Menu

KY clerk refuses to issue marriage licenses

Moxie

This is ridiculous.  (as if it were not already)  I even agree with the woman's basic viewpoint.  But if I worked in government and had the ability to do so, one can believe without question that I would fire her from her job faster than one can spell the word "fire".  She can work for her beliefs effectively via other means.  Instead, she simply makes a spectacle of herself -- deliberately and relentlessly. 

• Like 4

So much for a deeply held belief. If I really believed God said "No!" to a certain thing (and I do think those things exist) there is no way someone could force me to do it. If this was really a deep belief for her, she'd quit.

• Like 13

Normally I like to comment only on the political, not religious aspect of it. But man.

"I want the whole world to know ... If any [deputy clerk] feels that they must issue an unauthorized license to avoid being thrown in jail, I understand their tough choice, and I will take no action against them. However, any unauthorized license that they issue will not have my name, my title or my authority on it. Instead, the license will state that they are issued pursuant to a federal court order."

She really needs to reread the New Testament. I cannot imagine any interpretation of Jesus that would approve of her actions.

• Like 6

Just curious...

Is there a provision for people who only want a church marriage and not a legal one? That would mean the church did not have to act as an agent of the state, but also the couple who didn't want a state-sanctioned marriage wouldn't be forced to get one. Some people have principles against any state involvement for the church and themselves as well.

Sure, that's called "Being single."

(less snarkily, many states have provisions for "common-law marriages".)

My position on this is pretty simple: Churches have no business being involved in marriage, since marriage is a fundamental human activity that existed long before religions came along and tried to ruin it.

• Like 4

Sure, that's called "Being single."

(less snarkily, many states have provisions for "common-law marriages".)

My position on this is pretty simple: Churches have no business being involved in marriage, since marriage is a fundamental human activity that existed long before religions came along and tried to ruin it.

I clarified later saying I was asking about Faith's church specifically.  :)

Unbelievable. She needs to resign.

Resigning means giving up her $80k a year plus benefits package. And of course her God wouldn't want her to do that, since she doesn't want to do that.

It's not about the will of God for Kim. It's about the will of Kim. She's not willing to do anymore than spend 4 nights in jail for her beliefs.

Someone compared her to Nelson Mandela and I was like "Mandela didn't give up for TWENTY SEVEN STRAIGHT YEARS". 4 nights =\= 27 years. Her supporters are suffering from delusions of grandeur.

• Like 20

Resigning means giving up her $80k a year plus benefits package. And of course her God wouldn't want her to do that, since she doesn't want to do that.

It's not about the will of God for Kim. It's about the will of Kim. She's not willing to do anymore than spend 4 nights in jail for her beliefs.

Someone compared her to Nelson Mandela and I was like "Mandela didn't give up for TWENTY SEVEN STRAIGHT YEARS". 4 nights =\= 27 years. Her supporters are suffering from delusions of grandeur.

I'm suddenly reminded of what Jesus said about rich men getting in to heaven.

• Like 8

It does seem odd that she of all people has emerged as the poster child for the opposition movement.  Surely there are better candidates out there for the role.

There was at least one SSM couple who was granted a license today by one of the deputies without interference; and the KY governor and Attorney General both issued statements that in their views the deputy-issued licenses will be considered valid despite Davis' claim that they are not.  So it may, from a legal perspective, have run its course.  (emoji for crossed fingers, please...)

• Like 7

If you were to remove that gratuitous sentence, I would back all the rest of your post.  I agree with you that she likely is too timid to suffer monetarily for her position.

• Like 1

If you were to remove that gratuitous sentence, I would back all the rest of your post. I agree with you that she likely is too timid to suffer monetarily for her position.

I think that Kim Davis is dressing her will, wishes, whims and wants up as the will of God. I think that's problematic from all angles. It's something a lot of people do. "God called me to...(insert whatever it is the person wanted to do anyways)". It's a really common problem.

• Like 10

She needs to just resign.  It's probably apparent to most on the board how I feel about this issue, but I have thought many times about this, and if I was in her position, I would resign.  She says she doesn't want the spotlight.  She's not acting in accordance with those words.

Like I said before, it's just not a good look.  Please stop.

• Like 2

And for anyone who thinks there aren't those who do "hate" homosexuals, I present to you:

http://www.advocate.com/politics/2015/9/18/north-carolina-mayoral-candidate-wants-eradicate-gays-cites-kim-davis

"In my administration I would do just like Mrs. Davis did in Kentucky," Holmes told the Kings Mountain Herald and Charlotte TV station WJZY. "If you elect me, I’ll uphold the law of the state of North Carolina. I would get the D.A. to swear out a warrant on any man who says he’s gay. Sodomy is a crime, a felony in the state of North Carolina."

