Menu

2e dyslexic child #2 advice

I just had my daughter evaluated and I am a little stumped with the results. Can anyone here help me figure out what is going on?

In short she has been through 10 levels of Barton and has a VIQ of 140. She reads well and from what I can tell understands what she is reading even with fairly complicated texts (high school level).

Her reading comprehension tested at the 2nd grade level. So I am a little perplexed at what is going on. Is this maybe an attention issue? Should I request any more tests? 

The ed psych confirms that this is dyslexia like my oldest, but I am having trouble seeing how she can have such low reading comprehension  scores when she seemingly reads so well. 

Also one more follow up...what do I do to help her at this point?

Thanks so much for your help!

Is she still skipping the little words? How does she do when reading aloud to you?

My youngest has a virtually identical profile and reading comprehension when heard aloud (not read by him) is phenomenal, but he still misses little words and pieces ('s, plurals, articles, etc.) when reading himself that drastically impact his reading comprehension. His decoding level in isolation is quite high, but missing all those little pieces compounds to impact the overall reading comprehension. Is it possible that could be a piece of the puzzle? 

We are working on some sentence tracking books this year to slow him down a bit to look at each word in the sentence in order.

What tests did they do to measure reading comprehension?  Actually, what tests did they do in general?

How old is she? 

I'll have to get the specifics. I haven't had the official meeting She is 10. 

Is she still skipping the little words? How does she do when reading aloud to you?

My youngest has a virtually identical profile and reading comprehension when heard aloud (not read by him) is phenomenal, but he still misses little words and pieces ('s, plurals, articles, etc.) when reading himself that drastically impact his reading comprehension. His decoding level in isolation is quite high, but missing all those little pieces compounds to impact the overall reading comprehension. Is it possible that could be a piece of the puzzle? 

We are working on some sentence tracking books this year to slow him down a bit to look at each word in the sentence in order.

That could be it. She reads ok loud but here's the weird thing when she reads silently to herself and we talk about books she really seems to know what she is doing. I am wondering if she was overthinking the questions. I'll have to get all the specifics and come back when i know more. 

• Like 1

Did the psych do language testing like the CELF?  A psych or SLP can do it.  My ds has comprehension issues on top of the dyslexia, but he has an ASD label complicating things, which is the explanation Barton gave me.  He has poor scores on specific sections of the CELF.  Those sections are affected by EF (executive function) because EF involves meta-linguistics, noticing the bits.  So metacognition, meta-linguistics, etc. are under the EF.  

So yes, you need some testing to help you determine if it is a visualization thing (LMB V/V), a language issue (CELF, an SLP eval) or what.  Did she get an ADHD diagnosis?  Meds?  I'm just asking.  I don't know if those would affect comprehension by bumping EF or not.

With the 'reading comprehension test', was this done reading silently to herself ? Or reading out loud?

If it was done 'reading out loud'?

Studies have shown that most people have little comprehension of what they read out loud.

So that a valid test of comprehension, needs to use silent reading.

• 3 weeks later...

Turns out you were absolutely right. It was an aural reading test. Still waiting to see the report in writing. Sounds like its going to be interesting. She is very much like her brother but tends towards auditory processing problems where his were more visual processing. Love those creative 2e dyslexics they keep you on the ball. 

• Like 2

What sentence tracking books are you using?  I would be interested in resources like that.

The 'missing little words' thing for my DD is all about the amount of work she is doing to decode.  I didn't believe that until I had her read a number of mixed real word/nonsense words sentences (from a program recommended by ElizabethB).  

example:  The froot blarted at the migby grell.

As far as the sentence tracking -- I have Ms. Kratoville's Limerick book and I think it works the same.  The limerick is on top in full, then below it is mixed in with other words and you have to find each word of the limerick in order.    I did a lot of this type of work with my DD when I believed missing little words and losing her place was all about eye tracking.   Never helped here. 

• Like 1

The 'missing little words' thing for my DD is all about the amount of work she is doing to decode.  I didn't believe that until I had her read a number of mixed real word/nonsense words sentences (from a program recommended by ElizabethB).  

example:  The froot blarted at the migby grell.

Where do you get this kind of thing? I would love to have a resource for this. We do read some poetry--the syntax plus unfamiliar words are a big deal here. 

Interestingly enough 2e child # 1 had all sorts of visual problems but 2e child # 2 seems to be a completely (well not exactly completely) different animal. She seems to be more of a typical visual spacial child with auditory processing problems that make her seem like she has attention issues (I don't believe she does). Anyone know what you can do to help a dyslexic child with auditory processing issues. I am totally having to switch gears here since my #1 had almost a perfect auditory memory so I could just throw a ton of teaching company lectures at him and he was good to go. 

I'd like two things #1 to figure out some really awesome thing that plays to her strengths. And some sneaky little thing that I can slip in there to help her get better at listening. Any ideas?

Yes, it is just as Laughing Cat described. Both of my kids have had diagnosed tracking issues in the past, so I know that part of their issues with line & word skipping actually are about tracking, which is why we find the books helpful. YMMV.

Just a point to ponder -- my DD was also diagnosed with tracking issues (by her COVD) -- but standard tracking exercises had little to no affect.     I only bring this up again because I was sure for a long time that the word skipping was tracking -- and it turned out I was wrong.    It wasn't just word skipping either, it was losing her place, skipping lines -- all stuff that seemed very clearly to be tracking and not related at all to decoding ... but apparently it was the amount of work she was doing to decode that was the real problem.

The thing is - I was having DD do these types of exercises and they weren't helping, but I kept her doing them anyway because they were supposed to help and then I was told by VT that the problem was I needed to do them even more.    So far -- the two areas where I have done that on repeated advice (these and repeated readings) -- just doing it 'even more' when it had already been done regularly with no improvement was a waste of time.     OTOH along those lines -- I have found some programs that showed clear improvement where I needed her to keep doing them 'even more' past even what the program suggested.  The difference being whether improvement is seen or not IMO.  

