Menu

FX theater make up as a course?

I am a long time homeschooler..but this will be my first year where I have a high schooler. (the rest went to PS) This particular daughter(14) is not a scholar..She does ok with general studies, but struggles.  However, she is pretty fantastic when it comes to creating incredibly lifelike wounds, scales, ripped out eyes, bullet wounds etc.  She watches some csi and learned that clues come from the damage to the body, and will spend hours researching the proper blood splatter, bone structure etc, in order for her finished wound to look as realistic as possible.  What she can create with geletin and paper towels is crazy!  And when giving a FX  make up kit last Christmas she really began to do some amazing things.  (False tongues, severed foot..etc. )  I have often had to look away and ask her not to show the rest of the kids.  In any case.  There are no opportunities around our rural area for her to have training in this "art" if it can be called that?  Can I turn this time that she spends in to a course?  What would I need to do? Also, I am trying to keep her away from the demonic, evil type of work at this age. lol..Southern Baptist teen gifted in demonic artistry..yikes..  Thank you ..I can post a picture of one of her "injuries" if I am allowed?

How cool! I would love to see some of her creations. Maybe have her study forensic science as one of her science credits and keep the artistic affects listed as a hobby. It seems that colleges like to see extended work and advancement in an area of interest. Maybe if there are no opportunities nearby for her, she could create all of her own pieces for a haunted house attraction. Let her set it up, advertise, and run it. Any admission charged goes back into her hobby and/or for a bigger and better display next year.

Thank you ladies.  Wasn't thinking about the extended/outside work idea.  I will look up the Alien Think class..I have looked up some CSI type classes and they are pretty pricey..But I could plan ahead for next year. 

Thank you ladies.  Wasn't thinking about the extended/outside work idea.  I will look up the Alien Think class..I have looked up some CSI type classes and they are pretty pricey..But I could plan ahead for next year. 

I have found some units online from high schools with listings of their plans for CSI type classes.  Also, this link has some.  https://www.teachengineering.org/whyk12engr.php

A class like that locally would be wonderful.  I am thinking of taking her over to the local university and see if they might let her spend some time with the make up department of the theater.  My older daughter worked in their wardrobe/costuming and could maybe pave the way:) here are a couple of her projects.  She tends to randomly exit her room with some form of painful looking wound...yuck  My 17 year old son can't even look at her sometimes..haha

post-5375-0-01196700-1441462181_thumb.jpegpost-5375-0-02576800-1441462196_thumb.jpeg

Yes, she is very interested.  Did your son choose something similar as a career?  I am wondering how much opportunity there is for younger kids to participate in programs.  She has never talked to anyone who actually has constructive ideas.  She just gets ideas from looking things up.  She is extremely excited about doing a huge project as an elective in the art category.. IT would be nice to even have an online environment where she can get constructive criticism.