Menu

What's with the ads?

Kinsa

Long-term homeschoolers: Do you ever just want to be DONE?!?

I'm in my 15th year of homeschooling.  (Or something like that.  I lost count.  LOL)

I just really want to be done.  I'm tired.  I've been doing this a long time.  I've taken kids from preschool into college.

And yet I still have ten more years to go.  *thud*

Someone be my Aaron and Hur and hold up my arms for me.  (LOL)

ETA:  Maybe I just ought to go take a long nap.  (LOL)

• Like 10

Oldest is 12.  This is year 8.  I had to count.

I feel very much done with the tween years, VERY much. This is not my idea of fun.  

• Like 5

Yes.  I put them in public school for a year.  By mid-year I pulled the little two back out.  The older two chose to come back home at the end of the year.  Public school was a whole lot of work.  I joke that something had to give and that something was public school because homeschooling was easier.  It's not really a joke.

• Like 4

I believe that's a normal feeling. I had it quite a bit after the twins were born this year (every new baby resets the timer to 18 more years of homeschooling). I'm only 8 years in.

• Like 3

I believe that's a normal feeling. I had it quite a bit after the twins were born this year (every new baby resets the timer to 18 more years of homeschooling). I'm only 8 years in.

That sounds like a really really long time when you put it like that...

• Like 9

YES.

We began our sixth year(a very short time in comparison to others) about a month ago and I'm already burnt out.  I have only one (Aspie) and my hat is off to homeschool moms who teach multiples.

• Like 1

Yes. Two more years here (youngest through 8th grade, then she's off to public high school). What's really wearing me out is school all day, then another 8 hour shift of driving kids to activities, getting dinner ready, more driving, getting disabled dd down for the night. At least when youngest is in high school I'll have the early part of the day off.

• Like 2

Mostly I am just tired of being tired. Today my adult Aspie had about 5 major meltdowns. I am 100% parented out right now. I'm glad days end and there are tomorrows.

• Like 8

10 years in, which is unbelievable. We are very likely not hsing for high school, so I'm down to my last 2 or 3 years. I really don't know what I feel. Very ready to be done, but also wish I could do it all over again. Mostly ready to be done, though.

• Like 3

Yes, and this is only our 6th year. But really I think I'm just beat down from the super long days (dh works crazy hours) and trying to run a business and work part time and homeschool and the second shift of parenting after school is over. I'm just always exhausted.

• Like 3

I'm 21 years in, too.  And honestly, no I don't ever wish I was done.  I truly do love it, even on days that are less than stellar.  It can be a bit of a challenge on occasion, since I also work full time (from 4:15 pm until 1:45 am), but I still enjoy it and am committed.  I'm on my last child, and he's starting the high school years on Tuesday (and those are my favorite years to homeschool), and I couldn't be more excited to start!!

• Like 12

I feel if I can just get my oldest through high school, things will get so much easier!  This is year 12 for me.  This year, I have 10th, 8th, 6th, 3rd and 1st.  It's a good day when the younger three are finished with math by 8am, and I can get the oldest to finish SOMETHING by that time.

Of course, when oldest DS exits high school...middle DS begins (and so far, he makes oldest DS look like a cake-walk).  Thank the Lord for my girls ;)

• Like 1

I've been homeschooling for 29 years with 9 years to go.  Yes.  Sometimes I'd like to be done - with things that I don't enjoy such as lesson plans.  However, I can't remember life without it. ; )

• Like 7

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Fifteen years is a looooooooooooooooooooooooong time.  I know.  It's our fifteenth year, lol.

The baby is only one and, I admit it, I really wondered yesterday afternoon if I'd want to homeschool him all by his little self when he's in high school?  

You know, if I were you, I think you should take stock and write yourself a congratulatory letter.  Frankly this homeschooling thing, even though sometimes it's weary, has worked well for our family and I think THAT is really important to remember.

I will tell you I'm taking online classes this year.  I think I needed to do something else.  Not stop homeschooling! Just something else in addition to so that I am a little content... Like *I* am moving forward too, not just staying stagnant.  Let's face it, at this point you know who you are as a homeschooling mom.  The merry adventure of research and spending a fortune on Adventures in Curriculum is fading.  So what's there to light you up?  It needs to be something.