"What’s wrong with eradicating homosexuals?" Holmes told the newspaper. 'We should jail them, throw them all in jail!"

And for anyone who thinks there aren't those who do "hate" homosexuals, I present to you:

http://www.advocate.com/politics/2015/9/18/north-carolina-mayoral-candidate-wants-eradicate-gays-cites-kim-davis

"In my administration I would do just like Mrs. Davis did in Kentucky," Holmes told the Kings Mountain Herald and Charlotte TV station WJZY. "If you elect me, I’ll uphold the law of the state of North Carolina. I would get the D.A. to swear out a warrant on any man who says he’s gay. Sodomy is a crime, a felony in the state of North Carolina."

"What’s wrong with eradicating homosexuals?" Holmes told the newspaper. 'We should jail them, throw them all in jail!"

He's not exactly mentally healthy.

• Like 2

The lawyer of the deputy who has been signing licenses says she has violated the judge's order not to interfere by removing her name and the county name from the forms.

(I thought her name had already been removed but there are so many conflicting reports I don't know which is correct.)

According to this article she has removed more than just her name since being let out of jail.  While in jail the deputy clerk just typed Rowan County where Kim Davis's name would go, since being released she has actually altered the forms.  Here is a picture of the new changes.  (In the past I linked a picture of one issued while she was in jail.)  A better explanation into the legalities is here.

• Like 2

According to this article she has removed more than just her name since being let out of jail.  While in jail the deputy clerk just typed Rowan County where Kim Davis's name would go, since being released she has actually altered the forms.  Here is a picture of the new changes.  (In the past I linked a picture of one issued while she was in jail.)  A better explanation into the legalities is here.

And from what I read in another article, she's not even allowing Brian Mason to sign the licenses as a deputy clerk, but is forcing him to sign as a public notary, thus further illegitimizing them.

Is anyone really delusional enough to still think this is about her "religious freedom"? She's gotten it and then some, yet she's still acting like a pissed off child. Why? Because her fame was on its last minute, and she wanted more.

• Like 11

And from what I read in another article, she's not even allowing Brian Mason to sign the licenses as a deputy clerk, but is forcing him to sign as a public notary, thus further illegitimizing them.

If that is really the case, I would think that would put her in contempt of the judge's orders. 

• Like 4

If that is really the case, I would think that would put her in contempt of the judge's orders. 

It really is the case. If you look at the picture of the license in one of the linked articles, it says "notary public" next to his name where it should say that he's a deputy clerk.

• Like 4

Is anyone really delusional enough to still think this is about her "religious freedom"? She's gotten it and then some, yet she's still acting like a pissed off child. Why? Because her fame was on its last minute, and she wanted more.

Yes, I read that in the motion before the court, and it's what I see on the document dated 9/14/2015.  It has also been mentioned in the media that the lawyers added a footnote to the motion regarding class action, but I haven't been able to verify that with original documents.  She's tried to completely remove the clerks office from the paperwork, but from what I've read of Kentucky law she cannot change the form itself.  So it wasn't an issue when they just left her name off, but it might be a huge issue not that she's changing the documents themselves, in essence altering public records.

• Like 4

I don't know if this article was already linked or not, but I'll post it just in case. 

The first part of the article (posted by Reuters, written by Steve Bittenbender) says...

In a filing with the federal judge overseeing a lawsuit against Rowan County Clerk Kim Davis for not issuing marriage licenses, the attorney for deputy clerk Brian Mason said he has "some substantial questions" about the new licenses Davis altered and gave him to issue after she returned to work on Monday.

He is concerned the licenses do not mention the name of the county. Davis has directed him to sign the licenses as a notary public, instead of as a deputy county clerk, Mason's attorney, Richard Hughes, said in the documents.

So it sounds like a lawyer (who represents the clerk who is actually issuing marriage licenses) is putting the info in front of the judge as to how much the documents have changed. 

ETA: Sorry. My post is a repeat of the one a few before this. I should have read the linked articles first.  :blushing:

And a cop who was entering the home on a domestic violence call, from what I'm reading.

I'm really having trouble getting my brain around this one. From what I can see, the cops were called because a guy is involved in some kind of domestic abuse situation with his partner. The guy tries to tell the cop not to come in, the cop comes in anyway because domestic abuse, the guy assaults the cop... and people are defending the abuser?

Well sure because the guy wasn't a young black person.

• Like 2

What does it mean to place the county clerk's office into receivership?

Control would be removed from that office and placed elsewhere. You may have seen this is the news recently-ish with police departments where an entire city PD is dissolved and jurisdiction placed with another department. Usually seen in the private sector in bankruptcy cases.

• Like 1