focuses on sports.)

He is playing IM basketball and quarterbacking his IM football team. He suffered a major injury his junior year of high school that required surgery and over a year of rehab. The doctor told him that even with the surgery and rehab, it was possible he would not be able to throw again. That was a really rough time. I am so thankful that the surgery was a success and he is able to participate in activities that he loves.

• Like 9

Five A's and B. The B is in German and the instructor is tough. He is enjoying it though, and we've always told the kids that a hard earned B or C in a tough class with a demanding instructor is worth more, educationally speaking, than an easy A. He's happy with it.

The sad thing is that chorale is not open to Freshmen in the second semester. They are going to be doing some competitive singing so only upperclassmen music majors an be in it next year. He loved chorale this semester so was very disappointed. The instructor isn't happy because he is a VERY good tenor, and sight reads difficult parts easily, but the head of the music department won't budge.

His winter semester looks like English 212, Comp Sci 175, Introduction to Theater (this is to make up for not getting credit in chorale next semester since he needs 4 credits of Fine Arts for his B.A.), German 112, Introduction to Music (taking this as an elective and I suspect it will be an easy class for him having taken music theory and music history from yours truly, LOL). 17 credit hours total. He'll take Calculus in the spring semester (May/June) so that he has his pre-requisites for the other programming courses in his comp sci minor. He is not taking a summer semester course. I think that's wise. It's good to have a break. He'll end the 2015/16 year with 35 credits. He going to take a comparable load next year but with two spring term courses for six credits, and then do the same junior year. If the scheduling works out, hard to say if it will, he may graduate early. However, I am not pushing that though because I don't want him to be too pressured and not enjoy school. He has loved it this semester, and our honorary daughter, you took 18 credit hours per semester plus summer courses so she could graduate in three years ended up with some stress and anxiety related illnesses as well as sleep deprivation.

His leg is hurting him right now. We've a sudden drastic change in weather with big temperature drops. It takes a few days for his leg to adjust so he is limping which makes me worried. It is hard not to worry.

So far though, it has been a great first semester of college.

• Like 5

Everything's going well so far. Time is flying by so fast. Hard to believe that first quarter is almost over. Midterms are done and ds will be choosing his second quarter classes this week. He's doing well academically and likes all of his classes and professors. They also have a weekly lecture series open to the public that is given by an invited mathematician which he goes to when he can.

The summer internships that interest him only run for about eight weeks so he thought if he got one of those, he could then work as an Uber driver when it ends. Um, no, not with our car or your lead foot. Thankfully, Uber drivers have to be 21 (still too young, IMO) so now he has to make a Plan B.

Socially, he's having a lot of fun, maybe too much, but is juggling everything well. Still likes chess and recently brought his saxophone back to school to play for fun but they won't let him use the practice rooms if he's not taking a class. He's going to try to take a music class next quarter so he can play for fun.

We see him about once a week, usually Sundays for lunch, so that is very nice.  :)

Congrats and good wishes to all of our freshmen!

• Like 4

Ds is doing well, mostly. He's adjusted and is learning about pushing due dates.  :toetap05:

His mid term grades were as expected in two classes, better than I expected in one and on pace in another. He met with his advisor, who gave him some good information on majors. He's considering trying to transfer to engineering school after next year. 

The best news is we found out one of the faculty is putting together a trip abroad next summer to Japan. We had already been planning on having him try to go to Japan next summer anyway. We have no details yet.

• Like 7

My daughter is doing well in classes.  She is super excited though because she feels like she finally figured out a major - well, actually two majors and a minor. She can now hardly wait to figure out her schedule; she had been dragging her feet. At this time, she wants to major in Exercise Science and Nutrition, and minor in psychology.  I am grateful she is excited about a course of action (even if it changes).

• Like 3

The kid is good, but now is tired, crabby and sleep-deprived. He survived pinkeye. Classes are great, but not what he loves. He is looking for a double major, and his current classes are not in that category. So for next semester he is loading up with lit classes, which he misses and loves. Joined rugby --"I need to do something that is not reading and writing and talking" and he loved that, which is hilarious to us because he was non-team-sports guy. He spends a lot of time talking to profs and seniors as they are more likely to 'get' him. He needs a B+ average to get into the film program in sophomore year, so he is meticulous about calculating his grades. He bombed the archaeology midterm, which really discouraged him, even after he sought out extra credit. Then he talked to the seniors in his class and found out no one did well on the midterm, the teacher is known for lectures and readings that do not cover what is on the quizzes and tests. THEN he talked to the prof, and found out that the midterm actually does not count for much, that he still has 50% of the grade to go, and it will all be papers and group projects, which is what he is really really good at. So he is feeling less crabby. He misses the dogs. It will be good for him to come home next week.

• Like 4