Lately I've been listening to more podcasts.  I've found them encouraging me on to do those "worthwhile" things with the  younger set that I did with the Big Kid group, kwim?  

Do know that last year I really struggled with weariness.  This year is a new season and I'm feeling refreshed again.  So even though you are weary now, it is still only for a season and will pass too.  (I was very worried that the weariness was my new "normal" from doing it for so long.) I'm grateful to say I'm actually looking forward to this year which is flat out crazy for me after last year.

• Like 8

I will tell you I'm taking online classes this year.  I think I needed to do something else.  Not stop homeschooling! Just something else in addition to so that I am a little content... Like *I* am moving forward too, not just staying stagnant.  Let's face it, at this point you know who you are as a homeschooling mom.  The merry adventure of research and spending a fortune on Adventures in Curriculum is fading.  So what's there to light you up?  It needs to be something.

Lately I've been listening to more podcasts.  I've found them encouraging me on to do those "worthwhile" things with the  younger set that I did with the Big Kid group, kwim?  

Do know that last year I really struggled with weariness.  This year is a new season and I'm feeling refreshed again.  So even though you are weary now, it is still only for a season and will pass too.  (I was very worried that the weariness was my new "normal" from doing it for so long.) I'm grateful to say I'm actually looking forward to this year which is flat out crazy for me after last year.

This is only yr 7 for me, I think it was the summer before year 6 IIRC that I was feeling all done and I seriously considered sending them to school but I couldn't get past the idea of it. I didn't hardly even plan that summer as I just couldn't make myself do it, we just jumped in and figured it out as we went. A lot of it was just fatigue, being sick with Hashi's and a baby that didn't sleep and a body that was wore out. The sleep deprivation takes such a toll. I can't imagine perpetually having new babies and never sleeping my body has already cried uncle. I admire those that have made it so long already, kudos to you, you are under appreciated, this is hard work!

Now this year I feel revived and happier than ever with our schooling. Perhaps it is just the swing of the pendulum but I think it doesn't hurt that I'm feeling better and sleeping more. I also had a bit of an identity crisis and decided that I needed to start now finding things for me to do on my own, I wasn't going to wait another 16 yrs or so to follow my own dreams, so I did (my big thing has been Aerial Silks and recently art)

I think it is too easy to neglect ourselves, we can easily give everything we have to our kids and some days they just take it all, one way or another. 

I hope everyone gets the rest (physical and mental) that they need, along with some encouragement.

• Like 2

I had my last child when I was 48, pretty much guaranteeing I'll be homeschooling 'til I die, but I do enjoy it and can't imagine any other way of life at this point.  I do take each year (each day, really) one at a time and utilize lots of little tricks & treats to keep me going! 

• Like 3

I had my last child when I was 48, pretty much guaranteeing I'll be homeschooling 'til I die, but I do enjoy it and can't imagine any other way of life at this point. I do take each year (each day, really) one at a time and utilize lots of little tricks & treats to keep me going!

I hope not!!! I had my youngest at 44 and I hope that I'm around longer than that! (There is a 21 yr span between my oldest and youngest as well. ;) )

• Like 2

I hope not!!! I had my youngest at 44 and I hope that I'm around longer than that! (There is a 21 yr span between my oldest and youngest as well. ;) )

I'm mostly exaggerating when I say that...or at least, I HOPE I am!   :w00t:

• Like 4

I could have written your post, lol. This is year 15 for me too. My youngest is 2nd grade, so 10 years to go. I try to remind myself that it's a marathon, not a sprint. 😆

• Like 2

I try not to think about it....

Oldest is in 10th grade (so if you count Kindy, we are entering year 11), youngest is in 2nd. That puts us only at the halfway mark........

I am mostly tired of teaching reading. Oldest is dyslexic, youngest is dyslexic. I feel like I have been teaching reading for the last decade. Thank goodness the middle one can read and write!

• Like 3

This is related, but if you all want a separate thread, speak up.

Who has homeschooled her/his children and now has an adult child homeschooling (or planning to do so) his/her own child(ren)?