Just offered as food for thought -- not meant as commentary on these exercises in particular.   Because of course every kid is different and if it is working... then keep doing it :hurray:

The 'missing little words' thing for my DD is all about the amount of work she is doing to decode. I didn't believe that until I had her read a number of mixed real word/nonsense words sentences (from a program recommended by ElizabethB).

example: The froot blarted at the migby grell.

As far as the sentence tracking -- I have Ms. Kratoville's Limerick book and I think it works the same. The limerick is on top in full, then below it is mixed in with other words and you have to find each word of the limerick in order. I did a lot of this type of work with my DD when I believed missing little words and losing her place was all about eye tracking. Never helped here.

To clarify, your DD tracking is difficult with difficult decoding? Or expected reading? I'm not understanding well but I'm trying too :)

Just a point to ponder -- my DD was also diagnosed with tracking issues (by her COVD) -- but standard tracking exercises had little to no affect.     I only bring this up again because I was sure for a long time that the word skipping was tracking -- and it turned out I was wrong.    It wasn't just word skipping either, it was losing her place, skipping lines -- all stuff that seemed very clearly to be tracking and not related at all to decoding ... but apparently it was the amount of work she was doing to decode that was the real problem.

The thing is - I was having DD do these types of exercises and they weren't helping, but I kept her doing them anyway because they were supposed to help and then I was told by VT that the problem was I needed to do them even more.    So far -- the two areas where I have done that on repeated advice (these and repeated readings) -- just doing it 'even more' when it had already been done regularly with no improvement was a waste of time.     OTOH along those lines -- I have found some programs that showed clear improvement where I needed her to keep doing them 'even more' past even what the program suggested.  The difference being whether improvement is seen or not IMO.  

Just offered as food for thought -- not meant as commentary on these exercises in particular.   Because of course every kid is different and if it is working... then keep doing it :hurray:

Yes, and just to confirm, they actually did work for us. I had our 2nd COVD fellow, who is fabulous, confirm that the tracking exercises fixed ds's particular issues and the tracking was holding so they do work for some kids. :) I realize that might not be the case for every student, but for us at least there was an actual eye issue that has been helped by some sentence tracking work.

To clarify, your DD tracking is difficult with difficult decoding? Or expected reading? I'm not understanding well but I'm trying too :)

I'm not sure I understand your question?

To describe what I thought was a tracking problem for my DD -- she would skip little words, lose her place, skip lines, repeating sections of words  etc (also add letters, delete letters, transpose letters -- although I related this more to her having the same problem when speaking).   This would happen much more with difficult for her reading, but would still happen even on relatively easy for her reading (3-5 letter words).    I'm pretty sure ElizabethB suggested numerous times that I should be looking at decoding/nonsense words -- but I dismissed that -- she was reading quite hard words with no problem, just these 'glitches' of skipping the little words etc (and enough glitches that her 'independent' reading level has always been 3+ years below her 'instructional' level).   Then at one point where I posted asking for advice, ElizabethB suggested reading little words mixed with nonsense words and pointed me to that We All Can Read site -- and reading those 'easy' nonsense words her number of little word mistakes jumped up to the same level as she had reading passages at the top of her instructional level -- even though she was able to read the nonsense words perfectly.   Which is when I realized what I was calling a tracking difficulty was really a decoding difficulty --- too much processing space taken up by decoding the hard words, leaving little to none to deal with tracking and little words. 

FWIW DD scored about half her age on the number reading test our COVD used to test tracking back when I first started trying to do something about her reading 'difficulty'.  However when I finally did the NP recently -- it turns out DD has a RAN of 8% and working memory of 10%-- both of which would obviously affect number reading (not to even throw her equally low phonological scores into the mix). 

• Like 2

LCAT, did you get my dot and number files I posted a while back?  You can use them to work on RAN/RAS.  

I did :)

I haven't tried to work with RAN/RAS yet though.   Before it was only a little bit on my radar (as a possibility but not a for sure problem) and now I am kind of easing DD (and myself) into the idea that she will be doing a number of things she will consider 'going backwards'.

I'm not sure I understand your question?

To describe what I thought was a tracking problem for my DD -- she would skip little words, lose her place, skip lines, repeating sections of words etc (also add letters, delete letters, transpose letters -- although I related this more to her having the same problem when speaking). This would happen much more with difficult for her reading, but would still happen even on relatively easy for her reading (3-5 letter words). I'm pretty sure ElizabethB suggested numerous times that I should be looking at decoding/nonsense words -- but I dismissed that -- she was reading quite hard words with no problem, just these 'glitches' of skipping the little words etc (and enough glitches that her 'independent' reading level has always been 3+ years below her 'instructional' level). Then at one point where I posted asking for advice, ElizabethB suggested reading little words mixed with nonsense words and pointed me to that We All Can Read site -- and reading those 'easy' nonsense words her number of little word mistakes jumped up to the same level as she had reading passages at the top of her instructional level -- even though she was able to read the nonsense words perfectly. Which is when I realized what I was calling a tracking difficulty was really a decoding difficulty --- too much processing space taken up by decoding the hard words, leaving little to none to deal with tracking and little words.

FWIW DD scored about half her age on the number reading test our COVD used to test tracking back when I first started trying to do something about her reading 'difficulty'. However when I finally did the NP recently -- it turns out DD has a RAN of 8% and working memory of 10%-- both of which would obviously affect number reading (not to even throw her equally low phonological scores into the mix).

Thanks for the clarification! My DS sounds very similar. I've had three different vision results by different providers and we're looking into VT maybe now that other diagnoses are being addressed.