Menu

What's with the ads?

myblessings4

Ideas Needed For Teaching Spanish

Dd13 wants to learn Spanish. Finally! We've dabbled in Spanish and Latin, but never purchased a whole Spanish program. Hit me with your favorite ideas and programs, please!!

Thank you!!

Something quick and easy is Getting Started with Spanish.  There is also a Getting Started with Latin.  You'll find these are very popular on TWTM, and they are also affordable.

Beyond that, there are several names you'll see over and over if you do any kind of Spanish search. Some are

:

Breaking the Spanish Barrier

So You Really Want to Learn Spanish- The Spanish of Spain, I think.

Alpha Omega Life Pacs

Plimseur Spanish

Visual Link Spanish- computer based

Several are online programs that I can't come up with.

Spanish is a popular topic.  Typing this into search will produce more than plenty to get you started researching.

I like the Avancemos program from Holt.  They have an extensive online companion site that is free! Includes complete audio files for the textbook (but not the online textbook), videos, quizzes, flashcards w/audio, and workbook-type exercises including conjugations to practice the lessons. The book itself is available used for less than $10. It is a high school program, but is adaptable to a middle schooler covering the first course in 2 years of 4 units each instead of 8. Here is a link to the site: http://www.classzone.com/cz/books/avancemos_1/book_home.htm

On 9/6/2015 at 10:46 AM, J&JMom said:

They have an extensive online companion site that is free!

I haven't ordered the used textbook from Amazon yet, but can't seem to access the online teacher's portion without a teacher's access code. Does anyone know how to purchase just the online access code?

If she is OK with silly, Ana Lomba’s CDs are basically chikdren’s Movement songs and games in Spanish. They are a pretty good way to get a lot of vocabulary familiarity quickly and internalize verb tenses. DD also liked watching tv shows in Spanish-and, again, the preschool ones are a good way to learn lots of vocabulary. 

I like whole language approach before getting into grammar...depending on your kids age.  I would recommend using a simple children's book and focusing on target words.  One book a year.  Last year for my 1st grader we did The Very Hungry Caterpillar, may out there at the library in Spanish!  Also letting him listen to the story in Spanish.  I also have days where we have target vocabulary similiar to the Gouin method if familiar with that to work on verbs and then corresponding sentences.  https://cherrydalepress.com/?page_id=15  Also would include songs and rhymes for him to learn youtube has many good ones!  HTH 🙂

On 8/8/2019 at 2:46 PM, SaDonna said:

I haven't ordered the used textbook from Amazon yet, but can't seem to access the online teacher's portion without a teacher's access code. Does anyone know how to purchase just the online access code?

Houghton-Mifflin looks like they have a "contact us" page for homeschools, that might be the best place to start.

ETA: I did find access codes for Anne Arundel schools online. Surely those are not intended to be publicly viewable.

Edited by SusanC
Amazement at how much stuff is out there in the ether.

I haven't taught it with a curriculum yet, but check whether your library has a good stock of Spanish editions for familiar children's or YA books (Harry Potter, etc.). That can be a great way to implicitly pick up vocabulary, grammar, how expressions are translated, etc. once she's learned the basics from a curriculum--- or even as she's learning, depending how much you've dabbled. Have fun. 🙂

I personally would go with something like Homeschool Spanish Academy that really provides practice with speaking and understanding Spanish, as I think those are by far the most important and difficult skills to master.

For that age, Duolingo and Memrise....and then when she's been doing it a while get her somewhere she can use it (visit a Spanish speaking church, join a Spanish club, plan a little trip to Mexico, find someone who speaks it and ask them to come play uno with you and speak only Spanish...something!).

I've taken Spanish myself for a long time so I wasn't aware of how it was for a newbie, but I just doubled up on those two before a trip to France and two months of doing those nearly every day, and I could get by (not fluently speak it by any means, but I got enough that I could use a little...and that's made me motivated to stay with it now that I'm back.   Nothing like actually getting a chance to use it to motivate you.