My eldest, who turns twenty-nine this November, long insisted that he never would homeschool any future children of his. . . .  He and his wife are firmly committed to homeschooling their children.  Only one child thus far, about to  turn two this month. 

Over to you all. . .

• Like 2

Who has homeschooled her/his children and now has an adult child homeschooling (or planning to do so) his/her own child(ren)?

I'm the adult child who was homeschooled.  I'm homeschooling my own.

• Like 3

I had my last child when I was 48, pretty much guaranteeing I'll be homeschooling 'til I die, but I do enjoy it and can't imagine any other way of life at this point. I do take each year (each day, really) one at a time and utilize lots of little tricks & treats to keep me going!

Hats off to you! Had my youngest almost a year ago at 38yrs old, and there are some days I am so wiped out!
  • Like 2

Hats off as well. Had youngest at 38 and there are days I just don't have the energy for him and homeschooling
  • Like 1

I'm the adult child who was homeschooled. I'm homeschooling my own.

My 10yr old dd was planning her curriculum the other day. Not for next year, or for highschool...it was for her kids when she becomes a homeschooling mom :)
  • Like 9

Yes.  I put them in public school for a year.  By mid-year I pulled the little two back out.  The older two chose to come back home at the end of the year.  Public school was a whole lot of work.  I joke that something had to give and that something was public school because homeschooling was easier.  It's not really a joke.

This is always good to keep in mind.  Sort of ridiculous to compare, but we did mother's day out for a semester, thinking it would give me more time, and it really was just one more thing to get to and made things more difficult.  I'm assuming I would feel the same way with school.  

• Like 3

Going on year 10, but still feel like a homeschool newbie in so many ways because it is our first year of high school and hopefully the last time I'll do kindergarten and every kid throws me a new curve.

So, theoretically, only 12 more years to go after this one! So, in two more years, I'll be just over half done, right? Hm. I think I'll throw myself a party. ;-)

• Like 1

We're in year #19 with three more years to go. Some days I can't wait for the youngest to finish. Other days I wish I could start all over again.

• Like 3

I'm beginning year ...let me add it up...  year 12.

And I have about 13 to go.  So, halfway!

• Like 2

My 10yr old dd was planning her curriculum the other day. Not for next year, or for highschool...it was for her kids when she becomes a homeschooling mom :)

This is hilarious!   :lol:

• Like 2

I'm in my 15th year of homeschooling. (Or something like that. I lost count. LOL)

I just really want to be done. I'm tired. I've been doing this a long time. I've taken kids from preschool into college.

And yet I still have ten more years to go. *thud*

Someone be my Aaron and Hur and hold up my arms for me. (LOL)

ETA: Maybe I just ought to go take a long nap. (LOL)

no advice, but I am surely holding your arms up:-)
  • Like 1

Yes and no. I completly understand the feeling. If only I could be done with phonics. I'm sick of phonics and don't see an end in site.

I'm done having babies and though I'm glad I don't have to chase toddlers or babysit unless I adopt I'm also sorry that this big chunk of my life is just gone and wish I could hold a baby again.

I'd be so glad to be done with phonics but not watching the kids climb trees or going on adventures with them. Too bad I couldn't be done with one but not the other. It seems too fast that my oldest is looking at jobs and dual enrollment and growing sideburns.

A good nights sleep does make a big difference.

• Like 2

Every day.  This is year 10 for me and over the past year, I have gone back to work full time working third shift.  I long to be over but I have 6 years left.  Youngest dd may go to school next year which would mean I only have 4 left.  If only.   

• Like 1

I've got one of those too.  She used to make up daily schedules for her baby dolls. :blush:  :wub:

• Like 3

Only year 12 here. 

Not really. Homeschooling is pretty smooth here. I mean, I'm looking forward to new adventures ( and a pay check! ) in the next 5 years, but otherwise, I'm good.

• Like 1

Nine years homeschooling. Holy cow. Time flies.

I could never keep up the kinds of schedules you all do. You guys are freakin' rock stars.

• Like 3

My dd did this through high school.  Now she collects really beautiful childrens' books with the reasoning that she will use them to homeschool her kids.

It would be "adorable" except that she is half way through college, so it's more serious than cute. ;)  I think she will homeschool and I suspect my oldest DS will as well.

• Like 3