Menu

English help!!

Jessiepage

This is for those that use Rod and Staff English. We are in grade 2 and right now I am using rod and staff along with daily 6 trait writing. But I'm wondering if I'm overdoing it with writing since writing is covered in Rod and Staff. At what point do you add writing to rod and staff? Thanks!!

If your DC is actually writing out the answers in R&S, yes, adding 6 Trait is overkill. If you're doing R&S orally, you should probably add a separate writing book.

We've never done just R&S for writing. The composition lessons in later volumes *are* solid, they're just very uninspiring for my kids, and we prefer more "classical" writing. My 2nd graders would be doing daily copywork taken from good literature.

This is for those that use Rod and Staff English. We are in grade 2 and right now I am using rod and staff along with daily 6 trait writing. But I'm wondering if I'm overdoing it with writing since writing is covered in Rod and Staff. At what point do you add writing to rod and staff? Thanks!!

It is never necessary to add writing to Rod and Staff.

I would probably not do it with a 7yo, though. :-)

Third grade and up, it's dry but excellent...as long as you require your dc to actually write the assignments. IMHO, you really don't get the most out of it if you do it orally.

It is never necessary to add writing to Rod and Staff.

I would probably not do it with a 7yo, though. :-)

Third grade and up, it's dry but excellent...as long as you require your dc to actually write the assignments. IMHO, you really don't get the most out of it if you do it orally.

I think it really depends on how "orally" is handled? I am very strict, requiring them to tell me the answer as if they were writing it, including punctuation marks and all. It has really helped them with their writing skills. Oh, and we do write the sentence diagrams and of course some of the writing assignments. Doing part of the lesson orally has helped my kids a lot!

I think it really depends on how "orally" is handled? I am very strict, requiring them to tell me the answer as if they were writing it, including punctuation marks and all. It has really helped them with their writing skills. Oh, and we do write the sentence diagrams and of course some of the writing assignments. Doing part of the lesson orally has helped my kids a lot!

My teens did R&S 5-8 primarily orally, like you described, with diagrams on a wide board. It worked fabulously and their grammar skills were rock solid. :) Personally I felt the instant correction preventing learning it wrong and on demand reteaching outweighed any benefit lost by not writing it all out.

My teens did R&S 5-8 primarily orally, like you described, with diagrams on a wide board. It worked fabulously and their grammar skills were rock solid. :) Personally I felt the instant correction preventing learning it wrong and on demand reteaching outweighed any benefit lost by not writing it all out.

Yeah! Works better for us too. And when they have to tell me what's capitalized, where a comma or a period goes etc seems to help them quite a bit. I also ask them to spell out a word when I am not too sure they have the right answer (past tenses, homophones etc)...has helped with spelling skills too :)